09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

2 minutes ago, action said:

in other news, aerosmith absolutely kicked ASS. the full, original lineup, energy, swagger, credibility, pure awesomness. the whole damn package, with 15 years more under their belt. why can't GNR deliver this, dammit.

Yeah, i was watching that live and couldn’t believe it. Steven, with 15 or so years more than Axl, can hit every single note. He gives 110% every night. Just amazing.

We need AXL/DC again so much

5 minutes ago, action said:

in other news, aerosmith absolutely kicked ASS. the full, original lineup, energy, swagger, credibility, pure awesomness. the whole damn package, with 15 years more under their belt. why can't GNR deliver this, dammit.

I've seem both Aerosmith and Bon Jovi at SPTrip on the weekend, Aerosmith is spectacular and Jon was better compared to what he did on Rock in Rio, but for sure the best band on both nights so far were Def Leppard... I dont even like their music, I hate all that generic 80's glam metal stuff but they were on fuckin fire.

18 hours ago, Theseeker123 said:

hahah! Good point!!! I guess I should rephrase.......... If you like shitty, mainstream, souless, streamlined, played the exact same every night music, go see Bon Jovi :D!

What's mainstream about Bon Jovi nowadays?

As for the rest GnR live is nowadays te same shitty, soulles, streamlined, played the exact same set every night Guns N' Roses does? As a matter of fact Bon Jovi are mixing up their set more often than GnR do, with their endless stream of covers and guitar solo's. There's no flow and despite the show being very long, it's just a lot of noise. For a band with as much experience as they have it makes no sense do play shows like these.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Theseeker123 said:

hahah! Good point!!! I guess I should rephrase.......... If you like shitty, mainstream, souless, streamlined, played the exact same every night music, go see Bon Jovi :D!

Bon Jovi has way more integrity as a band than GNR lol Even if you dont like it, BJ has been constantly releasing (quality) stuff since day one, Jon has obviously lost his voice but still can deliever a nice experience to his fans, the band lost their main composer and guitarrist but with no drama has just released an album and are doing a sucessful tour, changing their sets often and doing a fine job.

Dont embarasse yourself trying to undermine BJ to praise GNR.

Edited by default_
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

When was the last time Axl nailed a full proshot concert? Let alone a major worldwide broadcast like this

2006? 

He cant be sick every time. Its a lack of preperation. 2016 proved that imo

Yes, 2006 RAR in Germany. It was phenomenal... at least in comparison with this.

Damn i couldn't hear one entire song... if you are a casual fan and you hear SCOM you'll think it's a fck joke

2 minutes ago, default_ said:

Bon Jovi has way more integrity as a band than GNR lol Even if you dont like it, BJ has been constantly releasing (quality) stuff since day one, Jon has obviously lost his voice but still can deliever a nice experience to his fans, the band lost their main composer and guitarrist but with no drama has just released an album and are doing a sucessful tour, changing their sets often and doing a fine job.

Have they really released 'quality' stuff that ALSO sold fairly well since 2007? I mean its obviously still more than Guns releases, but I dont really think a lot of people will turn up to a Bon Jovi show (especially a festival) to hear the new album from A-Z. Those people want to hear You Give Love a Bad Name, Someday I'll be Saturday Night, Always, etc. etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, default_ said:

Dont embarasse yourself trying to undermine BJ to praise GNR.

Don't pretend Bon Jovi's all that nowadays. Their last decent record is over 10 years old and despite them playing to sold out crowds it's not really a band playing their but Jon and his whatever street band that's joining him. Bon Jovi sounds as much as Bon Jovi as NuGNR sounded like GnR. Many die hard fans lost interest when Sambora left and they've not really got a critical audience anymore since they went pop with It's My Life.

• Like 1

Just now, Sosso said:

More People than you think

Eh? Apart from the small group of fans that adore Chinese Democracy there's really no one buying tickets to hear a song like Sorry. Out of this board I've yet to meet someone who's buying tickets because he/she's going to hear anything of Chinese Democracy.

1 minute ago, default_ said:

By that logic, theres a lot of people goin to GNR concerts to listen to Sorry, Chinese Democracy, This I love and Better right?

lol

No, not really. You're bringing up Bon Jovi as an example of a band that releases new stuff people care for. All he's saying is Bon Jovi might've released new stuff, yet no one cares for it and thus people will go see the shows simply to hear the old stuff. Like with GnR.

Finally watched some footage of this one. At the end of the day it was just a basic 2017 GNR show. No more no less. Axl has trouble singing high notes with rasp, unless he's screaming. What else is new?

