Slim Shady vs Donald Trump

Len Cnut

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

And the thing is Em was highly controversial back then. I can only imagine the world would implode if he came out today.

Yeah exactly, the world's changed alot in 20 years. I think he'd still have a degree of success he's far too talented not to, but imagine a major label having the choice of signing Eminem and say Mackelmore next week?...i think we all know who's getting signed.

Edited by Silverburst80

7 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yeah exactly, the world's changed alot in 20 years. I think he'd still have a degree of success he's far too talented not to, but imagine a major label having the choice of signing Eminem and say Mackelmore next week?...i think we all know who's getting signed.

Em' would be out there regardless.  This guy more or less won the Rap Olympics, this guy released an underground EP in America and I heard about it here in fuckin' England in 1998, this guy was in the Unsigned Hype column of The Source, all this notice with zero backing, Eminem was sick as fuck, the only thing holding Eminem back was the idea that his content might make him kind of unpalletable to the hip hop community...but he would've made noise one way or the other, it just so happens there are people out there like Dr Dre that when they hear about you they throw their weight behind you but make no mistake, he'd be out there, you think if people like Rick Ross or Kanye had an Em' fall into their lap they wouldn't throw their weight behind them?  Thats the good thing about these rap labels, they're corporate backed sure but the front running is done by Aftermath or Maybach, so the streets get heard still, they're not signed by major labels with nous to find these guys, the finding is done for them.

Edited by Len Cnut

12 hours ago, Ace Spade said:

You're no longer counter culture. You're on the side of the establishment now Em.

The thing that bothers me was the end where he's talking about drawing a line in the sand with his fans. This whole snobby judging attitude of, eff you if you don't agree with us you're evil and wrong! That attitude has gotten past ridiculous and personal, I hate he fell into that. This is mister do what you wanna do be what you wanna be go against what anybody tells you, now he's saying think like him or we can't be friends. I don't even like Trump and I hate that attitude.

For the actual rap, he's got some decent rhymes. But the punchlines don't really punch like they should. And I've never been a fan of the whole rattle shout flow from hip hop these days. Just doesn't flow good at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J Dog said:

The thing that bothers me was the end where he's talking about drawing a line in the sand with his fans. This whole snobby judging attitude of, eff you if you don't agree with us you're evil and wrong! That attitude has gotten past ridiculous and personal, I hate he fell into that. This is mister do what you wanna do be what you wanna be go against what anybody tells you, now he's saying think like him or we can't be friends. I don't even like Trump and I hate that attitude.

Do you not think that one possible way of looking at it thats its the bravest thing to do and the more politically correct thing would be to be wishy washy and ‘oh well thats you and this is me and lets all get along’, I mean when you get onto matters like the shit that people are saying about Trump does it not, at least for some if not all, actually become a case of that?  I mean is it not literally a case of that eventually when you talk about things where its like, OK, I cant get behind that/get with people who are like that.  And a lot of people feel that way about Trump and his politics, that he enters the category of you over there and me over here, in the same way that extremists do.

To be clear I’m not saying thats necessarily how I think but its not something that i think is completely not understandable.  I thought that part of the song was the bravest, he’s kinda forgoing revenue there, putting his popularity or whatever on the line.  Do what you wanna do and be what you wannabe is not negated by disagreeing or even seperating yourself from ‘x’ party.

Brave and forgoing revenue, so next year instead of making 10 million off royalty checks he'll only make 5 million, poor guy :lol: For real though, instead of brave I'd say it's real easy for him to sit on his 9 figure bank account and tell fans fuck you. Same fans that took him out the trailer park and made him a filthy rich superstar. Over a jack-ass politician.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

Brave and forgoing revenue, so next year instead of making 10 million off royalty checks he'll only make 5 million, poor guy :lol: For real though, instead of brave I'd say it's real easy for him to sit on his 9 figure bank account and tell fans fuck you. Same fans that took him out the trailer park and made him a filthy rich superstar. Over a jack-ass politician.

See you say that only 5 instead of 10 million stuff but would many others do the same?  Thats why millionaires are millionaires, cuz they dont miss a trick, dont drop a penny.  Dont mean to say cuz someones rich then millions dont mean nothing to em, quite the opposite.

I say good on him.  If he feels that way about it, and I can see why someone would about Trump, then good on him.  

