Should g'nr do a deep cuts tour next year?

As things stand now, they're touring based on the name and the hits. The majority of people going to these shows aren't following the band day to day, for decades, all they see is that GNR is in town and they buy a ticket. They're not going to be happy if they don't get the hits.  The deep cuts can be swapped with other deep cuts but the hits have to stay.

On 29/08/2017 at 0:23 PM, ChristmasFnatic said:

Whose call is it in the end? Axl's? What if Slash and Duff suggest they play Bad Apples? Axl got the last say? Or maybe cuz the newer members dont even know the deep cuts? Lol

Axl gets the last say because it's Axl who has to sing and perform.  Like it or not, that's how it is.  As Axl once described it: he's a shield for the band, if they don't feel up for it one night, nobody notices; if he doesn't go out and 'win' each and every time, the crowd doesn't like it (I'm paraphrasing).

Many of the deep-cuts that we love so much are vocally, among the most challenging of GNR songs.  Axl struggles with Jungle; I have no desire to see him fuck up Perfect Crime, or Pretty Tied Up, for example.  I'd rather see old YT videos of those. 

What I wish they would do is an instrumental of Locomotive like they did for Paris soundcheck 91 when Jeff Beck was supposed to guest spot.  That would be super cool and I'm sure the crowd would love it.  

Also, I wish they'd swap Sorry for Riad and the Bedouins because that song rocks even with all the production - imagine how great it would be live with no effects?  It has a kickass bassline and it's fast and aggressive, much more exciting than Sorry.  He might find the high notes a bit much, but he could sing it in mid to lower register and it would still work.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

21 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

As things stand now, they're touring based on the name and the hits. The majority of people going to these shows aren't following the band day to day, for decades, all they see is that GNR is in town and they buy a ticket. They're not going to be happy if they don't get the hits.  The deep cuts can be swapped with other deep cuts but the hits have to stay.

That is how they would justify it. They do not inherently have to operate that way.

4 hours ago, AncientEvil80 said:

I wanna hear One in A Million. Then I might be a bit more interested in this "reunion" thingie and give them some points.

But obviously.... they don't have the balls to play it in this politically correct shit-show of a world.

Mainly because that would be idiotic.

6 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Axl gets the last say because it's Axl who has to sing and perform.  Like it or not, that's how it is.  As Axl once described it: he's a shield for the band, if they don't feel up for it one night, nobody notices; if he doesn't go out and 'win' each and every time, the crowd doesn't like it (I'm paraphrasing).

Many of the deep-cuts that we love so much are vocally, among the most challenging of GNR songs.  Axl struggles with Jungle; I have no desire to see him fuck up Perfect Crime, or Pretty Tied Up, for example.  I'd rather see old YT videos of those. 

What I wish they would do is an instrumental of Locomotive like they did for Paris soundcheck 91 when Jeff Beck was supposed to guest spot.  That would be super cool and I'm sure the crowd would love it.  

Also, I wish they'd swap Sorry for Riad and the Bedouins because that song rocks even with all the production - imagine how great it would be live with no effects?  It has a kickass baseline and it's fast and aggressive, much more exciting than Sorry.  He might find the high notes a bit much, but he could sing it in mid to lower register and it would still work.

No Riaad. That song is awful.

Maybe not a tour...why does everything have to be a tour? 

How about these assholes get a camera, go into rehearsals and do something like "hey this is Slash with Guns N Roses, we wanted to give you guys a look at a song we haven't done in a while..highly requested, but this is our attempt at Dead Horse"

then make sure Axl agrees to this little event. Post it on the YouTube channel. Whether it sucks or not, you got to play a song, the fans got a cool look, it didn't cost the fans at all. 

If the attempt sucks you don't even have to post it...but no we have an incompetent band that thinks it's better to have secrets and not talk at all. Their social media team sucks, their promotion sucks. The only time they post videos is from behind the stage so all we hear is Frank's awful drumming. 

