09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

I just watched/listened to the whole thing. First 30 minutes or so were great, even with the really shitty sound on the stream you could hear that it was awesome but around Estranged it all went downhill, ended on a high note too, encore was amazing. Middle 2 or so hours were really streaky. Some songs were great some were really painful to listen to. Band sounded great to me and the same as usual, mix was atrocious so some might think it was up to them. 

8 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

FI4TVfi.jpg

No way, man. It's good to be a Billy Corgan fan... that guy has released so much music in his lifetime already. Next month he is releasing a new solo album, and next year probably a reunion with the Smashing Pumpkins. Nothing to complain.

1 hour ago, LA_0013 said:

The only way forward is a new album of bitchin hard rock in Axl's lower registers with the occasional high rasp. Even some AC/DC-esque songs that he's confident he can sing a la Out Ta Get Me.

Then tour the new album with selective cuts from the back catalogue.

Time to finally put Coma, YCBM, Jungle at al to bed. It's a young man's game singing an entire setlist of such songs.

An album full of songs like ITs So Easy, DTJ would still be cool - and at least they'd sound consistently good live

There Isn't a chance that they would get away with not playing Jungle. Besides, It has consistently been one of the better live songs. I agree with Coma and YCBM. 

14 minutes ago, EvanG said:

No way, man. It's good to be a Billy Corgan fan... that guy has released so much music in his lifetime already. Next month he is releasing a new solo album, and next year probably a reunion with the Smashing Pumpkins. Nothing to complain.

exactly, billy doesnt stop releasing NEW music, and thats always good even when the music isnt always good

• Like 1

Anyone who says Axl sounded good/great/awesome/orgasmic is being simply dishonest. And a huge moron.

Axl sounded like shit. He's worse than Jon Bon Jovi.

Like some people said, he doesn't need to sing any differently because the stupid fans will keep going regardless. He can sound like shit and his loyal defense force will be there to tell him he's awesome.

Also, shame on Slash. Mindless shredding is what he does best nowadays. And from a guy who wrote some of the greatest melodic guitar soloes of all time, it's a damn shame.

The hired drummer is also very bad.

The covers are all boring and show an uninspired group of millionaires milking the cow. You have to be really stupid to support this band by now.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Walleris said:

An honest question - is there an artist whose being a fan is more frustrating than Axl?

Possibly Van Halen, similar story that theres tons of material recorded that Eddie isn't arsed releasing, also there's 15 years of Sammy material that he pretends doesn't exist... irregardless of it being their most successful (not most popular with fans before anyone says it :P) period.

And I suppose Roth is fairly up and down live, forgetting lyrics and generally being flat as a pancake... but that's a career spanning issue.

I'd imagine there's a good few people who would say Metallica, mainly because some nuts just want them to go in and record albums that copy everything from Kill 'em all to ...and justice, on repeat.

2 minutes ago, maynard said:

Anyone who says Axl sounded good/great/awesome/orgasmic is being simply dishonest. And a huge moron.

Axl sounded like shit. He's worse than Jon Bon Jovi.

Like some people said, he doesn't need to sing any differently because the stupid fans will keep going regardless. He can sound like shit and his loyal defense force will be there to tell him he's awesome.

Also, shame on Slash. Mindless shredding is what he does best nowadays. And from a guy who wrote some of the greatest melodic guitar soloes of all time, it's a damn shame.

The hired drummer is also very bad.

The covers are all boring and show an uninspired group of millionaires milking the cow. You have to be really stupid to support this band by now.

Yeh I was so busy giving out about Axl, I forgot about Slash... some of the solos are just tasteless. Don't get me started on his solo spot:sleeper: Shred, shred, shred... 

Funny thing is, he used to be able to shred and still incorporate a good melody or interesting rhythm patterns, Nightrain, Dirty little thing, Paradise City, NV and ton of other examples. He's gone to shite in the last 5 yers or so, don't get me wrong he's not in Zakk Wylde (another used to be fast and melodic player, who can't anymore) wanky/shred territory, but he's not far off.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, victor.vFo said:

Just woke up from the show.

As happy as I am to see Axl/Slash/Duff live again, they could make a few changes that would make the experience much better. Axl's voice didn't seem so bad live, so it didn't bothered me so much, as other things did.

First of all, they could adapt the show to the festival. They have to realize that most people there were standing and walking for like 10 hours and therefore play a shorter set. Everyone close to me was totally without energy by the middle of the concert, I was singing and dancing to all the songs, but all parts of my body were in pain, and songs like Coma (wich I love, but is too long and the final part was just a lot of noise live) Sorry, The Seeker, the other cover that I forgot the name could be easily dropped, as people were just standing and looking and waiting for them to finish.

