Happy Birthday Graeme!

Dazey

5 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Cheers Pishy! Can I ask the origin of your username by the way, because in Scotland it has some very distinct (and perhaps unintended) colloquial connotations...

Cheers!

i was worried about that, but didn't know what it may be. It's Farsi for kitten. Adult cats are often times called pishy as well even though there is a separate word available but it's a term of endearment , so if you see a cat, you say , "aw, pishy..."

forgot to add, im not the pishy, I love cats! 

Edited by Pishy

Ah, I feel horrible for drawing your attention to this,but the cat's out the bag now (so to speak), in Scotland we generally say "pish" where other English-speaking countries say "piss", so "pishy" in my head means "covered in urine"... It's cool though, I'll get used to it meaning kitten. It's the same, I have a very good Mexican friend whose actual name is "Fanny" and that's slang for "vagina" over here. I don't laugh when I talk to her (well, not much anymore).

Cheers @downzy !

Edited by Graeme

3 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Ah, I feel horrible for drawing your attention to this,but the cat's out the bag now (so to speak), in Scotland we generally say "pish" where other English-speaking countries say "piss", so "pishy" in my head means "covered in urine"... It's cool though, I'll get used to it meaning kitten. It's the same, I have a very good Mexican friend whose actual name is "Fanny" and that's slang for "vagina" over here. I don't laugh when I talk to her (well, not much anymore).

Cheers @downzy !

That's exactly what I thought but I figured I would know at least , lol! I've heard that used in films and also I've read all of Irvin Welsh's books. But I knew it as "pish" , I didn't know you had a pishy! 

No, it's good, now I'm relieved. That's funny about Fanny, particularly because in the US, it means "butt", but, we have Fanny Mae and women named Fanny. I had a friend that moved to the states and her co-worker was named Ann, which mortified my friend , that means #2 in Farsi. Im perplexed by Dick in the US because well, it's the same word that's used for an actual one. 

10 minutes ago, Pishy said:

That's exactly what I thought but I figured I would know at least , lol! I've heard that used in films and also I've read all of Irvin Welsh's books. But I knew it as "pish" , I didn't know you had a pishy! 

Well, if "pish" is the noun then "pishy" is an offshoot adjective. You wouldn't say "I'm away for a pishy" if you're going to the toilet... You would perhaps say "There's a bit of a pishy smell in here" if you were in a campsite toilet, or "It's been a pishy day" if you'd had a bad time at work, or "They're just a pishy wee team" if your football club was beaten by a lower-league side that they by all rights should never lose to.