Axl Interview, Detroit Radio, 2002

I have to be honest, I'm really fascinated by this era of the band. Lots of mystery and intrigue - rumors of Axl's mental breakdown and his trademark unpredictableness make it perhaps the last "vintage" Axl era imho. I know people love Axl's 2006 performances, but I think 2002 was the last time Axl had that edge and air of danger as he had in the 90's. The lineup was also much more interesting - like some kind of bizarre avant garde rock band. In '06, it just becomes another generic hard rock band - whatever made them unique and different visually is totally gone by then. Maybe the best way to say it is, '02 feels like a rough draft - you have no idea how it's going to turn out, but things look really intriguing - by '06, it's very streamlined and professional...but predictable.

The 1997-2000 pre-Buckethead era was also really fascinating.

• Like 1

I attended the Pittsburgh show and there couldn't have been more than 8-9,000 people there. There Is no mystery IMO  as to why the tour was a failure. You have a guy on stage calling himself Axl Rose who was absolutely unrecognizable, along with a guy wearing  a bucket on his head and a mask on his face along with Robin Finck  and you have the balls to call that band Guns N Roses? It was an Insult to the fans, who at one time made them the biggest band on the planet. 

It was a disgrace and It Imploded. The fans have made It crystal clear that there Is no such thing as Guns N Roses without Axl, Slash and Duff. 

18 hours ago, ironmt said:

I attended the Pittsburgh show and there couldn't have been more than 8-9,000 people there. There Is no mystery IMO  as to why the tour was a failure. You have a guy on stage calling himself Axl Rose who was absolutely unrecognizable, along with a guy wearing  a bucket on his head and a mask on his face along with Robin Finck  and you have the balls to call that band Guns N Roses? It was an Insult to the fans, who at one time made them the biggest band on the planet. 

It was a disgrace and It Imploded. The fans have made It crystal clear that there Is no such thing as Guns N Roses without Axl, Slash and Duff. 

Exactly.

I find it silly that some people here, who experienced that debacle of a tour, are now trying to rewrite history in order to fool the young fans into thinking it was a great period. 

The tour was a disgrace. The Philly riots gave promotion the green light to end it. Had the Philly show gone on without a riot, the tour would have probably gone on for 2 more shows at best. It was going to end, the ticket sales were atrocious. They were the laughing stock in music at the time. And the media,as well as rock fans, let them know it. I remember after the cancellation of tour, the band had been declared dead. I remember the MTV report. 

The VMA performance killed any chance of good ticket sales for the 2002 tour.

The same way MySpace killed any chance for Chinese Democracy to have decent initial sales.

1 hour ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Exactly.

I find it silly that some people here, who experienced that debacle of a tour, are now trying to rewrite history in order to fool the young fans into thinking it was a great period. 

The tour was a disgrace. The Philly riots gave promotion the green light to end it. Had the Philly show gone on without a riot, the tour would have probably gone on for 2 more shows at best. It was going to end, the ticket sales were atrocious. They were the laughing stock in music at the time. And the media,as well as rock fans, let them know it. I remember after the cancellation of tour, the band had been declared dead. I remember the MTV report. 

The VMA performance killed any chance of good ticket sales for the 2002 tour.

The same way MySpace killed any chance for Chinese Democracy to have decent initial sales.

I agree 100%.

20 minutes ago, Carne_asaDA said:

"To the ones who are negative and want to see either myself or the new band fall on their faces, personally I can't pass up an opportunity to upset so many of them in one quick swoop. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside!"  

:lol::lol:

He sure showed them. :lol:

Welcome back?;)