But yes they should do something with the deep cuts, I'm just saying it doesn't have to necessarily be a tour. 

• Like 1

A bunch of good suggestions here..

They don't really need to do a total deep cuts tour but they could certainly dig a little deeper and switch it up a bit... Drop a CD song, a cover and 1 of the deeper illusions cuts they play now for a few of these.. Tweak the order and opening song to... I will be seeing my 3rd show soon.. Would be nice if they switch it up a little for the Arena tour.. 

Think About You
MORE Out Ta Get Me
You're Crazy.. Prefer the slow tempo but either
Reckless Life
Nice Boys
Move To The City
Mama Kin
Pretty Tied Up
Dust N' Bones
Bad Obsession
Dead Horse
Don't Damn Me
So Fine
Breakdown
Locomotive
Down On The Farm
Hair Of the Dog
Anastasia
Slither

19 hours ago, craiggunslover said:

I was thinking with this setlist getting pretty boring now after a year and half of touring the world..would it be a re-energizer for them and us the true fans to get a skin and bones tour like they did in 93 where they scaled it back and dropped the big stadium shows and extra band members and gave us deep cuts in the set list 

No, not at all. More covers, please...

Sorry, but come on... Of course they should change up the set list!!

11 hours ago, Modano09 said:

As things stand now, they're touring based on the name and the hits.

As things stand now, I've been a fan of this band for 18 years and have known them to do nothing else but tour based on the name and the hits :shrugs: SNAFU (except now they charge 3x as much)

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

On another note, one of the things I've been waiting for is Axl picking up an acoustic and starting the intro to Dead Horse. It would be my favourite moment of the entire tour instantly.

With duff showing him the power chords !!! Lol ahh good old day's 

15 hours ago, AncientEvil80 said:

I wanna hear One in A Million. Then I might be a bit more interested in this "reunion" thingie and give them some points.

But obviously.... they don't have the balls to play it in this politically correct shit-show of a world.

:facepalm: I bet you just think it would be so cool and badass to play a song live bitching out immigrants, f aggots, police and n iggerss right? And the fact they don't play it makes them pussies right?  Your post epitomizes the absolute worst of GnR fans. 

Edited by Bono

I think the way the setlist is made also has to do with his voice... not too many 'challenging' songs in a row and certain songs aren't played at all... that and they've always stuck to the same setlists, even back when... so this will never change.

4 hours ago, Bono said:

:facepalm: I bet you just think it would be so cool and badass to play a song live bitching out immigrants, f aggots, police and n iggerss right? And the fact they don't play it makes them pussies right?  Your post epitomizes the absolute worst of GnR fans. 

You obviously don't/can't understand the song and the lyrics, where they come from and what they mean. Nor appreciate one of the best compositions by GNR.

Therefore, your politically correct bullshit-induced post represents the absolute worst of GNR fans. 

15 hours ago, Dazey said:

Mainly because that would be idiotic.

Why? It's a "capolavoro" of a song. 

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I bought me an illusion and I put it on the wall. I let it fill my head with dreams of them playing Locomotive

This would be amazing. They have been playing COMA for a year and a half now.. That would be a good swap at this point.. It wouldn't even have to be a permanent one.. They could rotate between those two songs every few songs.. keep it fresh

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

On another note, one of the things I've been waiting for is Axl picking up an acoustic and starting the intro to Dead Horse. It would be my favourite moment of the entire tour instantly.

Another great song but I am afraid Axl would sound awful on that one...

6 hours ago, Bono said:

I agree.. I fucking love the song.. I love the lyrics, the gritty rhythm and that SOLO but I would never expect them to play the song live..

15 hours ago, Draguns said:

No Riaad. That song is awful.

15 hours ago, craiggunslover said:

I second that ,like hearing nails against a choke board for me yikes lol

Noooooo...how can you say that! I'm so not objective when it comes to Riad, I love it more than life itself. 

C'mon you must at least appreciate the bass in that song, yes? Yes?