NITL Tour and Tributes

Throughout the tour, we’ve unfortunately seen successful and brilliant musicians pass: a moment of silence please for Prince, David Bowie, Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington, and Tom Petty. 

What I’ve noticed on this forum and in general based on YouTube comments and posts over here are that people want them to honor these late musicians by adding a new cover to the set or acknowledge them in some way. The only time the band followed through on a cover was Black Hole Sun which ultimately became a setlist regular.

What I’m asking everyone is do you think Guns needs to honor each musician who passes with a cover? Should they acknowledge them in some form publicly- is that something Guns needs or should do for each musician? It’s been an uprising thing where every time we lose another singer everyone thinks Guns need to honor them in this way. 

With Cornell I think they honored him by doing Black Hole Sun because they were so much closer to him than other musicians- same time period and all.

Guns did say they wanted to honor Prince back at the early start of the tour, but didn’t have time to learn a new cover so they dedicated Nightrain to him that night instead. Does time play a factor? Cornell passed about a month before the tour giving them plenty of time to learn a proper cover.

Discuss :) 

6 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Throughout the tour, we’ve unfortunately seen successful and brilliant musicians pass: a moment of silence please for Prince, David Bowie, Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington, and Tom Petty. 

What I’ve noticed on this forum and in general based on YouTube comments and posts over here are that people want them to honor these late musicians by adding a new cover to the set or acknowledge them in some way. The only time the band followed through on a cover was Black Hole Sun which ultimately became a setlist regular.

What I’m asking everyone is do you think Guns needs to honor each musician who passes with a cover? Should they acknowledge them in some form publicly- is that something Guns needs or should do for each musician? It’s been an uprising thing where every time we lose another singer everyone thinks Guns need to honor them in this way. 

With Cornell I think they honored him by doing Black Hole Sun because they were so much closer to him than other musicians- same time period and all.

Guns did say they wanted to honor Prince back at the early start of the tour, but didn’t have time to learn a new cover so they dedicated Nightrain to him that night instead. Does time play a factor? Cornell passed about a month before the tour giving them plenty of time to learn a proper cover.

Discuss :) 

Wichita Lineman is a tribute as well. And Slash honored Chuck Berry and Greg Allman.

Yeah, I think time is a factor, at least as far as Prince and Tom Petty go, and maybe Leonard Cohen. It may also depend on whether they're all fans of the artist.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Didn't Axl say before BHS at Coachella that they planned to sing it but are now singing it under sad circumstances? If anyone has that bootleg please let me know that i didn't imagine it.

It was at Slane Castle (Chris Cornell passed away a few days before the European leg started). I think Axl said something like "We'll try something now - I wish it didn't have to be under these sad circumstances".

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

It was at Slane Castle (Chris Cornell passed away a few days before the European leg started). I think Axl said something like "We'll try something now - I wish it didn't have to be under these sad circumstances".

ahh i kinda got some bits right:lol: It still sounds like it was planned before Chris died though 

• Like 1