If GNR would have reunited sooner, would that tour have been more than just a boring cash grab?

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Doom and Gloom got a bit of airplay. Play Ball got a bit of play. Black Ice, the album before that, was even a hit album! The hardcore fans, even if they are a small minority of their given crowds which tend to be very casual, enjoyed some of those band's newer material.  

Black Ice is by far my least favourite AC/DC album. Rock Or Bust was much better (even without Malcolm). 

My favourite albums from from the second Rudd era are Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip.

Edited by Sosso

7 hours ago, Tonto said:

So you haven't been a to a single Guns N Roses show? What's the matter, your mommy won't let you?

You haven't been to a show and you have no idea what you're talking about. No one cares that you "personally" don't see new music happening, you're not involved, you don't even go to the shows, you have an uniformed opinion, it's worthless. The setlist is great, it does it's job, they don't play the shows for you, they play them for the people who actually turn up and see the band play live. 

Being as though I haven't lived with my mommy in more than 2 decades, no, I can't cite her as being the reason why I'm not interested in attending another NITL cash grab. I guess i'm just not interested in seeing another show where fat Axl and Slash are a laughable parody of their former selves, OR a show where i have to tolerate no-name hacks because the core 3's greed prevented them from getting other classic members back in the fold.

Also, it's pretty obvious now that Izzy WAS the brains behind the band, and now that he's gone, Axl and Slash are relegated to playing the exact same 30 year old songs for the millionth time. The most unpredictable thing about this cash grab is which deceased musician's hit will they cover for this leg of the tour. 

Yeah .. I'd want to pay to see that 4-10 times. LOL. 

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

Black Ice is by far my least favourite AC/DC album. Rock Or Bust was much better (even without Malcolm). 

My favourite albums from from the second Rudd era are Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip.

My favourite is Black Ice.

• Like 1

It still would have been a cash grab and I'd never trade all the VR shows I got to see for it, but if they reunited in 06/07 it would have been amazing. Axl's voice was super strong in the 06 shows and combine that with everyone else being 10 years younger as well, it would have had a lot more energy and felt a little more like what GNR used to be I think.

I think it would have been really compelling if they had gotten together around say '99 - right around the time GnR was becoming retro cool again. It would have been a massive event - especially with nu-metal, industrial, post-grunge, and all the crap bands of that era on the wane. Their competition would have been Linkin Park. Every year after 1999 was a case of diminishing returns for the reunion.

1999-2004 was probably the sweetspot - if they had come out with an album and toured, they could have taken the rock crown back and dominated the industry like the old days. It would have maybe even redeemed them for sitting out the 90's because they would have avoided potentially putting out an underperforming or critical misfire like Metallica's Load/Reload - especially to a hostile press and an increasingly apathetic public. People missed GnR by the late 90's. They were gone just long enough at that point for the mid 90's backlash to have faded.

2005-2006 wouldn't have been as big or compelling, but it would have been the last chance for them to make a major statement as a band in the industry. They were all still relatively young, healthy and probably at the end of their "peak" creatively.

As a fan, I remember losing interesting right when Axl missed the intended release date of November 2006 for Chinese Democracy. I think a lot of people gave up at that point, especially casual fans. Not only in chinese democracy, but in a reunion and ever seeing these guys together as a relevant musical force again.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

My favourite is Black Ice.

Why?

I have to admit that I like some of the Songs. Rnr Train, Big Jack, War Machine, Stormy May Day, RnR Dream and Black Ice are all great. The other Songs are fiillers.

Edited by Sosso

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Why?

I have to admit that I like some of the Songs. Rnr Train, Big Jack, War Machine, Stormy May Day, RnR Dream and Black Ice are all great. The other Songs are fiillers.

Just do. Big rock n' roll songs (Ballbreaker and SUL lacked). Do not really mind the filler so much as the band sound like they're enjoying themselves. Why does one like any album?

That nagging riff in the title track might have been their best thing in years, and Angus' slide work on Stormy May Day are two highlights.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Just do. Big rock n' roll songs (Ballbreaker and SUL lacked). Do not really mind the filler so much as the band sound like they're enjoying themselves. Why does one like any album?

