Serious question about members on this board "Gnr in concert"

I know that everybody on this board loves GNR  that is why I have loved it from day 1 - whether it was the real  GNR -which is where I fall into  - I still came on here year after YEAR and loved reading the enthusiasm from everybody . There are the post Slash GNR fans and their  love of AXL and his version of a band , which after a million listens I finally GET IT , no so much for years but I understand as a lifer AXL is a little different which makes him great - 1 of the best singers and frontman of all time.

I would like to know how many members have been to the new shows or any other era shows -  I have been to the "NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR 2016-2017" in Nashville and Winston Salem , The band is tight as hell , SLASH is playing on par with the top players in the world always has - He  has carried the tour for almost 2 years with outro solos , intro solos and impromptu jams which is just like he did when this band started , AXL to me has been the closer , I love AXL ROSE from his bad ass attitude to his  once in a lifetime lyrics and stage presence , A lot of members on here have put him down for his vocals , I have been to 2 gigs and his voice is great , Louisville is gonna be my 3rd of this leg of the tour , IF you havent been to a gig how can u criticize AXL off a youtube or a periscope video  or SLASH  either , live they are better than any gig on this EARTH right now .  I just wish the members that haven't been to a show  stop being  so critical of the band especially AXL when u have no legs to stand on -LOL

DONT WORRY ABOUT AXL , HE STILL HAS IT , GO TO  A SHOW AND HE WILL SHOW YOU 

Edited by TMAC20

I've been to 4 Not in this Lifetime shows. Axl was impressive in Arlington. The Vegas shows he was decent and had a ton of power in his voice, and in El Paso there were times I wondered if he were a professional singer. 

Dont get me wrong he was great at times at the El Paso gig this year, but after DTJ his voice got loose and by the time he got to TIL he wasn't even close. His voice was going in and out. He looked like he lost some power, he had packed on a few pounds. It just wasn't very good as a whole. Very few songs got him going. The rest of the show he seemed to be in a daze of sorts. 

Not sure if fatigue is setting in or what. But if you look at the current show in Philly, he's not working out anymore, seems to be eating unhealthy, his voice is thin. This tour can't end soon enough. 

I saw Axl in 2006, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016 (with both Guns and AC/DC), and 2017.

I've seen him in the "good" years as well as the bad ones. He was noticeably weak at the 2017 show but I still enjoyed myself because the overall show was good and the band was tighter than the year prior. Obviously the whole gig runs like a well oiled machine now. Mickey is still mickey though, and weakness is still weakness.

I never get the whole "oh you can't judge him on YouTube videos" argument. Why not? How do we explain all the amazing videos from 2016 and the AC/DC shows? It only seems to apply when Axl sounds bad. How dare we criticize him! Yet if he sounds good nobody uses the YouTube argument. Like Tom-Ass said - how do we account for the soundboards and pro-shots then?

I genuinely think Axl is just tired and needs a break at this point. He brought it again for that Billy Joel performance a few months ago which proved he definitely still has it, but otherwise I think fatigue has been setting in. He's not a spring chicken anymore and the tour has been long.

That doesn't mean he gets a free pass. Just because we are all Guns fans doesn't mean we need to bow down and worship every last detail of the band and unconditionally support everything they do. It's that goofy "true fan" argument you see all across the internet. Oh, you don't like something that I do so you aren't a true fan!

No. With the ticket prices there should at least be consistency since literally every other band on the planet, both younger and older, seems to be able to provide that. Is Axl being lazy? Maybe, maybe not. But poor vocals are poor vocals and making endless excuses for him only justifies him being able to continue doing so.

• Like 4

that was from a vid I took 2 weeks ago at Sao Paulo. I was almost front and center. 

People here been saying you wont notice Mickey when watching them live. Some even say Youtube vids make him sound bad, but when youre there, he sounds great. Well, I went there expecting greatness, and yes, you dont notice because the crowd is too loud, but when you do, its Mickey 95% of the time. I dont know if he sounds better if youre far back, but front and center, he doesnt. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the show, but I can say Axl is the weak link. And watching Aerosmith and Bon Jovi a few days before Guns, I can say Steven Tyler really is not human, and waaay ahead of Axl. And Jon Bon Jovi, despite his hardcore fans saying he lost his voice, still sounds like Jon... Axl doesnt sound like the Axl I knew. 

Edited by ChristmasFnatic
  • Like 3

Ive only seen Guns a few times.  Three times in NuGuns and once on NITL.  Two back to back shows in Canadian run 2010 showcased a different Axl in each show.  One other worldly and one simply incredible.  Next year he and his band were garbage.  NITL show I saw had Axl somewhat low in the mix.  In hindsight I realize that I wasn't primarily focused on Axl.  I really liked the show and Axl was still doing his 2016 best.  Had a great time.

The current performance is keeping me from the next run - but manly since Im on a budget.  If I wasnt on budget Id still go despite the performance.

If he starts singing like his legendary self with Angus again, I will be seriously pissed!

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Saw them in Worcester 91 and they were great.

Saw them in 92 with Metallica.. Metallica was a tough act to follow and the whole traveling circus and biker shorts started to be a bit comical.