This wasn't anything especially bad compared to other shows this year. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that Axl sounds like this cause he has sounded like this all year long.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Italian girl said:

some of you deserve other 23 years without Gnr.

enjoy what we have now. don't be spoiled

I've still not seen a show because of Axl's voice so I think I've been doing just fine. What they're giving us now is not GnR.

10 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Finally watched some footage of this one. At the end of the day it was just a basic 2017 GNR show. No more no less. Axl has trouble singing high notes with rasp, unless he's screaming. What else is new?

This wasn't anything especially bad compared to other shows this year. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that Axl sounds like this cause he has sounded like this all year long.

I agree. But it's obvious this would generate more discussion since it's a live broadcast in HD and not some Periscope from some random fan.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Yeah, there's some major over-reaction going on in terms of Axl's vocals.  Nobody should be surprised by that, RIR or not.  Only thing I thought was worse than normal was the fact he was so noticeably breathless on each and ever song, even Easy.  

What is disappointing, and what everyone has a right to be royally pissed off about, is the obvious lack of care factor emanating from the band.  So odd, given it was RIR.  What happened I wonder?  

Those last few NA shows were outstanding in general, and if Axl's vocals weren't great, he at least showed he was having a good time.  The band seemed to be having a good time.  Remember how we were all impressed with their renewed energy and how they all seemed genuinely happy to be there?  The jokes with the crowd?  The clowning around on stage with one another?  Where did that spirit go for RIR?  Weird.   Didn't seem like they really wanted to be there, summed up by Axl when they experienced technical difficulties and you could just tell by looking at him that he wanted to go home there and then.  "Shouldn't have given up my stand up career," I think he said, and did he roll his eyes?  I mean, I felt for him, but still...it was obvious he was not a happy camper.  

Also, am I the only one who thought Slash's guitar tone was a bit...different?  Brittle?  I can't describe it...just didn't sound right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, there's some major over-reaction going on in terms of Axl's vocals.  Nobody should be surprised by that, RIR or not.  Only thing I thought was worse than normal was the fact he was so noticeably breathless on each and ever song, even Easy.  

What is disappointing, and what everyone has a right to be royally pissed off about, is the obvious lack of care factor emanating from the band.  So odd, given it was RIR.  What happened I wonder?  

Those last few NA shows were outstanding in general, and if Axl's vocals weren't great, he at least showed he was having a good time.  The band seemed to be having a good time.  Remember how we were all impressed with their renewed energy and how they all seemed genuinely happy to be there?  The jokes with the crowd?  The clowning around on stage with one another?  Where did that spirit go for RIR?  Weird.   Didn't seem like they really wanted to be there, summed up by Axl when they experienced technical difficulties and you could just tell by looking at him that he wanted to go home there and then.  "Shouldn't have given up my stand up career," I think he said, and did he roll his eyes?  I mean, I felt for him, but still...it was obvious he was not a happy camper.  

Also, am I the only one who thought Slash's guitar tone was a bit...different?  Brittle?  I can't describe it...just didn't sound right.

Yeah the whole vibe seemed off. There were some weird moments, like the end of jungle and the beginning of dtj. And Slash was noodling a lot more than usual. His tone was a bit darker this time, more low mids than usual. It seemed to change each song though.

I think if they had done a couple warm up shows in the week before this show they would've been better prepared and warmed up, both Axl's voice and the rest of the band.

For the people saying Bon Jovi's voice is shot, there is no comparison to Axl. Jon sounds weaker but hit the notes without sounding like he was dying. Tyler was also at RIR and was nearly 70 doing songs like Dream On. There's no excuse. Prep is everything.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

13 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah the whole vibe seemed off. There were some weird moments, like the end of jungle and the beginning of dtj. And Slash was noodling a lot more than usual. His tone was a bit darker this time, more low mids than usual. It seemed to change each song though.

I think if they had done a couple warm up shows in the week before this show they would've been better prepared and warmed up, both Axl's voice and the rest of the band.

There definitely were some weird moments.  Some good ones, too.  Double Talkin Jive was excellent I thought - even with that brittle guitar tone, probably because it suited the song and I didn't mind the beginning, but I quite like 'different and experimental'.  Axl's vocals on DTJ were awesome.  Best of the night.  

I didn't think the entire show was a train wreck.  They managed.  It was ok.  That's what's annoying.  It was fucking RIR and Guns N' Roses did an ok job.  We never learn do we?  Even with adjusted expectations we never fail to be bitterly disappointed when they don't do what we all know they are capable of doing.  Those guys are perpetually underachieving.  

I think they need to have all their mansions, boats, Harleys etc taken away from them, the same way Duff and Izzy took away Steven Adler's excess drum kit - make them live frugally for a while - might ignite the old desire to prove themselves? :lol: