Another US Gun Massacre - 27 Dead in Texas Church

Dazey

9 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Did radical Islam strike once again? Or is this another case of someone on prescribed meds ?

Not sure if he was a terrorist or just a nutjob. They haven't said if he was white or not yet. 

Edited by Dazey

Thoughts and prayers with the victims and community.

Speculation isn't ideal of course. However, the fifth of November stands out as being the Guy Fawkes Day popularized in NA by the film V For Vendetta.  The film was a loose reference to the historical plot targeting a Protestant controlled English House of Parliament by a Catholic group.  The Guy Fawkes mask is inexplicably linked to Occupy and Anonymous and the whole deal is just widely misunderstood here.

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Wonder if Trump will call for "Extreme Vetting" on white immigrants.

Pick a side really... dems want gun control (whatever that means) reps want immigration reform.  Neither side wants both.  BTW it appears an armed citizen may have stopped this from being even worse than it was.

That is not an argument either way from myself I just think its interesting that a gun can stop a gunman.  If this happened at a church here where I live we would all be dead waiting for the police to show up

Yeah I'll be the first to say I don't have an answer but something new I just heard was he was in the US Air Force... Something to consider.  Lack of help for people returning back into society.  Could have a play on it, might have not sure. 

I will say that although I don't have an answer I am glad the guy with the gun went after this shooter and potentially stopped more from happening.

As for how many churches near me get shot up?  Not sure, how many in this tiny Town do?  Things don't happen till they happen.  When they do what can be done to reduce the Carnage?  I have yet to see a real answer to that.  The reality is there is no answers.  It's very sad indeed, the whole thing.  

25 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

Pick a side really... dems want gun control (whatever that means) reps want immigration reform.  Neither side wants both. 

Sorry, and apologize for diverting the thread a bit here but what you say here is not true.

Democrats, with some Republican support, proposed and passed an immigration bill in the Senate in 2013 (called the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013).  It allocated billions of dollars for border security and enhanced vetting in exchange for a pathway to citizenship for DREAMERs.  It would have put various new restrictions on the H1B visa program that has been the primary vehicle for landed refugees and undocumented workers to illegally stay in the country.  It would have ended the Diversity Visa program that Trump railed about last week after the NYC terrorist attack and replaced the largely lottery-based immigration  structure to a points-based mechanism.  The bill would have reduced the US debt by $700 billion over a twenty year period.  

This was largely a Democratic effort in the Senate where it passed.  In the Republican-controlled house, the bill was never voted on and hence promptly died.  The suggestion that Democrats don't want immigration reform is not true.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gunsguy said:

Pick a side really... dems want gun control (whatever that means)

It means control of guns. It's kind of obvious if you read the words. ;)

That is not an argument either way from myself I just think its interesting that a gun can stop a gunman.  If this happened at a church here where I live we would all be dead waiting for the police to show up

But it probably wouldn't happen there because gun control.

10 hours ago, Dazey said:

Not sure if he was a terrorist or just a nutjob. They haven't said if he was white or not yet. 

i'll never understand what being white or not has to do with terrorism.

there lives a radical islamist in my neighbourhoud and he is white, blonde with blue eyes.

likewise, plenty of "non-white" people who arent muslim at all.

Edited by action

13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/05/opinion/editorials/editorial-debate-gun-control.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Too bad it's not a hard copy , I like to set the NYT under the kitty's toilet 

58 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Especially when you consider the rise of the 3D printer. It simply isn't feasible.

Didn't know you could 3D print a bullet. 

58 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

So that leads me to believe it isn't about guns and tragic deaths. But control. I'm sure it will segue into more oppressive laws like not needing search warrants.

Let's say banning things, something that is totally ingrained and widespread, actually works. What do you(anyone who supports gun restrictions/bans) think should happen to the hyper-militarized policing force? Should they have their guns taken away too?

Yes, yes they should. No police force needs a fucking tank!

Long story short. You have less guns, you have less gun crime. Nations who have enacted stricter gun laws have seen corresponding reductions in gun related crime. 

The US is a special case but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work there. You always have to start somewhere and it would be a very long road but it's a lot better than just doing nothing.

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 2