Axl Interview, Detroit Radio, 2002

33 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

That was fun, Axl was in a good mood and proper chatty, thanks @RussTCB

Right on. Yeah, I remember when the interview happened but I'm always reminded of it every few years. 

Great show later that night til Axl threw his mic during Patience and walked out lol

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Right on. Yeah, I remember when the interview happened but I'm always reminded of it every few years. 

Great show later that night til Axl threw his mic during Patience and walked out lol

I have watched a few nuGuns shows recently, was that the show where he forgets words and sings the same lines twice on Patience? What was that about?

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I have watched a few nuGuns shows recently, was that the show where he forgets words and sings the same lines twice on Patience? What was that about?

In short, no one really knows what it was about lol. The whole show appears on YouTube every so often, so keep an eye out and watch it when you can. 

It's notable because they did Riad which is super rare. Then of course for the Patience debacle. 

I was there and I still have no real clue what to happened. It just seemed like a really off version. Then Axl threw his mic right before Robin's solo and left the stage. He came back, sang the outro, said good night, threw his mic again and walked off. 

Very strange end to a pretty great show overall. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

In short, no one really knows what it was about lol. The whole show appears on YouTube every so often, so keep an eye out and watch it when you can. 

It's notable because they did Riad which is super rare. Then of course for the Patience debacle. 

I was there and I still have no real clue what to happened. It just seemed like a really off version. Then Axl threw his mic right before Robin's solo and left the stage. He came back, sang the outro, said good night, threw his mic again and walked off. 

Very strange end to a pretty great show overall. 

Always wondered about this show. Wasn't the rumor that Axl was having issues with the sound guys and in frustration he ended on Patience w/ no encore?

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Always wondered about this show. Wasn't the rumor that Axl was having issues with the sound guys and in frustration he ended on Patience w/ no encore?

That's the top rumor yeah, but honestly no one has ever had an actual answer. The vibe in the room was even weird during the song. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I wish I was old enough for this, I would have loved to see the 2002 lineup in person

You would have been one of the few at the time since most arenas were only 1/4th full. Nobody gave a fuck about this new band, and they got tore to shreds by the press. It was not a pretty period for Axl.

That being said, I would have preferred this version of Axl(absent the braids) than the one we have now. Would have made for a better reunion. I think Rock in  Rio 3(2001) Axl with his 2010 voice would have been superb next to Slash. 

Just now, SWINGTRADER said:

You would have been one of the few at the time since most arenas were only 1/4th full. Nobody gave a fuck about this new band, and they got tore to shreds by the press. It was not a pretty period for Axl.

That being said, I would have preferred this version of Axl(absent the braids) than the one we have now. Would have made for a better reunion. I think Rock in  Rio 3(2001) Axl with his 2010 voice would have been superb next to Slash. 

Doesn't matter, that lineup was mainly responsible for Chinese Democracy and it would have been cool. The 2011 show I saw had a closed upper deck, too. Still a good show

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Haha "arenas 1/4 full"... Not even close to the truth, but then again I'm only saying that because I was actually there in person. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Haha "arenas 1/4 full"... Not even close to the truth, but then again I'm only saying that because I was actually there in person. 

You must have been at MSG or Boston. The attendances were atrocious everywhere else and that is why the plug was pulled. The only reason the tour lasted as long as it did was because promotion was trying to hang on till they made it to the MSG show( since it was sold out). The philly riots were the final nail in that coffin.

I had bought tickets for the San Diego show, but the tour never made that far and I got refunded by Ticketmaster.

Edited by SWINGTRADER

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Doesn't matter, that lineup was mainly responsible for Chinese Democracy and it would have been cool. The 2011 show I saw had a closed upper deck, too. Still a good show

That is what was so unfortunate. They were responsible for that mess. It doesn't matter since I did not consider that band to be GNR

This is how I see it:

Great GNR= 1987-1990

Good GNR=1991-1993

Shitty GNR= 2016-2017

• Haha 1

I heard the 2002 arena tour sold pretty badly -- 1/2 filled arenas was the word used when you read up about it. The rumor is that Axl was shocked by the lack of interest in the band. In his mind, he was still Axl from 1993 and assumed there would be much fanfare for his return. What's interesting is that his 2001 warm up shows were very well received by the press, particularly the HOB show. I guess the MTV VMA's must have turned the tide against the band. Better fan service might have helped here potentially.

13 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Axl said somewhere that after the MSG show, the band was as good as it could get and it was time for them to cut their losses. 

The promoters had already decided early on that the plug would be pulled after MSG.  Axl had no say on that matter.

I do remember that soon after the MSG show, the press reported that Axl was devastated by Howard Stern's reaction towards the show. The word is that Axl couldn't wait to hear what Howard had to say about the show, as he was expecting positive comments from Howard, what he got instead was Howard bashing the hell out of the show. Particularly on how ridiculous Axl and his band looked.

Edited by SWINGTRADER

15 minutes ago, Guigsdaddy said:

I’m a huge Howard fan and have never heard of this...not to say it’s not true. Maybe it makes sense because Axl has never been in the studio to be interviewed by Howard.  Maybe he will show up in studio tomorrow.

It is true. I heard the show the following day after the concert. To be honest, I also expected Howard to say something nice, but that wasn't the case.

Howard saw Axl as a big douche at that point, and he always blamed Axl for the GNR break up.  He never hesitated to bash Axl whenever Slash visited the studio. Slash to his credit, never took the bait.

Edited by SWINGTRADER