Saw them in 93 and it is still to this day the best show I have ever been to in my life.

Saw NuGuns in 2002.. Axl sounded great but the freak show band was a joke... We left a few songs early.

Went to the first Vegas show.. Anyone who said Axl sounded great was high on drugs.. It was a great experience but the band chemistry was seriously lacking and it showed. It was also apparent that this was basically still NuGuns with Slash plugged in..

Saw them last summer and they were much better. Axl sounded great at times and like crap at others but Slash would pick up the Slack when needed. Overall it was a really good show. 

Going again in a couple weeks and honestly not super excited about it, especially after seeing they are doing 5 CD songs now.. The covers are boring as hell too.. I liked I feel good at first but it kind of just sounds like a mess now.. Axl has no idea what he is doing in it. 

It is Bullshit when people say you can't tell how good Axl sounds from Youtube or Periscope.. You certainly can.. There are nights when he sounds substantially better on youtube and periscope.  I guess that doesn't come into affect on those nights?  What about soundboards like the Apollo and RIR when he sounded like ass? Some of his imperfections are just covered up live from the high volume of the instruments and the 30,000 people singing along. 

Axl has had some holy shit moments especially last summer but just as many if not more cringe-worthy ones.. I understand he is older and can't do it anymore but no need for people to over state how great he sounds.. When he sounds ok and just not terrible on songs like Estranged and Coma, people say they are great performances.. Go back and listen to old ones if you really want some perspective. 

The band has gotten tighter but they are in no way as tight as any of the classic Era bands.. It sounds very forced and stale much of the time. Slash was playing much better with his last band and that is a fact. 

I still go.. I haven't missed a Slash show in decades. Unless I am blown away in a couple weeks I don't know if I would go if and when they come around again. The whole reunion has been like a roller coaster going from greatness to crap over and over again. They were the greatest band in the world at one time. Having to relive that again to some degree has been a blast. But there also things that could and should have been so much better. That is very disappointing... If it was better I would have went to a lot more shows. 

my shows ranked

1) Boston 93

2) Worcester 91

3) Foxboro 92

4) Foxboro 2016

5) Vegas 2016

6) Boston 2002 * NuGuns

What made the 93 show better than the 91 show for you?

Well, sometimes the criticism can be overwhelming in certain threads and sometimes a thread will descend into irrational doom and gloom (see RIR) but on the whole, I think opinions about the band are fairly evenly balanced on the forum.  

You get your super positive fans where the band and Axl can do no wrong and you get the super negative fans who are basically not even on here anymore for the band, but for social reasons, and then you get everyone in between.  

I don't really see that there's an issue about the attitudes of fans on the whole here.

Actually, I really like the diversity in opinions.  It makes for more interesting discussion, that's for sure, and certainly makes you see things from other people's perspectives. 

I saw Guns for the first time this summer, in London, and I had the time of my life but it does't stop me from being critical of the band where criticism is warranted.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

I've been to the following;

Wembley 91

Wembley 92

Milton Keynes 93 (2 nights)

London Stadium 2017 (2 nights)

I loved all the 90s ones for different reasons. 91 was so LOUD and i got to hear new stuff before UYI came out. Izzy was still in the Band. Fantastic show.

92 was great because i knew every song but i didn't care for the whole added circus of Tracey,Roberta etc 

93 was amazing because of the stripped down set and acoustic bit and on night 2 we had Ron Wood and Mike Monroe guest and i got to see Gilby and Izzy on the same stage.

2017 was good but strange. Night 2 was better. Slash and Duff made the show for me.

• Like 1

I only saw Newgnr, both times in Newcastle. 2006, Rose's voice was excellent but he pulled the lateness thing and then had a hissy fit and stomped off at the end. 2012? It was alright I suppose. You know how the band were heading then, Ashba Hogan ears, out of shape Rose with a moustache, constant doodling while Rose powders his nose backstage, a distinct tacky whiff of Vegas about the whole thing? It was typical of that era. I did see Izzy on the 2006 one!!

I saw Snakepit in 2001 (I think) and that was a good show.

Didn't have much interest in the NITLT thing. I might've been tempted if they actually could be arsed to play further north than London but I think I'm so disillusioned at this point, and that I haven't listened to the band in such a long time, that it would have always been a hard sell, no Izzy being the final nail.

7 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

I know that everybody on this board loves GNR  that is why I have loved it from day 1 - whether it was the real  GNR -which is where I fall into  - I still came on here year after YEAR and loved reading the enthusiasm from everybody . There are the post Slash GNR fans and their  love of AXL and his version of a band , which after a million listens I finally GET IT , no so much for years but I understand as a lifer AXL is a little different which makes him great - 1 of the best singers and frontman of all time.

