NY advice

NEU-YORK

Hi everyone, 

I"m heading to NY for one of the MSG shows in October but travelling from outside the US so making a holiday of it. 

Any tips or advice on cool things to see and do outside the normal google results? 

Any GNR related places to see? 

Cool bars? 

Thanks! 

You have to go to the 9/11 site. I think you may have to make arrangements before hand. Anyway, it's a must see.

I would bring tons of money to shop too.

Eat as much NY food as you can as it has the best bagels and Chinese and Italian places in the world. Deli foods too.

Just seeing GNR in MSG is going to be very cool too. My mom and uncle saw so many great rock bands there in the 70's and 80's.

Oh and get a hot dog from one of the vendors. Awesome!

God I so miss NYC so much especially the foods.

If possible spend an evening sitting on a stoop - like the front steps of a living space.  In some neighbourhoods people hang on their stoops and make a night of it.  Drink a beer concealed in a paper bag.  Take in the energy of the neighbourhood.  

Trash and Vaudeville clothing store is GnR related. 

Barcade is a cool bar, with arcades.  I think theres a few locations, I can only speak to one. 

These suggestions are hilarious, lol! @soon seems to know how to experience a city though.

-do not eat a hotdog from a stand

-the only good Italian is in Brooklyn, I can get you a few names of places as I don't pay attn to that

-NYC having the best food in the world is a myth and a lie on the same scale as Izzy didn't want to tour-tread carefully 

I don't drink so can't help you out on the bar front. What are you interested in doing? Do you want to see an off broadway play? Do you want to people watch? Do you want to hear a religious sermon and possibly be stabbed? What's your poison? 

19 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

You have to go to the 9/11 site. I think you may have to make arrangements before hand. Anyway, it's a must see.

I would bring tons of money to shop too.

Eat as much NY food as you can as it has the best bagels and Chinese and Italian places in the world. Deli foods too.

Just seeing GNR in MSG is going to be very cool too. My mom and uncle saw so many great rock bands there in the 70's and 80's.

Oh and get a hot dog from one of the vendors. Awesome!

God I so miss NYC so much especially the foods.

You don't have to anymore. You did have to a few years ago while it was still under construction, but now you can just show up. The memorial itself is free and totally open to the public, while the museum you have to purchase a ticket for (Which you can do right there). I don't remember how much the museum is - I did it once and I was underwhelmed by it. 

15 hours ago, Mendez said:

If you want the best authentic italian food, head over to Olive Garden

And go to Sbarro for some true New York style pizza. 

I agree with the sentiment that a lot of the good food is in Brooklyn, I can't name many restaurants in Manhattan offhand that are worth checking out. 

17 hours ago, Pishy said:

These suggestions are hilarious, lol! @soon seems to know how to experience a city though.

-do not eat a hotdog from a stand

-the only good Italian is in Brooklyn, I can get you a few names of places as I don't pay attn to that

-NYC having the best food in the world is a myth and a lie on the same scale as Izzy didn't want to tour-tread carefully 

I don't drink so can't help you out on the bar front. What are you interested in doing? Do you want to see an off broadway play? Do you want to people watch? Do you want to hear a religious sermon and possibly be stabbed? What's your poison? 

Hey there, I don't really want to get stabbed but an off broadway play sounds cool as does people watching and just getting  general buzz for new york. 

I love Soon's idea of drinking from a paper bag :D:D Sounds like Ice Cube in the Friday film. 

9 hours ago, Axl_morris said:

Having the audacity to call yourself NEU YORK, you should probably know the answers to your questions.

LOL 

23 hours ago, soon said:

If possible spend an evening sitting on a stoop - like the front steps of a living space.  In some neighbourhoods people hang on their stoops and make a night of it.  Drink a beer concealed in a paper bag.  Take in the energy of the neighbourhood.  

Trash and Vaudeville clothing store is GnR related. 

Barcade is a cool bar, with arcades.  I think theres a few locations, I can only speak to one. 

Great answer :D

That shop looks cool. I'm guessing the GNR connection is Axl's scarf possibly hat provider or is there some other connection?

