09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

1 hour ago, rendestroi95 said:

I wish sounding like mickey or "weak" was the only problem... He's out of tune, out of breath, out of rhythm. Mickey was the only problem like 15 years ago, now he doesn't even sound like a professional singer, as i said, even keeping on rhythm is a problem now, he constantly losts track of the song and starts singing on his own tempo

It's amazing once again that none of those are problems with AC/DC. He's always in the right pitch/key/tune, hardly out of breath. Those are things that one would believe that if you are bad at you will always be bad at, however with AC/DC none of those issues persist.

Is there too much going on in gnr. Too many sounds from too many people? Probably falls back on the lack of practicing with the guys he's on stage with imo 

• Like 1

The tour has gone on too long, this summer has been especially long.  They've been at it since May non-stop.  It's got to take it's toll both on the body and also how into it they're going to be.  They look bored here and almost rusty which seems impossible when they haven't stopped touring all year but something was off.

It's amazing this tour is still rumbling on, i kinda forgot they were even still going.  I wouldn't mind them coming to Europe next year but also woudn't be sad if they didn't if it's this same show now, it's kinda got stale I don't know how some of you guys watch and critique the same show every night.  Especially if this is the so painfully going through the motions point where they are at now 

• Like 1

"I'm positive both band and crowd (and Axl!) would benefit from a slightly shorter, more dynamic setlist."

My own comments are I think the band need to get rid of the covers and longish guitar solos (lose the godfather) and compact the setlist to make the remaining shows easier for Axls voice and makes the shows more punchy and to keep Slashs interest. Poor Slash must be completely uninspired at this point, 2 year tour and no major changes to the setlist not good for someone who has released and toured consistently since his solo record in 2010......wonder if he is sick of seeing Meeghan all the time. When Slash toured here is Aus back in 2015 he changed 1 or 2 songs per city to keep things a bit fresh. Even back then i could tell something was on his mind, his playing was flawless but he never spoke to the crowd once when I saw him in Sydney. Back then i suppose was when him and axl were conversing for the first time and was in the beginning stages of legal proceedings for divorcing perla so quite a few things on his mind. After seeing the RIR shows on youtube  I must admit im yearning abit for SKMC again. If this is Axls voice for the remainder of the tour, theres no way any new Guns or guns touring into 2018 is feasible. His voice needs a good rest. Really wish Slash would add "doin fine" to any SKMC shows in the future.

Edited by Sydney Fan

3 hours ago, rockphantom said:

Van Halen and Guns N' Roses have many parallels. Decades long feuds between vocalists and rest of the band. Van Hagar and Velvet Revolver. Vaults full of material that fans would kill for. I remember back in 1996 after the brief in-studio reunion, that Eddie Van Halen claimed he would NEVER tour with David Lee Roth because Diamond Dave couldn't cut it live. 11 years later, Van Halen did their first tour with DLR In decades, and of course a key original member was missing (bassist Michael Anthony). Just like GNR In 2016 (2 originals  & Matt missing). In 2007, DLR was the MVP of the Van Halen reunion tour because Eddie was recovering from decades of alcohol abuse, and David Lee had something to prove. When Van Halen returned with a new album in 2012, Roth was coasting just like Axl is now, because he realized Van Halen had no mass appeal without him. By 2012, Eddie had completely sobered up and was on fire, which compensated for DLR's lack of ability. By 2015, the wheels had fallen off the Van Halen machine. David was on stage focusing on dancing and twirling instead of actual singing. While the band did dust off some DEEP cuts from the early 1980's and the musicians in the band put 110% into it nightly, it couldn't make up for the weakness in the vocals department. I caught the Van Halen show in Austin, TX on 9-21-15. While I am a MASSIVE Van Halen & DLR fan, that show was embarrassingly bad (check out my Austin 2015 master recording that is floating around, for proof). I fear GNR is heading down the same path Van Halen has blazed. The similarities of the careers of both bands is uncanny!

this is one of the best, most insightful posts I've read in some time....and could not agree more.  

8 hours ago, tsinindy said:

this is one of the best, most insightful posts I've read in some time....and could not agree more.  

Thank you! I should mention that the Van Halen concert I caught in San Antonio, TX on January 24, 2008 was FANTASTIC, even though Eddie was wasted and missed some key spots. Diamond Dave was on fire and made up for Eddie's booze induced sloppiness. The Van Halen 2008 tour was halted about 2 weeks later so that Eddie could go into rehab. I caught Van Halen on June 22, 2012 in San Antonio, TX with the same friend and we both walked out after the gig, stating the 2008 show was far superior. I caught the Austin 2015 Van Halen show with another friend who had seen both San Antonio shows. He agreed that the Austin gig was a disaster and that Van Halen were dead in the water. The look on my friend's face in 2015 when DLR would attempt a high note was priceless. The law of diminishing returns was in full effect! GNR and Van Halen are my two favorite bands. I'm up for describing more of the parallels in a separate thread if anyone is interested. I know the history of Van Halen as well as I know the GNR story. Just let me know.

Edited by rockphantom
  • Like 1

This was fun for a while but now it's become a situation of not knowing when to call it a day.  

Axl gets all the heavy blame, & rightfully so because he's the centerpiece, but damn if Slash doesn't fuck up quite a bit himself.  He's shredding harder than ever but he's lost a bit of his touch & charm like he's got Yngwie Malmsteen Disease and can't slow it down anymore.