I would like to know how many members have been to the new shows or any other era shows -  I have been to the "NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR 2016-2017" in Nashville and Winston Salem , The band is tight as hell , SLASH is playing on par with the top players in the world always has - He  has carried the tour for almost 2 years with outro solos , intro solos and impromptu jams which is just like he did when this band started , AXL to me has been the closer , I love AXL ROSE from his bad ass attitude to his  once in a lifetime lyrics and stage presence , A lot of members on here have put him down for his vocals , I have been to 2 gigs and his voice is great , Louisville is gonna be my 3rd of this leg of the tour , IF you havent been to a gig how can u criticize AXL off a youtube or a periscope video  or SLASH  either , live they are better than any gig on this EARTH right now .  I just wish the members that haven't been to a show  stop being  so critical of the band especially AXL when u have no legs to stand on -LOL

DONT WORRY ABOUT AXL , HE STILL HAS IT , GO TO  A SHOW AND HE WILL SHOW YOU 

I had a whole response typed out but realized that it really comes down to this: It's the internet, people are going to have opinions.

To answer your question; I've seen this tour 3 times in person and I found a lot to be positive about as well as a lot to be negative about at each show. Doesn't make me or anyone else less of a fan for being critical.

• Like 3

I've been to two shows, both in 2016, and had a blast at both. Axl was already a bit worse than at the very beggining of the tour (it was november), but still better than he is now. Strong points and weak points were noticeable through the set, but the overall experience was worth it. Wouldn't go again today though, to get the same show with a diminished Axl, with o song or two changed here and there.

• Like 1

I went to Night 2 at Dodgers Stadium last year and I had a great time. It was great to see Axl, Slash and Duff reunited and I even got to see Steven Adler since he joined them that night. I wasnt even a year old when the UYI tour ended in 93 so it was a dream come true to see 3/5ths OG GNR. Ive been debating whether to go see them 2nd night at the Forum next month. Really the only reason Id go see them a 2nd time would be because I didnt take my younger Brother with me last time I went. But at the moment there are alot of weak points in the set vocally and Im not particularly interested in the covers that they play currently.

I them them in 2010, twice in 2011 (both with Duff opening and guesting), twice in 2012 (both with Izzy guesting), twice in 2014, three times in 2016 and twice in 2017. 2010 is still my favourite, Axl was simply on fire, and the setlist was surprising and CD-heavy (which was great for me). Vegas '16 night 1 is my second favourite, simply because of the experience (Coma was the best concert-moment I've experienced). Seattle '16 was better than Vegas, but Vegas has sentiment so it ranks 2nd. But the Seattle '16 show was easily my favourite since 2010.

That said, the shows I saw this year were just not as good as last year. Axl's voice has deteriorated significantly, and it is noticeable at the shows. People can come up with whatever excuses they want, but it's very obvious when Axl is in full on Mickey mode - it's just also easier not to care because you can focus on someone else. I wish he was as good as he was in 2012, and that's just sad.

• GNFNR 1

2006 Rock In Rio Lisboa - Seeing this wacko screaming the WTTJ intro right there, while holding a bottle of whatever it was, really did it for me. It was always Axl's voice that got me into GN'R in the first place and, as my first GN'R gig, I was way in too deep, to even care if this was NuGNR or not. Pure joy! 

2010 Lisboa - Great vocals, couldn't care less about the rest of the band.

2017 Lisboa|Prague|Paris - Axl+Slash. End of cycle. All those years of who said what, who sued who, are they still going to play together, Slash's a cancer, Axl's a tyrant, were gone for good and seemed like a distant memory from the past. You can't recreate the 80s or the 90s. You can only buy a glimpse of it, to feed your own personal illusions and that's what NITL is all about.

I'm positive that I'll see them again, however, I won't be expecting more than what we've already had.

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What made the 93 show better than the 91 show for you?

No backup singers and all that stuff.. No biker shorts lol.. It was the stripped down Skin N' Bones tour with the acoustic set and all that. The set list was  better. The band was tight as hell and Axl was on fire.. It was St Patrick's Day in Boston so the atmosphere and energy were off the charts. Haven't been to a show since with that much electricity and volume from the crowd. There was almost a RIOT.. The band left the stage for about 1/2 hour.. They played Reckless Life!! We even got a snippet of Cornshucker hahah.

• GNFNR 1

2 shows for me- SF 8/2016. Kickass crowd....sold out, everyone standing for the whole show. Axl sounded good. Was my first Guns show EVER! Amazing experience. 

2nd show in San Antonio 9/2017. Beautiful indoor stadium. Much, much closer seat this time!!! Great view of Axl who sounded great again but happier, more energetic. Heard like 5 more songs than in SF.  The band wanted to keep on playing and playing....we were even asked if we wanted a longer encore! Brilliant show that I won't forget!  :headbang:

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

No backup singers and all that stuff.. No biker shorts lol.. It was the stripped down Skin N' Bones tour with the acoustic set and all that. The set list was  better. The band was tight as hell and Axl was on fire.. It was St Patrick's Day in Boston so the atmosphere and energy were off the charts. Haven't been to a show since with that much electricity and volume from the crowd. There was almost a RIOT.. The band left the stage for about 1/2 hour.. They played Reckless Life!! We even got a snippet of Cornshucker hahah.

That's epic. I wish I could have gone to any of those shows back then. You can even relisten to that bootleg these days and relive that day

• Like 1