Another thing that bothers me is they extending the end of the songs, instead of just finishing the song and letting the crowd applaud and enjoy the moment, they keep playing and shredding and drumming for like one minute at the end of every song, and again, people just stare and wait for it to end, killing the response from the crowd to the songs.

Slash solos, too many and too long, again 99% of people just staring at each other and waiting for it to finish. I wish he just made a quick solo in the middle of Rocket Queen and then Godfather, I think everyone would love that.
And the worst part was that he didn't seem focused. He made a mistake on SCOM intro and in most of his iconic solos he was just shredding (last Estranged solo as an example), that was especially disapoiting to me, since I am such a huge fan of his.

All that being done the set could be reduced to like 2 hours or so and made the show much more dynamic. This is MY opinion but for what I could see almost everyone (if not everyone) close to me would agree.

Sorry for any english mistakes, since it's not my main language.

That was my exact take away after seeing the show (in person) twice. Lots of lulls in the set, and WAY too much Slash noodling. My friend went in loving Slash and couldn't wait to see him for the first time, he left saying he preferred Richard and that Slash's solo spots are really long and boring... not exactly what Slash is aiming for I'd imagine. This person is a huge Slash / old GNR fan, just never had the chance to see either before.

2 hours ago, blackieloveless said:

was axls voice shot because he was in Vancouver recording tracks with angus ?   :smiley-confused2:          or just because he is a lazy ass and has no time to prepare ?

oh wow!? being a die hard living in vancouver i had no clue...was there ever anything posted about that?

7 minutes ago, tberrie007 said:

oh wow!? being a die hard living in vancouver i had no clue...was there ever anything posted about that?

it was a rumor  i saw on an AC/DC forum , they were expecting angus to be at RIO  also which obviously didnt happen , after angus was a no show the thread is gone .

edit , thread is still there my mistake .

Edited by blackieloveless

38 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

He's gone to shite in the last 5 yers or so

Those five years would include Anastasia and Wicket Stone to name just two. That clip of him playing Anastasia in Australia is as good as he has ever played. He plays well on the Stoke dvd. Not sure about Guns though; he sounded alright - a bit lazy and going through the motions maybe - and how inspired can one possibly be playing the exact same setlist comprising thirty year old songs and more covers than an Elvis tribute act?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Theseeker123 said:

I dont give a fuck what anyone says that part during better where he says "I never wanted you to be........" is fucking awesome!!!! it aint perfect but they never claimed to be these  guys go out and just fucking tear it up you want perfect go see Bon jovi, Double talkin Jive was awesome too

lol, Is Bon Jovi your standard for perfection?

• Haha 2

This was pretty much bang on a year ago.

I'm actually completely perplexed at to how he can go from this level of take the roof right off bad-assery to the consistently struggling falsetto  efforts he can't get away from.

Not only is he short changing his fans, but his band members too.

Imagine those vocals on a GNR global live stream. Instead, we have to watch yet another  proshot concert through our fingers

Edited by LA_0013
  • Like 2

I just want to say my opinion this. I love Axl and I am unapologetic about it. I'm one of the few who will defend him more than most. But this discussion about his voice, whether it's actually shot, or he's doing it on purpose to save for AC/DC or something, makes me sad. I mean, he's proven that he can smash it with AC/DC. If he goes on tour with them next year and he smashes it, that is further proof. With that being said, why can't he just do the same with his own material? I get because it's his ship and he has control so if that's how he wants it then fine, but I don't know, just as a huge fan of this band and a huge fan of him I just wish he'd put that much effort into GN'R as he does AC/DC. 

Then again, his voice could be actually shot and exhausted after all this touring (which is understandable) in which case ignore everything I just said 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maynard said:

shame on Slash. Mindless shredding is what he does best nowadays. And from a guy who wrote some of the greatest melodic guitar soloes of all time, it's a damn shame.

exactly, slash's solos downfall are kinda shocking indeed, he is ok during the songs but on the solos he is really uninspired and uninspiring!

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Those five years would include Anastasia and Wicket Stone to name just two. That clip of him playing Anastasia in Australia is as good as he has ever played. He plays well on the Stoke dvd. Not sure about Guns though; he sounded alright - a bit lazy and going through the motions maybe - and how inspired can one possibly be playing the exact same setlist comprising thirty year old songs and more covers than an Elvis tribute act?

And world on fire was a great album filled with great moments, but live it's been up and down. I started noticing that he was getting a bit sloppy around the Apocalyptic love. Not a lost cause but as far as the untouchable fiery player he was in previous years? I'm not as bowled over. 

I see your point about not being inspired playing the same set, but go back and listen to the opening night in 2016 he was doing all the same stuff then too WAY before he should have been sick of playing the material (which he largely hadn't played in 20+ years). having said all that, I still love Slash and hope to (someday) hear some new gnr material with Slash.