16 minutes ago, NEU-YORK said:

Great answer :D

That shop looks cool. I'm guessing the GNR connection is Axl's scarf possibly hat provider or is there some other connection?

Glad i could help :).  I really do believe there is a buzz to that city.

I know Trash has a Slash connection for sure - theres a pic somewhere on here of the owner bringing slash a birthday cake.  Slash is definelty a customer, maybe Duff too?  No idea who Axls haberdasher is - could be trash?  Did a quick google and didnt see.

• Like 1

You want GnR related?

http://www.spaghettiincidentnyc.com/

sbarro is a US chain of the foulest pizza in existence and ditto for Olive Garden . You will vomit. They serve this slop in shopping malls across America to ensure their world champion status in obesity and cancer. 

If you want good NYC pizza , try Patsy's in Harlem, used to be an all Italian neighborhood . True brick oven pizza. During the day it will be you and the cops eating so be sure you don't have a warrant out for your arrest . There is also a pizza joint at the end of the block from the IFC theatre in the west village, you'll be there for the T & V shop that interested you.  Who the hell knows the name, no one, but it's packed. Get away from MSG to eat, tourist traps of prepared rat meats. 

I don't know where you are coming from and how open minded you are . I live in manhattan but go to Brooklyn for great Italian , Yemeni and Yugoslavian food. 

Aside from food, walk around west and east village and TriBeCa. You'll find plenty of cool shops like @soon directed you to. 

If you've never been here and want to get touristy, take a walk through Times Square and meet the Naked Cowboy, some naked guy with a guitar. The area will make you feel the full disease of capitalism and so have an exit strategy prepared.

Depending how long you'll be here, try to get advanced tickets to an off broadway play. I saw Woody Sez yesterday at the Irish theatre and it was great. 

Do you know where about you will be staying? I guess it doesn't matter much, you'll get the full train experience, but you don't want too much, it is not pleasant. Set up Uber in your phone and mix it up that way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm staying near enough to Central Park. Thanks for all the tips. Is MSG a safe area to commute around after the gig? 

What other safety tips should I note and places to avoid and subway stops not to get off at? The only one I can think of is not to walk around Central Park on my own after dark but not sure how true that is! 

So Uber is the way to go and not the yellow cabs? I'll probably move around by subway a bit during the day, I presume it's easy in NY. 

I'm there for 5 days so surely get a lot done. Can't wait!! 

Best pub in NY? Where will the GNR fans go after the gig? 

You should be fine wandering around especially near MSG. I went a couple of years ago with grandparents and a young child, we walked around at night a lot and it never felt unsafe.

I struggled a bit with the subway, I didn't find it as easy to navigate as London and outside of very touristy areas like Times Square I couldn't always locate the subway stations. This could just be my shit navigation skills though!

I always used yellow cabs just out of convenience but it does get costly if you use them a lot. I actually found the best way of getting around if you have enough time was walking, you also see more of the city that way.

If you get chance go walk on the High Line and visit the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum. They are less well known than some of the other attractions but really enjoyable, you could do both in one afternoon as they are close by.

We found this place that did great breakfasts and wasn't too expensive if you find yourself nearby.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d1238514-Reviews-Evergreen_Diner-New_York_City_New_York.html

Don't have much info about pubs as it wasn't that type of holiday but I'm sure someone can help with that. @Powerage5 might know.

Remember to budget for tipping up to 20% in anything service related.

• Like 1

I don't drink much in NYC either to be honest. Too expensive and usually don't have the time. 

The three best best recommendations I have are Stout (Which is near MSG), NY Beer Authority (Near Times Square), and McGee's (I think it's on 57th?). The latter I really only like because of the show I Met Your Mother connection though. 

If we have anyone here here who lives in/near NYC, they'd be a better choice to recommend pubs. 

Thanks! Stout looks nice and very near MSG. McGee's worth a visit too I guess and so will Tom's Cafe which was the front from Monk's in Seinfeld. 

Actually just google mapping out some attractions, it sort of looks like the whole general area is walkable and cabs are just necessary when I get tired or whatever. 

Have added that mueseum to my list too - thanks.