Rock in Rio 2001 (Video)/Question.....

papashaun

Found the whole show on youtube, all comments/description is in Portuguese.....anyone shed some light on why Axl got so angry with a fan around the 10:15 mark, during "It's So Easy?" In noticed just before that, you can see him flip someone the bird, then point.....you notice Axl says something like, "Get that guy outta here, you hear me Mr. Security guy? Yeah, that guy right there." then "Give me that shirt!!" You also see Axl throw the shirt away.....Just wondering if the guy did something obscene at Axl, or was he wearing an un-licensed GnR shirt? (Joke)....Anyone know what went on??? Just figured the poor security guy may not have known what he was saying, since he more than likely spoke Portuguese.

• 3 years later...

I watched this gig today and I actually found I enjoyed it pretty much overall than I expected. I have seen clips before but never seen it all in one sitting. To be fair, I was more just listening whilst doing life admin, but that's okay! The band really clicked on certain songs (e.g. KOHD, Chinese Democracy). But that bit in It's So Easy is totally fucking cringeworthy! What happened to Oh My God during this gig?! It seemed all over the fecking shop! 

@19AT5

Axl came in late bc weird the keyboard noise came in a measure too late, which is the cue for the guitarists to come in, so the guitarists (both Bucket and Paul) came in a measure late as well, which caused Axl to come in halfway on the 1st measure of the verse out of breath (to bd fair he didnt sound that much better on the HOB 2001 by alot, and everyone came in at the right time on that version)

to OP, yeah it has been blamed on a Slash shirt, maybe the guy was waving it around mockingly? idk, Ive never seen any concrete proof that it was a Slash shirt. Could have been a shirt that says "I love you Bon Jovi" for all we know

Edited by Mendez

9 minutes ago, Mendez said:

@19AT5

Axl came in late bc weird the keyboard noise came in a measure too late, which is the cue for the guitarists to come in, so the guitarists (both Bucket and Paul) came in a measure late as well, which caused Axl to come in halfway on the 1st measure of the verse out of breath (to bd fair he didnt sound that much better on the HOB 2001 by alot, and everyone came in at the right time on that version)

Cheers, this makes sense! Did something go wrong at the end too? Coz he keps singing for 2 measures post the band stopping.

Just now, 19AT5 said:

Cheers, this makes sense! Did something go wrong at the end too? Coz he keps singing for 2 measures post the band stopping.

he just sang an extra line from the previous verse(?) when that last part doesnt even contain the extra line. Just messed up the lyrics

6 hours ago, lame ass security said:

It's been years since I've watched it but I remember that Axl nailed SOD. 

Nailed? With that 2001 falsetto all over it, and the "ok, nevermind" bit, I don't know, man. Many 2002 versions were better IMO. 
Many screw-ups there too, iirc. ISE, Patience (but you have to give him that he was running at the end)... 

17 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Nailed? With that 2001 falsetto all over it, and the "ok, nevermind" bit, I don't know, man. Many 2002 versions were better IMO. 
Many screw-ups there too, iirc. ISE, Patience (but you have to give him that he was running at the end)... 

Well, like I said, it's been many years and i was probably drunk.😄

• Like 1

Have you guys noticed that during the Freddie Mercury Tribute, at the beginning of Paradise City there's a guy holding a "AXL, PISS OFF!" sign, right at the 00:37 mark and Axl screams "SHOVE IT" pointing rigth at the guy at the 00:48 mark? Look at Slash's reaction at the 00:50 mark, like "WTF! Not here, not now!"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jamillos said:

Despite the fuck up with Patience, I love this version. I thought the drums coming in at the third verse brought a lot more out of the song. I’ve always loved Finck’s take on the solo too.

I’m a big fan of Axl’s voice at the House of Blues show and obviously with emotions running high, Rio is a bit all over the place, in a good way, but always loved that particular performance of The Blues. To me, that is Axl Rose in full swing, showing control and power with his instrument that seemed to go AWOL with time. If I’m being completely honest, that song hasn’t sounded great to me, live, since 2002. The rasp from 2006, 09/10 just didn’t do it justice, not that it was bad, but wasn’t on the level of 2001.

3 hours ago, Legendador said:

Have you guys noticed that during the Freddie Mercury Tribute, at the beginning of Paradise City there's a guy holding a "AXL, PISS OFF!" sign, right at the 00:37 mark and Axl screams "SHOVE IT" pointing rigth at the guy at the 00:48 mark? Look at Slash's reaction at the 00:50 mark, like "WTF! Not here, not now!"

I didn't know why Axl was saying "shove it" but I thought it was pretty awesome.😄 In fact, I adopted that phrase. 

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Despite the fuck up with Patience, I love this version. I thought the drums coming in at the third verse brought a lot more out of the song. I’ve always loved Finck’s take on the solo too.

I’m a big fan of Axl’s voice at the House of Blues show and obviously with emotions running high, Rio is a bit all over the place, in a good way, but always loved that particular performance of The Blues. To me, that is Axl Rose in full swing, showing control and power with his instrument that seemed to go AWOL with time. If I’m being completely honest, that song hasn’t sounded great to me, live, since 2002. The rasp from 2006, 09/10 just didn’t do it justice, not that it was bad, but wasn’t on the level of 2001.

House of Blues was stronger, especially the first part of the show, vocal-wise. On the other hand, I myself prefer the raspier stuff (even some 02 gigs were quite good, but got nothing on 06 or 2010). I like Rio as a whole, because it definitely caught them in a unique situation (a comeback in front of such an insane crowd, new songs and Axl having a lot to prove etc.), and the atmosphere was awesome. But Axl was weaker there, and the band still hadn't quite been there yet. Still, a gem. 

Edited by jamillos
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I didn't know why Axl was saying "shove it" but I thought it was pretty awesome.😄 In fact, I adopted that phrase. 

As a Brazilian and by not having English as my first language this never came to my attention before. But then I just saw the sign and it all made sense!

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 3:55 PM, papashaun said:

Found the whole show on youtube, all comments/description is in Portuguese.....anyone shed some light on why Axl got so angry with a fan around the 10:15 mark, during "It's So Easy?" In noticed just before that, you can see him flip someone the bird, then point.....you notice Axl says something like, "Get that guy outta here, you hear me Mr. Security guy? Yeah, that guy right there." then "Give me that shirt!!" You also see Axl throw the shirt away.....Just wondering if the guy did something obscene at Axl, or was he wearing an un-licensed GnR shirt? (Joke)....Anyone know what went on??? Just figured the poor security guy may not have known what he was saying, since he more than likely spoke Portuguese.

It happened to me also in Holland 2006 I showed him a slash t-shirt (I still have it today) and Axl told me during patience solo you're a fuckin idiot! 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, foreverguns said:

It happened to me also in Holland 2006 I showed him a slash t-shirt (I still have it today) and Axl told me during patience solo you're a fuckin idiot! 

Ha! You have that memory forever man, that's what it's all about!!

• Like 1