09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

5 minutes ago, Manfisman said:

Just seriously tell me that this Axl doesn't have it anymore:

I think he is just bored as fuck of this tour. It is taking too long to end.

Picking one song from one show doesnt prove a thing. He is consistently bad on many songs. SCOM, YCBM, PC, NR, Estranged, Dont Cry, Civil War, Yesterdays, Coma, etc... Pretty much any UYI song. If he isn't screaming at the top of his lungs or using his lower voice, it sounds pure Mickey. The excuses are getting silly. He's just bored? Really? That's why he sounds like mickey mouse, 'cause hes bored?  

Edited by pugachev
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, pugachev said:

Picking one song from one show doesnt prove a thing. He is consistently bad on many songs. SCOM, YCBM, PC, NR, Estranged, Dont Cry, Civil War, Yesterdays, Coma, etc... Pretty much any UYI song. If he isn't screaming at the top of his lungs or using his lower voice, it sounds pure Mickey. The excuses are getting silly. He's just bored? Really? That's why he sounds like mickey mouse, 'cause hes bored?  

You have the whole 2016 USA tour where he sounded great. Then you have the AC/DC run. He still got it for sure. Yeah some songs sounds weaker (like SCOM, and YCBM) , but you can pick several examples of 2016 where songs like NR, Dont Cry, Civil War and even Coma sounded very good.

What I'm trying to say is as the tour progressed he started to sound worse on several songs. I think that is because he is not as excited as in the beggining, the novelty is off. Is just the same songs night after night, the autopilot is on. Autopilot = Mickey.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brunocfernandes said:

This CROWD sucks! In RIR 1991, people were jumping and singing SCOM like there would be no tomorrow. Now, they just raise their phones. I was at last show in Rio and the crowd sucked.

Sadly, it's not the crowd - see how they reacted to Alter Bridge the day before. And Myles was sick...

5 minutes ago, Manfisman said:

You have the whole 2016 USA tour where he sounded great.

No, not really. Sometimes he did but never for a whole show. Houston came closest to great and that's the concert i would buy on bluray. The shows are great when you're there but otherwise very hit or miss. IMO.

• Like 2

I wish sounding like mickey or "weak" was the only problem... He's out of tune, out of breath, out of rhythm. Mickey was the only problem like 15 years ago, now he doesn't even sound like a professional singer, as i said, even keeping on rhythm is a problem now, he constantly losts track of the song and starts singing on his own tempo

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Overall this show was very up and down. An improvement over Rio 2011? Sure, but thats not that hard to top, It was a disaster from top to bottom. 

Axl wasnt any worse than he's been the past few months, songs like Yesterdays, YCBM, RQ, UTLH, PC, NR, Michelle, and BHS sounded like they always do, shitty.Coma was a trainwreck, Axl's voice wasnt good throughout the song and then it fucking died at the end. I had not seen a full show of theirs in a while. Its a shame they're still doing extended jams all over the place, It kills energy so much. They would really benefit from trimming the fat off the setlist they are playing. In a festival setting, a lean, mean 18-20 set would have been really great. I know why they do all the jams, to give Axl room to catch his breath, but that shouldnt fly. If he cant cut it for such an extended set, then they should shorten it, and He should actually fucking prepare and rehearse, so that he can get it right without having to have all these momentum killers. 

Also, with pro shot, we got to hear Frank and Richard pretty clear(for the most part with richard, when his guitar sound wasnt being buried). Those guys shouldnt be anywhere near a new GNR album if there ever is one, IMO. They dont cut it. Frank is always all over the place and Richard's tone sucks. 

I oce heard from a person that played with them as opener this tour that the music is xxl loud purpously so that Ax's voice can be burried in that noise. I wasn't going to comment until I saw a pro shot where it is all sdb and mixed well, but that is definately true. 

Back in the day when everyone was fucked up, the band had much more edge, personality but also one could hear clearly Slash, Gilby/Izzy (when he wasn't turned off), Ax, Dizz... It wasn't this loud and muffled but it was played like it should be.

As for the other 3 on stage...I had said so many times that they should not be here that I really can't repeat anymore. But how share equally with Izzy, pay Matt and Gilby when those guys take 10k a month or something!? There is no way he will pay someone more as long as this circus works.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rendestroi95 said:

I wish sounding like mickey or "weak" was the only problem... He's out of tune, out of breath, out of rhythm. Mickey was the only problem like 15 years ago, now he doesn't even sound like a professional singer, as i said, even keeping on rhythm is a problem now, he constantly losts track of the song and starts singing on his own tempo

I agree. He looks lost on stage. Perhaps with ACDC the on stage volume is much louder and the drums are very simple. Might help him out

2 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

I oce heard from a person that played with them as opener this tour that the music is xxl loud purpously so that Ax's voice can be burried in that noise. I wasn't going to comment until I saw a pro shot where it is all sdb and mixed well, but that is definately true. 

