Jump to content

Appetite for Distortion Ep. 34 - Ryan Roxie, Slash’s Snakepit


Recommended Posts

Calling in from Sweden, veteran guitarist Ryan Roxie joins Brando and Scotto on episode 34. Roxie has recorded several albums with Alice Cooper and currently tours with the shock-rock legend. He has also teamed with Gilby Clarke and was a member of Slash’s Snakepit for their 2nd record, Ain’t Life Grand.

Ryan shares stories of how soon the idea of Snakepit came after the demise of GnR, the album-making process with Slash, his journey as a musician, and so much more!

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just heard the entire interview portion and its great!  Some neat insights to that snakepit period and Roxies career in general.  I do remember Slash being pretty bitter about that lineup at one point, neat to get another voice on it.  The Rod Jackson bit is really something!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Calling in from Sweden, veteran guitarist Ryan Roxie joins Brando and Scotto on episode 34. Roxie has recorded several albums with Alice Cooper and currently tours with the shock-rock legend. He has also teamed with Gilby Clarke and was a member of Slash’s Snakepit for their 2nd record, Ain’t Life Grand.

Ryan shares stories of how soon the idea of Snakepit came after the demise of GnR, the album-making process with Slash, his journey as a musician, and so much more!

 

 

 

Sounds interesting. Need to listen to this, thanks for posting!

  • GNFNR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Same here! Especially since I can’t find a picture of Ryan with Snakepit. He said he has “on many hard drives ago.”

It would be awesome if he can find the pic!  Its a neat piece of info.  I think he said it was a tour of the southern USA?  The its self seems interesting to me - why wouldn't Slash have a full US tour?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just listened to it, you guys did a great job. Maybe I'm even more die hard than you guys, but I would have loved some questions about the recorded but unreleased tracks like Bleed or What Kind Of Life and why they were on the early promo discs but not on the final album, and how they recorded the song Aint Life Grand considering it's a rerecording of a track called Burnout slash recorded in 1992 with Lenny Kravitz and Duff. If it's much different to the original etc. Maybe next time? Gonna start listening to your earlier podcasts now!

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ryan buggered off before the album came out to play for Alice Cooper. Kelli was certainly in place when they played Europe. 

If you had read the responses earlier, you would see that Ryan said in this podcast he did play live shows before he left. I thought he left after recording aswell.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Just listened to it, you guys did a great job. Maybe I'm even more die hard than you guys, but I would have loved some questions about the recorded but unreleased tracks like Bleed or What Kind Of Life and why they were on the early promo discs but not on the final album, and how they recorded the song Aint Life Grand considering it's a rerecording of a track called Burnout slash recorded in 1992 with Lenny Kravitz and Duff. If it's much different to the original etc. Maybe next time? Gonna start listening to your earlier podcasts now!

Yes! Next time for sure. We welcome the die-diehards to contribute and correct us if needed. Appreciate the feedback 🤘🏻

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Yes! Next time for sure. We welcome the die-diehards to contribute and correct us if needed. Appreciate the feedback 🤘🏻

Also interesting to hear would be his thoughts on what lead to that bands demise. I've heard Rod was too much of a pothead and Slash had trouble staying clean around him since he had that heart thing at the time. Would be cool to hear from someone on the inside who isn't Slash

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

Just listened to it, you guys did a great job. Maybe I'm even more die hard than you guys, but I would have loved some questions about the recorded but unreleased tracks like Bleed or What Kind Of Life and why they were on the early promo discs but not on the final album, and how they recorded the song Aint Life Grand considering it's a rerecording of a track called Burnout slash recorded in 1992 with Lenny Kravitz and Duff. If it's much different to the original etc. Maybe next time? Gonna start listening to your earlier podcasts now!

was Burnout a demo, or was it officially released? I love Snakepit II and didn't know this. I have terrible sound quality versions of the unreleased songs... Be great if there were good quality versions available?

Edited by ToonGuns
edit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

 

was Burnout a demo, or was it officially released? I love Snakepit II and didn't know this. I have terrible sound quality versions of the unreleased songs... Be great if there were good quality versions available?

It's a fully recorded song that was never released. Slash bought back the rights to it after he realized the label would just sit on it since it wasn't released on the Les Paul tribute album it was supposed to be on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slash - despite hyping this up in interviews at the time with, ''yeh man, when all things are considered we are on the same musical page and a rock n' fuckin roll band etc etc'' - completely pilloried this whole period in his book, labeling the band a bunch of addicts leeching off of his celebrity.

Typical Slash u-turning flakiness. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to listen to your podcast through The standard iPhone-application. Now I've got a new (Android)  phone and would like to listen it through the standard app in this Phone (acast)  but I can't find it! So my question is:

Is it my lack of skill in finding things that are at fault here or do you just release your podcast through soundcloud and iTunes? 

Would really love to hear this one since ALT is The best album that slash has been involved in since UYI. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

I used to listen to your podcast through The standard iPhone-application. Now I've got a new (Android)  phone and would like to listen it through the standard app in this Phone (acast)  but I can't find it! So my question is:

Is it my lack of skill in finding things that are at fault here or do you just release your podcast through soundcloud and iTunes? 

Would really love to hear this one since ALT is The best album that slash has been involved in since UYI. 

SoundCloud, iTunes or the iHeartRadio and Spreaker apps too. All free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Slash - despite hyping this up in interviews at the time with, ''yeh man, when all things are considered we are on the same musical page and a rock n' fuckin roll band etc etc'' - completely pilloried this whole period in his book, labeling the band a bunch of addicts leeching off of his celebrity.

Typical Slash u-turning flakiness. 

 

yeah I always thought that was a shame when I read his autobiography. He also glanced over it, maybe only a page or two for the whole band!

I loved this lineup and always wishes they'd done more. I preferred this album to Contraband. More rnfnr. Serial Killer is a quality song. I remember interviews from the time where slash was actually talking about the next album... And reviews were strong. Shame really, the whole leeching thing seemed a stretch.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...