The Days of Guns, & Raz's

I randomly came across this book on Amazon that has tons of stories about the early days of GnR.

It has lots of details and stories about Axl's time with LA Guns and more, I'm only part way thru it.

the book is described as:

'In the year of our Lord, nineteen hundred and eighty-five, a little ol' band called Guns N' Roses formed in Raz Cue's living room. And thus, Cue became the band's first manager... to be fired. With absolutely no hard feelings, Mr. Cue remained a trusted member of G N' R's inner circle for the remainder of the decade, allowing him to witness the iconic band tour the world's stages as they rose to the pinnacle of rock 'n' roll. When the Guns N' Roses party quit being fun for him, Cue stepped away from the swelling ranks of backstage hangers-on so that he might fully enjoy the band's incendiary performances from a fan-in-the-audience perspective.'

has anybody else checked this out?

http://amzn.to/2vpnlE2

51nD985h+zL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

never heard about raz cue

the book looks like a cool find.

read some reviews and got curious

ByAnna-Marie O'Brienon August 6, 2017
Format: Kindle Edition
This isn't a sweet, fuzzy memoir about a little rock n' roll band. This is a rowdy, in-your-face tale of survival - every bit as raw and real as GnR was when they exploded on the scene back in the day. Raz gives it to you hard and fast. There is no gloss or veneer on this story - at times it seems like only the hand of a divine force saved the Author from himself and the various circumstances he found himself in as a feral wild-child of the 1970's and 80's. His first-hand knowledge and early involvement with Guns N' Roses is an epic tale in itself - but when you finally comprehend the enormity of his circumstances, you'll realize what this dude has been through. He's tough. He's been through some sh*t - and he's lived to tell the tale. A great book that documents a time, a place, a band, and a generation.

ByOki Mommaon July 28, 2017
Format: Kindle Edition
I can’t believe how great this book is. Where has this guy Raz Cue been for thirty years. He’s funny, plain spoken, observant and a surprisingly good writer. I looked at the credits, thinking that all these rock ‘n’ roll books use ghost writers, but apparently, he wrote it all himself. The Days of Guns and Razs has tons of details about G N’R’s formation on through their AFD success and mega stardom. There’s stuff in there that I never knew. Even though the book is mostly about Guns N’ Roses, the parts that focus on Raz Cue’s early life, his misadventures and tragedies, are quite entertaining in their own right. Definitely a fun, informative read. So much so that I plan to read it again.

===

can you tell if the book actually has some "unknown/uncirculated" stories that we never read/heard before?

yeah the book has lots of stories I've never heard, including a great one about Axl's parents encouraging him to go to recording engineering school rather than return to LA at one point:

'he gave some serious consideration on taking up the offer to stay in Indiana and enroll in a trade school. He then spoke of an older rocker dude he occasionally saw walking around his hometown, with head hung low and a sad, shuffling stride. Axl described the guy as stylish and charismatic, while possessing an undeniable air of coolness. But Axl saw him as a broken man who never realized his dreams and returned to Indiana with tortured soul to daily regret the decision to give up on his dreams. I have no idea if that person ever really existed, or if Axl imagined what his future would be if he abandoned his own dreams by fleeing back home to mommy and daddy. Either way, Axl decided to “give it one more shot with L.A. Guns.”'

it sounds like the author was really close to the guys and he offers a very interesting perspective on the early days.   

His timeline on Slash & Steven joining the band also differs slightly from what I've previously read before.   I always read that they got Slash and Steven because the previous guitarist and drummer didn't want to travel to Seattle for the 'Hell Tour'.   Here the author writes, ''A few days before that first show with Slash and Steven, Axl happily reported of Duff arranging for G N’ R to play a gig in Seattle. By the time they hit the road, it had become a handful of West Coast club gigs, ultimately dubbed the “Hell Tour.'    This timeline implies that Slash and Steven were already in the band by the time the Seattle dates were brought up.  

1 hour ago, GhostOfPride said:

This timeline implies that Slash and Steven were already in the band by the time the Seattle dates were brought up.  

I assume his memories are not 100% correct, as Marc Canter's timeline seems to have more sense. That said, looks like a very interesting read, gonna give it a shot.