That nagging riff in the title track might have been their best thing in years, and Angus' slide work on Stormy May Day are two highlights.

I really liked the blues rock elements on Stiff Upper Lip. I think that this album led them very well into the new century. 

21 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

I don't know if people who went to the shows were bored or not, but generally speaking, this semi-reunion has been Bore-Fucking-City. Many who attend the live shows are drinking alcohol or are amongst friends, so that might help to compensate some for the predictability, shitty vocals, missing classic members, and lack of creativity. 

Seriously .. you attended 10 shows?? Hopefully you at least saw them change up a cover or two. Lol.

How is it Bore-Fucking-City if the people actually at the shows were not bored?  At the two I saw last year everyone was having a great time.  And I didn't drink alcohol at the shows I saw (not counting the bars I went to afterwords) and having someone I know next to me doesn't magically alter the sound of the show.  

It may be Bore-Fucking-City for those only looking at the list of songs on a computer screen, but then again who cares about that?

Edited by WhazUp
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, EvanG said:

A band 'reuniting' just to play greatest hits tours will always come off as a money grab no matter at what point in their career they do that.

I don't necessarily disagree, but as referenced in my initial post, most members still seemed somewhat motivated back in 2002 & 2006. Axl was still recording music at that time (despite the material being a disappointment), Izzy wasn't fully retired, and this was before Slash was just a caricature of his former self. Plus, they would have still been younger, and possibly not completely consumed by money as they appear to be now. 

IMO, we very well may have gotten more than this uninspired & obvious cash grab that we currently have going on.

Edited by todreamofwolves

I think the "cash grab tour" is one of the most stupid things I ever read in my life, I hate this sentence since last year... Every tour is a cash grab, no one will ever play for free... if you are not happy with setlist or members in the band, don't waste your money talking non sense stuff online, just dont go to the freaking concert

• Like 3

4 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but as referenced in my initial post, most members still seemed somewhat motivated back in 2002 & 2006. Axl was still recording music at that time (despite the material being a disappointment), Izzy wasn't fully retired, and this was before Slash was just a caricature of his former self. Plus, they would have still been younger, and possibly not completely consumed by money as they appear to be now. 

IMO, we very well may have gotten more than this uninspired & obvious cash grab that we currently have going on.

izzy isnt fully retired man, he surely slowed down the new releases, but last year he gave us a some pretty good new songs!

and a couple of pretty fun acoustic covers!

2 hours ago, cqleonardo said:

if you are not happy with setlist or members in the band, don't waste your money talking non sense stuff online

oh thanks for giving clear orders!

its such fun when people tell other people to shut up on an online DISCUSSION forum!

its such fun when people tell other people what to do!

its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much in the spirit of GNR!

its endless fun!

please give more orders!

:rofl-lol:

2 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I don't know if there's a year, a setlist, a line up or an album they ever could produce that wouldn't have people bitching about one thing or another.

guns n roses 1985-1990

it was fun bro

sorry you missed it!

Edited by ludurigan

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not even think I can disagree with that statement.

In my ideal world Stradlin would write all of the songs on a Guns album then Guns would proceed on a raggedy arsed tour of clubs for a year before repeating the process.

i wonder if GNR were the "size" of the ramones in terms of success and if they released one album after the other just like the bruddahs

that would be too good to be true

i think i would have gone to esach and every club show that there was to go!

22 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

izzy isnt fully retired man, he surely slowed down the new releases, but last year he gave us a some pretty good new songs!

and a couple of pretty fun acoustic covers!

Didn't Niven or someone similar just say that he's "hidin' out, laying low" ;) at the moment and doesn't want to be found, BUT he's in the process of putting songs together. Izzy is definitely not retired. He's as retired as he's been since the day he quit GNR, which basically means, he comes and goes when he wants, releases music when he wants and basically there is no clear defined schedule... well none at least that he's willing to share. 