Its also weird that its being touted as some kind of sellout thing, like hes become part of some mainstream when before he wasn’t (a dubious proposition to begin with), hes attacking the fuckin president, i mean you cant get more mainstream, more establishment than the president.  Its weird how all these Trump backers think like they’re some kinda alternative voice to something.

John Lennon or Jello Biafra or John Lydon or Sinead O Connor goes for an establishment figurehead and its radical, Eminem does it and he’s a sellout, fuck that.

Edited by Len Cnut

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

John Lennon or Jello Biafra or John Lydon or Sinead O Connor goes for an establishment figurehead and its radical, Eminem does it and he’s a sellout, fuck that.

TO be fair, Sinead O'Connor would fight a lamp post if she thought it was looking at her funny. :lol:

• Haha 1

On October 12, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Len Cnut said:

Looks like I’m alone on this one :lol:

I loved it!  I loved, loved, loved it.. A quick one off in the competitive rap style. No accompanying sounds, even from the background guys who were loudly quiet in support of what was being said. And I am so glad he had a focus on the gaslighting crap when he said Trump brings your attention to NFL nonsense over here while the country falls apart over there.. I don't understand why this isn't discussed more.

Perfect prose? No, but timely and with integrity.

Loved it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

See you say that only 5 instead of 10 million stuff but would many others do the same?  Thats why millionaires are millionaires, cuz they dont miss a trick, dont drop a penny.  Dont mean to say cuz someones rich then millions dont mean nothing to em, quite the opposite.

I say good on him.  If he feels that way about it, and I can see why someone would about Trump, then good on him.  

Its also weird that its being touted as some kind of sellout thing, like hes become part of some mainstream when before he wasn’t (a dubious proposition to begin with), hes attacking the fuckin president, i mean you cant get more mainstream, more establishment than the president.  Its weird how all these Trump backers think like they’re some kinda alternative voice to something.

I didn't say his money don't mean anything to him, I'm saying it would be hard for me to shed tears over such a humble act of sacrifice.

Idk, maybe we're reading each other wrong. I never said I had a problem with him talking trash about Trump or hating Trump or called him a sellout. None of that is really an issue with me.

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

You don't seem to get that Trump is not the establishment figurehead. The entire establishment HATES Trump to the point of insanity.  The establishment that is the Democratic and Republication party, the media, and Hollywood intend to destroy him and his support base. Just for the record, I'm not convinced that he's going to come through for his supporters in the end either.

I get your point that Em was never exactly Public Enemy, but he was kind of going against the grain when he made fun of gays and talked about having sex with the Pop tarts back in the day. He was even protested against by the same people that came after Axl Rose.

Now he's just clearly on "their" side. Especially with his "line in the sand" remark. On the other hand, his buddy Kid Rock is an outspoken Trump guy, even going to the White House! He's had groups attempt to stop his shows in Detroit despite all the things he's done for his city.

Maybe Eminem and Kid Rock should settle this once and for all with an epic battle of the rhymes!

Edited by Ace Spade

Let's just be honest.....Anything he's done since his drug induced recluse departure for years has just been mediocre, compared to what he did on his first 3 albums. His Encore album was alright, but a step down from The Eminem Show.......the Recovery Album in 2010 I feel was his best release overall once he returned from his hiatus....but let's be honest, The Marshall Mathers LP-2 and Shady XV albums he released most recently were both total letdowns, with lack of flow/direction.

On 16/10/2017 at 2:44 AM, Ace Spade said:

You don't seem to get that Trump is not the establishment figurehead. The entire establishment HATES Trump to the point of insanity.  The establishment that is the Democratic and Republication party, the media, and Hollywood intend to destroy him and his support base. Just for the record, I'm not convinced that he's going to come through for his supporters in the end either.

I get your point that Em was never exactly Public Enemy, but he was kind of going against the grain when he made fun of gays and talked about having sex with the Pop tarts back in the day. He was even protested against by the same people that came after Axl Rose.

My point is that Trump/republicans/democrats...these are all establishment figures.  In the same way bajillion selling artists like Eminem signed to major record labels from day one are also establishment figures.  Being homophobic isn't anti-establishment (not saying Em' was homophobic).  Its been the granted standard since forever.  It's only very very recently that legislature etc is being put in place against that shit.  And most people still don't care. 

17 hours ago, papashaun said:

His Encore album was alright, but a step down from The Eminem Show

A step down is being nice, it was more like a fall off a cliff.

"Yellow Brick Road" "Like Toy Soldiers" "Mocking Bird" were the only good songs and none of those would crack his top 10.