Serious question about members on this board "Gnr in concert"

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That's epic. I wish I could have gone to any of those shows back then. You can even relisten to that bootleg these days and relive that day

It has been quite awhile, but I have.. The recording out there aren't that great of quality and they edited out most of the wait for the band to come back on stage but it is still cool to revisit.. Earl was actually walking around through the Garden while waiting for the band to come back on and he walked right behind my row and I shook his hand.. He was probably surprised I even knew who he was lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

I have been to the "NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR 2016-2017" in Nashville and Winston Salem , The band is tight as hell , SLASH is playing on par with the top players in the world always has - He  has carried the tour for almost 2 years with outro solos , intro solos and impromptu jams which is just like he did when this band started , AXL to me has been the closer , I love AXL ROSE from his bad ass attitude to his  once in a lifetime lyrics and stage presence , A lot of members on here have put him down for his vocals , I have been to 2 gigs and his voice is great ,

To me what this shows is that Axl and GNR are so good that even when they are 'bad' they are still pretty good.

To my preferences and tastes Slash is the best guitarist in the world, Axl the best vocalist, and GNR songs the best songs.

However, to me it's undeniable that Axl has had vocal issues at recent shows, not just compared to his prime, but compared even to earlier in the tour.

Because GNR is awesome (hey that's why were here) it's a great night out at shows DESPITE the problems. But I can't fault people for noticing that there ARE problems. There just are. Doesn't mean it's not a good night out anyway though.

For the record...I have seen GNR in 1993, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2017.

I saw Guns N' Roses in 2006, 2010 and 2017.

2006 and 2010 were great shows, strong vocally, Axl was just brilliant.

2017 was going through the motions, doing enough to keep people entertained and that's it.

People obviously mistake loudness for quality. I can't believe someone could see them in 1991 and claim Axl sounds great in 2017. How can you not hear him slacking off every chance he gets?

The beginning of the tour was better, now it's all downhill. And he's just doing it night after night, just being content with it. 

He may sound great for a portion of a song, yes, but that's it. I didn't see him with AC/DC but he sounds killer on videos. I wish I had.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

I saw Guns N' Roses in 2006, 2010 and 2017.

2006 and 2010 were great shows, strong vocally, Axl was just brilliant.

2017 was going through the motions, doing enough to keep people entertained and that's it.

People obviously mistake loudness for quality. I can't believe someone could see them in 1991 and claim Axl sounds great in 2017. How can you not hear him slacking off every chance he gets?

The beginning of the tour was better, now it's all downhill. And he's just doing it night after night, just being content with it. 

He may sound great for a portion of a song, yes, but that's it. I didn't see him with AC/DC but he sounds killer on videos. I wish I had.

This....and I'm co-signing this as someone who saw them in 1991 and 2016 and 2017

I am very happy that i was able to see the band twice last year in pittsburgh and this year on my birthday in hershey they sounded great both shows. Does Axl sound like he did in the 90s no, but he wasnt horrible. he has such a unique voice and he is in his mid fiftys, do any of you think robert plant sounds like he did back in the 70s with Zep hell no.

On 10/10/2017 at 2:25 PM, TMAC20 said:

I know that everybody on this board loves GNR  that is why I have loved it from day 1 - whether it was the real  GNR -which is where I fall into  - I still came on here year after YEAR and loved reading the enthusiasm from everybody . There are the post Slash GNR fans and their  love of AXL and his version of a band , which after a million listens I finally GET IT , no so much for years but I understand as a lifer AXL is a little different which makes him great - 1 of the best singers and frontman of all time.

I would like to know how many members have been to the new shows or any other era shows -  I have been to the "NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR 2016-2017" in Nashville and Winston Salem , The band is tight as hell , SLASH is playing on par with the top players in the world always has - He  has carried the tour for almost 2 years with outro solos , intro solos and impromptu jams which is just like he did when this band started , AXL to me has been the closer , I love AXL ROSE from his bad ass attitude to his  once in a lifetime lyrics and stage presence , A lot of members on here have put him down for his vocals , I have been to 2 gigs and his voice is great , Louisville is gonna be my 3rd of this leg of the tour , IF you havent been to a gig how can u criticize AXL off a youtube or a periscope video  or SLASH  either , live they are better than any gig on this EARTH right now .  I just wish the members that haven't been to a show  stop being  so critical of the band especially AXL when u have no legs to stand on -LOL

DONT WORRY ABOUT AXL , HE STILL HAS IT , GO TO  A SHOW AND HE WILL SHOW YOU 

Seen the nitl show twice, one was an enjoyable show because of the people around me, but Axl was way off the mark, the other was a good show but a mile away from the best performances I'd seen from Axl in video or at concerts I attended from 2006-2012. 