As far as the idea of Izzy writing the majority of A new guns album, I'd be fine with that... but I'd be fine with anyone writing the new guns record if it would just get the frigging ball rolling on it. But those songs would need a good going over by Slash, Axl and Duff and co because as much as I love Izzy, some of his stuff can be a little repetitive... same goes for any band (Devin townsend, Opeth ar he exceptions) with one songwriter. Best part of the idea of Izzy writing the entire thing would be that he'd have the songs together in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Didn't Niven or someone similar just say that he's "hidin' out, laying low" ;) at the moment and doesn't want to be found, BUT he's in the process of putting songs together. Izzy is definitely not retired. He's as retired as he's been since the day he quit GNR, which basically means, he comes and goes when he wants, releases music when he wants and basically there is no clear defined schedule... well none at least that he's willing to share. 

As far as the idea of Izzy writing the majority of A new guns album, I'd be fine with that... but I'd be fine with anyone writing the new guns record if it would just get the frigging ball rolling on it. But those songs would need a good going over by Slash, Axl and Duff and co because as much as I love Izzy, some of his stuff can be a little repetitive... same goes for any band (Devin townsend, Opeth ar he exceptions) with one songwriter. Best part of the idea of Izzy writing the entire thing would be that he'd have the songs together in a few weeks.

best thing is to have them all in the same place for two weeks

i bet quality music would just fucking POUR out of them

17 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

Being as though I haven't lived with my mommy in more than 2 decades, no, I can't cite her as being the reason why I'm not interested in attending another NITL cash grab. I guess i'm just not interested in seeing another show where fat Axl and Slash are a laughable parody of their former selves, OR a show where i have to tolerate no-name hacks because the core 3's greed prevented them from getting other classic members back in the fold.

Also, it's pretty obvious now that Izzy WAS the brains behind the band, and now that he's gone, Axl and Slash are relegated to playing the exact same 30 year old songs for the millionth time. The most unpredictable thing about this cash grab is which deceased musician's hit will they cover for this leg of the tour. 

Yeah .. I'd want to pay to see that 4-10 times. LOL. 

They would still be "fat" if Izzy and Slash were there.

So you want the line up to include the OG5, you want Slash and Axl to not be fat anymore, anything else? Hair cuts, change of clothing? What else can we do to make you happy?

Izzy the brains of the band? If you like, but him and Steven are by far the least successful members of the band since they left, so not sure how you come up with that, but whatever you like. This is all for you.

8 hours ago, Tonto said:

They would still be "fat" if Izzy and Slash were there.

So you want the line up to include the OG5, you want Slash and Axl to not be fat anymore, anything else? Hair cuts, change of clothing? What else can we do to make you happy?

Izzy the brains of the band? If you like, but him and Steven are by far the least successful members of the band since they left, so not sure how you come up with that, but whatever you like. This is all for you.

Define success?

Since leaving Guns Stradlin has released eleven solo albums.

Since Stradlin left Guns Rose has released one (original) studio album.

On 8-10-2017 at 11:34 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Yes. Don't forget that the hype of the VR thing was just before that, 2004ish. Rose had that mystique factor in those days. Imagine if there had been a pooling of ideas and a Guns release instead of VR and (the much later) CD?

while i agree axl had some air of mystique in 2006 and before, i'm not sure that's what i'm looking for in GNR.

during the appetite days, it sure wasn't the main draw. it was about kick ass music first and foremost.

so i guess, if music was made in 2006, it would stilll be a mixture of paranoia and melancholy. totally anti-appetite, in other words

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Define success?

Since leaving Guns Stradlin has released eleven solo albums.

Since Stradlin left Guns Rose has released one (original) studio album.

I define success the same way most people do; album sales, concert turn out, charts, money, etc. GN'R, VR, Slash, Loaded, KOS, have done very well since the old line-up split, selling millions of albums and playing to millions of fans all around the world. Izzy? Not so much.

Izzy has released eleven solo albums, yeah, but they're mostly homemade, self released on iTunes, RS rip off's, with low quality microsoft paint covers. No one outside the forums even know they exist, that's hardly the brains of the operation, is it?

If you like his solo tunes, that's great, I don't, I think they are bland and derivative. Slash, Duff and Axl on the other hand have produced many, many songs over the years that I love and that many, many fans love. Collectively they have done very well in that regard, post Juju Hounds, Izzy didn't even make a dent. 

Edited by Tonto