Melissa Reese Cosmopolitan Interview, Talks About Joining The Band, Close Relationship With Axl

Hey guys, not sure if this has been posted, but Melissa recently did an interview with Cosmopolitan talking about her start in the music business all the way to becoming a member of Guns N' Roses. She shares some cool stories on her time with the band and how the members took to her at the beginning. Figured I'd post the link for anyone interested. 

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/career/a13140857/melissa-reese-interview-first-female-member-of-guns-n-roses-get-that-life/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting read. I like how Axl is being portrayed there. Also, I respect her for being successful and educated and knowledgable (couldn't tell if she is but she says so), standing her ground and all that. The signal she's sending out (woman entering "a man's field" aka some cock rock band) to younger women and girls is fine. 

I just don't see her musically relevant at all for the band.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Interesting read. I like how Axl is being portrayed there. Also, I respect her for being successful and educated and knowledgable (couldn't tell if she is but she says so), standing her ground and all that. The signal she's sending out (woman entering "a man's field" aka some cock rock band) to younger women and girls is fine. 

I just don't see her musically relevant at all for the band.

She's basically the background singers, the horn section and a synth player in one person

• Like 4

Just now, Sosso said:

She's basically the background singers, the horn section and a synth player in one person

How's she playing horns? Don't hear any...? They already have Dizzy. Why do they need a synth.

It's been discussed with no end already. I was never a friend of the background singers, not even in 1992.

It all comes down to the question of taste which you probably can't really debate. I think the songs are strong and meaningful by themselves, they have a huge impact and would also have it in huge venues.

• Like 3

Just now, Tori72 said:

How's she playing horns? Don't hear any...? They already have Dizzy. Why do they need a synth.

It's been discussed with no end already. I was never a friend of the background singers, not even in 1992.

It all comes down to the question of taste which you probably can't really debate. I think the songs are strong and meaningful by themselves, they have a huge impact and would also have it in huge venues.

She play's the horns at Live and Let Die. They also actually need the synths because of the synth orchestra in November Rain and all that synth stuff from Chinese Democracy

• Like 2

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

Agree and she is still annoying as fuck.. 

Like what, her dancing? lol I don't know why but I think she's a really nice, dear girl with adorable blue hair. I'm not even joking. I like her. But it annoys me that there was loot to spend on someone I don't see as relevant at all. So it is not really her who's annoying me but those loot-decision-makers.... :D 

• Like 1

Just now, Tori72 said:

Like what, her dancing? lol I don't know why but I think she's a really nice, dear girl with adorable blue hair. I'm not even joking. I like her. But it annoys me that there was loot to spend on someone I don't see as relevant at all. So it is not really her who's annoying me but those loot-decision-makers.... :D 

I guess that anyone would take the spot of the second keyboardist. It's actually the best place in the stadium to watch the concert.

4 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5059539

Lol.

Sorry, had to. :hug:

Never mind.

But she could atcually add a lot more. Synth layers on Rocket Queen and YCBM for example :lol:

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Pitman fiasco is so strange. He was clearly involved. Something happened behind the scenes and I'm curious as to what. Why the hell would he be anything but stoked for the reunion? It'd be the biggest gig of his life to back up Axl, Slash, and Duff throughout NITL. 

Massive ego/personality clashes with Duff and Slash? Maybe a new album (lol) was shelved in favor of the reunion?

Just can't believe how bad he shot himself in the foot

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

The Pitman fiasco is so strange. He was clearly involved. Something happened behind the scenes and I'm curious as to what. Why the hell would he be anything but stoked for the reunion? It'd be the biggest gig of his life to back up Axl, Slash, and Duff throughout NITL. 

Massive ego/personality clashes with Duff and Slash? Maybe a new album (lol) was shelved in favor of the reunion?

I wonder if going from writing music one on one with Axl at Axls home to being offered that fighter pilot money for NITL was disillusioning?

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

He was actually very excited about the Coachella gigs. I think it had to be a personal thing because he was the last one to remain from the RIR 2001 line-up (aside Dizzy and Axl)

Edited by Sosso

Just now, soon said:

I wonder if going from writing music one on one with Axl at Axls home to being offered that fighter pilot money for NITL was disillusioning?

I'm sure his salary wouldn't have decreased with NITL. If anything, it probably got a boost because the profits are that much more. Even if it isn't in the same stratosphere as Axl, Slash, and Duff it probably was still a lot. 

What the heck does the guy think he is? He was the second keyboardist in a band full of replacements. It isn't a knock on his status, I'd (or anyone else on here) would have loved to be in/be a part of GNR in any way. Thats quite the job description. But, come on, he can't be that dumb to think he would deserve the same status or money as Slash and Duff can he?

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

He was actually very excited about the Coachella gigs. I think it had to be a personal thing because the last one to remain from the RIR 2001 line-up (aside Dizzy and Axl)

My guess is he was probably told to shut up after he posted the Coachella flyer and got pissed. His attitude probably soured and things spiraled downwards from there

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

My guess is he was probably told to shut up after he posted the Coachella flyer and got pissed. His attitude probably soured and things spiraled downwards from there

I'm still against the decision of him not being involved. I would like to see him as the keyboardist and Melissa as the background singer at this tour.

Edited by Sosso