How can you critique from watching a video is one of the most popular arguments on here. The phones may not pick up direct feeds from the desk, but they pick up the general house mix and if Axl sounds good or bad it's very clear.

Yes, if you're at the show, sometimes it can be less noticeable with thousands singing along, but it's still there.

As for Slash carrying the tour. He's definitely selling tickets and it's great to see him, but this is not the same player that left all those years ago... He was a great player, now he's a good player who sometimes had great moments... That's not the way you're supposed to develop as a musician. I could hear Slash clearly bending notes out of tune and generally not playing at the level we all remember from him.

Overall it's a gig that's worth seeing, but it's overly bloated in many ways... Could have been great if they cut the fat and have a blistering concise 2hr set, solos, jams and some poor sing choices as well as some performance issues bring the batting average of this tour down. But, one thing is that at least it's live and they only use a handful of payback samples... Compared to other major acts.

First show was a 6/10 (Slane) 2nd show was a 7 maybe 7.5/10 (Madrid) for all the reasons above.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Seen the nitl show twice, one was an enjoyable show because of the people around me, but Axl was way off the mark, the other was a good show but a mile away from the best performances I'd seen from Axl in video or at concerts I attended from 2006-2012. 

How can you critique from watching a video is one of the most popular arguments on here. The phones may not pick up direct feeds from the desk, but they pick up the general house mix and if Axl sounds good or bad it's very clear.

Yes, if you're at the show, sometimes it can be less noticeable with thousands singing along, but it's still there.

As for Slash carrying the tour. He's definitely selling tickets and it's great to see him, but this is not the same player that left all those years ago... He was a great player, now he's a good player who sometimes had great moments... That's not the way you're supposed to develop as a musician. I could hear Slash clearly bending notes out of tune and generally not playing at the level we all remember from him.

Overall it's a gig that's worth seeing, but it's overly bloated in many ways... Could have been great if they cut the fat and have a blistering concise 2hr set, solos, jams and some poor sing choices as well as some performance issues bring the batting average of this tour down. But, one thing is that at least it's live and they only use a handful of payback samples... Compared to other major acts.

First show was a 6/10 (Slane) 2nd show was a 7 maybe 7.5/10 (Madrid) for all the reasons above.

I am going to the LOUISVILLE gig in a few weeks , Ill give a full honest review of the show . The 2 gigs of this tour I have seen have been amazing , SLASH and his million solos is the reason I started loving this band in 1987 along with AXL being the bad ass he always was with his lyrics , IN 1991 when I first seen "the worlds most dangerous band" Slash played a million solos in concert  and I was in AWE of his playing and no he isnt a good player , he is a virtuoso now,  he is a great player always getting better every year when most players dont , AXL isnt AXL 1991 that is obvious but he still has it , he still brings it , no one can match his 1987-1993 voice not even himself - but he is damn good and more than above average - first show 1991 Lexington10/10, second  show Knoxville 10/10 ,third show 1992  Indianapolis 10/10 ,fouth show Nashville  25 years later ,9/10 fifth show Winston Salem 9/10 - 

Listen to the outro solo on SCOM at every gig - that is amazing and virtuoso playing so yea he SLASH is better , I can name every solo for being great just give u a small sample . For anyone that posts on a board and say SLASH has  lost his playing and bends a out of tune note and is just a good player , lmao at you , how millions of people have u played in front of and do u play guitar? because I play guitar  almost every day , I just seen ZAKK WYLDE last weekend and he wore it out for 3 hours with ZAKK SABBATH with long solos that is what the greats do , they play long solo jams , see a pattern? 

