Is there a MEDIA BAN? What's the SCOPE of it? Will it EVER be lifted or IS IT FOR LIFE?

The media silence is a wise move, it helps to keep the mistique, nobody knows whats goin' on so everyone, even the ignored press, r talkin about 'em again.

It'll also help to sell the video I'm sure they're releasing after the tour.

I hope NITL dont get through 2018 so we'll probably get some answers and maybe some interesting announcements.

There's obviously not a media ban, given that Axl and Duff sat down together for a GNR centred interview, Axl sat down and gave his longest interview in decades with the China exchange,  Slash has talked about the tour briefly in interviews, Richard has done several print and video interviews mentioning the tour, their tour manager has done several interviews about the show, TB have even done an interview about the tour (in spanish though). 

There's no ban, but they obviously just prefer to not seek it out, they don't need the extra help and while that's the case they prefer to go about things with a level of secrecy.

I don't know that it's an official ban but more of a courtesy from axl's two band mates.  axl is the only one who would be put in the position to answer questions about stealing the gnr name, touring the world solo as gnr with no other band members, not to mention the questions about his fake gnr album made with hired  employees.  

If axl were painted into these corners by journalists he'd melt, he'd be forced to relive and justify the destruction of his prime years and band all lost to ego and terrible management.  

it's all about protecting axl from the truth of the mess he made.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

There's obviously not a media ban, given that Axl and Duff sat down together for a GNR centred interview, Axl sat down and gave his longest interview in decades with the China exchange,  Slash has talked about the tour briefly in interviews, Richard has done several print and video interviews mentioning the tour, their tour manager has done several interviews about the show, TB have even done an interview about the tour (in spanish though). 

There's no ban, but they obviously just prefer to not seek it out, they don't need the extra help and while that's the case they prefer to go about things with a level of secrecy.

Don't forget Frank interview with Modern Drummer magazine and both Dizzy and Melissa on LA Weekly. 

Heck even that Melissa's interviews was conducted by Art Tavana, a member here. 

Band interviews were common when profits were dependent on people coming out to shows.  With LiveNation taking most of that risk and giving the band upfront deals (though there might be sales targeted bonuses), the motivation to get out there and sell the tour just isn't there like it use to be.  

Moreover, why answer the questions that would only hurt the band's public relations.  I'm sure there are many reasons for why Axl, Slash, and Duff decided to reform and play under the GNR banner.  Money certainly isn't the only reason, but let's not pretend that if a lot of money wasn't being made that they would be on stage together.  Why sit in a room with each other and answer a question that will either be perceived as disingenuous or undermines theirs and the tours credibility?  

I think there's some kind of agreement about interviews. It's very unusual for Slash not to keep his fans informed (to a point) what he's doing, plans etc. I know in the past he's given interviews and had a 'no Axl or reunion' question ban but he still gave interviews and the interviewer would invariably slip a question or two in about banned subjects, sometimes he would say he's not gonna talk about it (Axl/reunion) because it gets misconstrued by the press.

I miss Slash giving interviews:max:

4 hours ago, soon said:

No idea if theres a ban or not, but certainly there have been very few interviews.  And out of those few interviews, one of them is Duff talking about buying a new pleasure boat.  Thats all one needs to know about NITL  :P

Aiheeseen liittyvä kuva

How long you have to tour to be able to buy this? Rough estimate?

Half of the rest of your lifetime ? :lol:

Edited by Fourteenbeers

8 hours ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

Don't forget Frank interview with Modern Drummer magazine and both Dizzy and Melissa on LA Weekly. 

Heck even that Melissa's interviews was conducted by Art Tavana, a member here. 

Yep you're right I forgot about the Melissa interviews, and Dizzys quick TV interview. Didn't see Franks Modern drummer interview, would like to see that. 

I hadn't read that Modern Drummer interview.  Two things stood out:

1- He uses click only for newer songs and not for entire song.

Frank: "I love click tracks. My biggest concern as a drummer is tempo and making sure that the pocket is as deep as possible. Once you’ve got the tempo locked, you’re free. There’s a lot going on live, so we play the newer songs to a click. But I’m in and out. I use some clicks for groove, to get into the song, to get out, even the middle."

2 - This honest answer about will he play on next Guns album:

Frank: "Man, I’m just hoping that if Guns continues in whatever form, I’ll be part of that recording process as well."

5 hours ago, soon said:

2 - This honest answer about will he play on next Guns album:

Frank: "Man, I’m just hoping that if Guns continues in whatever form, I’ll be part of that recording process as well."

That's another big clue to me that Guns will fold after this tour and Slash will go SMKC III and Axl with ACDC. This lineup was purely made to do one thing, this huge tour. They needed a well oiled machine to make this work, and they didn't want to waste time to fuck around with working out the Izzy stuff when all these dates were already booked etc, and there is of course now still the opportunity to do a huge tour with the AFD lineup later on. I'm just really glad there is no album planned with this lineup, cause when it comes to new music they gotta do it right, no Fartus or Melissa or Frank.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

they didn't want to waste time to fuck around with working out the Izzy stuff

it would take them five minutes to "work out the izzy stuff".

maybe two minutes.

axl: "hey izzy, we are looking to do a reunion tour. just the five of us. equal split, no bullshit. i promise you i wont do that 3-hour delay thing"

izzy: "oh... i see... yeah, it sounds pretty cool. lets do it"

===

DONE

===

ten minutes later, axl calls again

axl: "huh, izzy, i just forgot one thing"

izzy: "yeah"

axl: "you are ok to play my songs, right? slash and duff have agreed on it. they already learned most of them"

izzy: "your album?"

axl: "yeah"

izzy: (silence)

axl: "come on man, would you do it for me?"

izzy: "ah, fuck man, that's no guns n roses"

axl: "yes it is"

izzy: "oh man you did all them by yourself"

axl: "yeah"

izzy: (silence)

axl: "so?"

izzy: "ok. but i will play them like i would play them? ok? you dont want me to play them like those guys you recorded them with... right? I cant play like those guys... not in a million years... and even if i could play like them i wouldnt ever wanna play like them!"

axl: "huh... yeah... no... I mean, yeah, sure, you cant play them your way... i just want you to learn them and play them. would you do that"

izzy: "ah... fuck, man, lets just fucking do it"

===

DONE

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

They don't do interviews because interviews = new content and this band only specializes in rehashing old shit ad nauseum. 

If they're so shit scared of even answering pre-approved questions to the media, why not have their designated leech/errand boy Del James interview the band with softball questions and release it to the media or fan forums like they did w/ Chinese Democracy? 

Because they're too busy buying yachts and vacation homes to care. Even Dizzy can't be bothered. Axl bought him a new couch to crash on and gave him $20 for beer money.