Axl is usually very prominent in the mix, both on broadcast and at the shows themselves. I don't agree that he's ever really "buried".

No words for this performance, it's an absolute mess. At DTJ now and I can't say I've enjoyed too many moments so far. 

14 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

Axl is usually very prominent in the mix, both on broadcast and at the shows themselves. I don't agree that he's ever really "buried".

No words for this performance, it's an absolute mess. At DTJ now and I can't say I've enjoyed too many moments so far. 

And you've seen the best part of the show. I just listened to ending of Coma again. That was his worst performance ever, even worse than November Rain in 2011. He couldn't even speak the words at one point 

5 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

And you've seen the best part of the show. I just listened to ending of Coma again. That was his worst performance ever, even worse than November Rain in 2011. He couldn't even speak the words at one point 

I'm only at Better now, I paused after DTJ. Not sure I should hang around for that...

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

One other thing. Has Slash changed his pose a bit? This was Slash previously (basically to look cool), legs akimbo and bent, slightly leaning back, Les Paul low slung,

5221816621_94fc41aa0a.jpg

That is the quintessential Slash pose.

Now he stands straighter and more upright - like a normal stance basically - and his guitar seems slightly higher. He still raises his guitar vertically for the solos, and does those little Chuck Berry-esque leg taps (which Ashba infuriatingly imitated!).

You can tell I am an expert on Slash's guitar shapes. A misspent youth.

As my guitar teacher says "We've all done this, putting our guitar hanging almost touching the floor and saying hey, I'm slash, and the back pain comes in:lol:" so maybe he has some pain if he uses that pose and has changed to a more comfortable one

4 hours ago, blackieloveless said:

it was a rumor  i saw on an AC/DC forum , they were expecting angus to be at RIO  also which obviously didnt happen , after angus was a no show the thread is gone .

edit , thread is still there my mistake .

did you go to the Vancouver show as well? what did you think??

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Possibly Van Halen, similar story that theres tons of material recorded that Eddie isn't arsed releasing, also there's 15 years of Sammy material that he pretends doesn't exist... irregardless of it being their most successful (not most popular with fans before anyone says it :P) period.

And I suppose Roth is fairly up and down live, forgetting lyrics and generally being flat as a pancake... but that's a career spanning issue.

I'd imagine there's a good few people who would say Metallica, mainly because some nuts just want them to go in and record albums that copy everything from Kill 'em all to ...and justice, on repeat.

Van Halen and Guns N' Roses have many parallels. Decades long feuds between vocalists and rest of the band. Van Hagar and Velvet Revolver. Vaults full of material that fans would kill for. I remember back in 1996 after the brief in-studio reunion, that Eddie Van Halen claimed he would NEVER tour with David Lee Roth because Diamond Dave couldn't cut it live. 11 years later, Van Halen did their first tour with DLR In decades, and of course a key original member was missing (bassist Michael Anthony). Just like GNR In 2016 (2 originals  & Matt missing). In 2007, DLR was the MVP of the Van Halen reunion tour because Eddie was recovering from decades of alcohol abuse, and David Lee had something to prove. When Van Halen returned with a new album in 2012, Roth was coasting just like Axl is now, because he realized Van Halen had no mass appeal without him. By 2012, Eddie had completely sobered up and was on fire, which compensated for DLR's lack of ability. By 2015, the wheels had fallen off the Van Halen machine. David was on stage focusing on dancing and twirling instead of actual singing. While the band did dust off some DEEP cuts from the early 1980's and the musicians in the band put 110% into it nightly, it couldn't make up for the weakness in the vocals department. I caught the Van Halen show in Austin, TX on 9-21-15. While I am a MASSIVE Van Halen & DLR fan, that show was embarrassingly bad (check out my Austin 2015 master recording that is floating around, for proof). I fear GNR is heading down the same path Van Halen has blazed. The similarities of the careers of both bands is uncanny!

Edited by rockphantom

You know, watching this clip of the end of last night show I can see duff and slash not being happy (slash is all serious, I think he was mad at axl's) and axl's crazy face?  🤔.  Is it just me? All the comments I've read on social networks from Brazilian are good, like they said it was amazing 🤔

2 minutes ago, warrocks said:

You know, watching this clip of the end of last night show I can see duff and slash not being happy (slash is all serious, I think he was mad at axl's) and axl's crazy face?  🤔.  Is it just me? All the comments I've read on social networks from Brazilian are good, like they said it was amazing 🤔

Why would Slash care?, he plays guitar he doesn't sing he's most likely annoyed with the technical difficulties and he hit a few bad notes 

• Like 1