Edited by TMAC20
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

I am going to the LOUISVILLE gig in a few weeks , Ill give a full honest review of the show . The 2 gigs of this tour I have seen have been amazing , SLASH and his million solos is the reason I started loving this band in 1987 along with AXL being the bad ass he always was with his lyrics , IN 1991 when I first seen "the worlds most dangerous band" Slash played a million solos in concert  and I was in AWE of his playing and no he isnt a good player , he is a virtuoso now,  he is a great player always getting better every year when most players dont , AXL isnt AXL 1991 that is obvious but he still has it , he still brings it , no one can match his 1987-1993 voice not even himself - but he is damn good and more than above average - first show 1991 Lexington10/10, second  show Knoxville 10/10 ,third show 1992  Indianapolis 10/10 ,fouth show Nashville  25 years later ,9/10 fifth show Winston Salem 9/10 - 

Listen to the outro solo on SCOM at every gig - that is amazing and virtuoso playing so yea he SLASH is better , I can name every solo for being great just give u a small sample . For anyone that posts on a board and say SLASH has  lost his playing and bends a out of tune note and is just a good player , lmao at you , how millions of people have u played in front of and do u play guitar? because I play guitar  almost every day , I just seen ZAKK WYLDE last weekend and he wore it out for 3 hours with ZAKK SABBATH with long solos that is what the greats do , they play long solo jams , see a pattern? 

Hey, I guess some people like overly long solos with bends that are sometimes out of tune. More power to you.

Look, I've got a pretty good ear for pitch and I can 100% tell you that on a number of solos in the sets that I saw in person as well as the sets I've watched online, Slash is off.

"How anyone can say Slash isn't great" blah, blah! How can you be a critical music fan if you can't even be honest with yourself? I love Slash and Axl, but both guys have lost a step. I love Metallica but guess what, they aren't as tight as they used to be... It's called age, lack of practice and millions and millions of dollars in the bank. I have no problem saying that one of my heroes playing or singing isn't as good as it used to be, and I see no reason why you or anyone else wouldn't be able to do the same. 

I don't say "he's a limited player" or anything like that, I like what he does, and that's a very specific rock style... However a lot of players I know have argued that he is overrated and limited, I simply say that his technique has degraded somewhat in recent years, but he is still one of the best rock players alive, and the reason I picked up a guitar.

Since you asked, I back all this up with years and years of playing music (everyday, I give lessons if you're looking😉), studying music and listening to lots of Gnr (and countless other bands) music both live and in the studio... So I'd say that most people would agree that I'm a fairly reliable and fair critic. 

Finally, you don't have to play an instrument to say if someone sounds good or not. You also don't have to have sold millions of records or played to stadiums to have an opinion, you should know that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

Zakk needs to really stop playing the pinch harmonics. Hes done them to death since 88.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 11:54 PM, Tom2112 said:

Im terms of slash branching out hes already done the blues ball played on ray charles album. Some rock guitarists just stick to what they know (example angus young) and im certainly not expecting slash to release a jazz guitarist album anytime soon. I think slash is playing the CD songs to keep axl happy until the tour finishes. What slash does next and the musical quality is the 64,000. 00 question.

On 10/12/2017 at 5:23 AM, axlweave said:

I am very happy that i was able to see the band twice last year in pittsburgh and this year on my birthday in hershey they sounded great both shows. Does Axl sound like he did in the 90s no, but he wasnt horrible. he has such a unique voice and he is in his mid fiftys, do any of you think robert plant sounds like he did back in the 70s with Zep hell no.

I have followed or watched clips of every show over the past 1 1/2 years , as many here have and IMO the Pittsburgh show Is In the top 2 shows of this tour.

Helsinki 2006

Helsinki 2010

Malaysia 2013

Lissabon 2017

Hämeenlinna 2017

Maybe 2013 was the weakest. Still remember 2006 when Axl came on stage. Axl was on fire and the first time is always the first. 2010 so much power in his voice and the band sounded also quite good. 2017 huge shows. Every thing just so much bigger. Last gig in Hämeenlinna I watched much more Duff and Slash. Realized how much talent they got. Axl had also great feeling, but in the end his voice was getting thinner. Perhaps too long shows. Paradise city sounded a bit mickey.. Only thing I regret is that I didnt go to Denmark to see  Axl/DC. Really like those videos. Maybe I got to see them in future.