Melissa Reese Cosmopolitan Interview, Talks About Joining The Band, Close Relationship With Axl

20 minutes ago, cosmicblues said:

That's interesting. I seem to remember MSL posting that the "If the World" remix he had had the "We Were Rock You" drum beat sampled underneath it. Looks like he was right. Also, the other song they performed (in addition to "Sorry") is KISS' "Do You Love Me?," albeit very different from the original. An interesting selection of songs to play at an NBA halftime game!

A leaked clip of the remix has been online for years. Everyone knew it:

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

The song between Sorry and If the World is by KISS:

Can't believe the If the World remix was played at a half-time show. That's gotta be up there in terms of most bizarre happenings in the GNR world.

Brain seems to have a pretty sweet gig going with GNR, god knows how long he's been on Axl's payroll. Would like to hear more of his drumming on future tracks, his drums on Prostitute are immense (though I wonder what Freese's drumming sounded like originally on that, as he gets a credit for arrangement).

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ratam said:

Yes.

That's what I always figured, but it's not mentioned or even really alluded to once in this article!

Considering it's Cosmo and the target audience of that publication, let's face it, particularly "get off" on that type of gossipy discussion, I'm quite surprised. ;-D

1 hour ago, Blake Sabbath said:

That's what I always figured, but it's not mentioned or even really alluded to once in this article!

Considering it's Cosmo and the target audience of that publication, let's face it, particularly "get off" on that type of gossipy discussion, I'm quite surprised. ;-D

Yes,you is right, maybe Melissa not want this question in the interviews ☺

I have nothing major against Melissa, but I'm really annoyed by this idea that her being in the band is some kind of a great victory for women (and that anyone who doesn't like her being there is therefore a misogynist). Do these people think it's a mere coincidence that the only woman in the band is a model 20-30 years younger than the men in the band?

I fail to see what glass ceilings she has broken. She's not the first woman to climb up on stage with GNR. I suppose she's one step above the strippers they used to have on stage, because she's allowed to sing backup and play an instrument, but that still makes her no different from Tracey and Roberta and the horn section.

In the world outside of GNR, it's perfectly normal for women to hold all kinds of jobs, including playing in a band. From that perspective, it's even harder to see what is so groundbreaking about what she's doing.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

In the world outside of GNR, it's perfectly normal for women to hold all kinds of jobs, including playing in a band. From that perspective, it's even harder to see what is so groundbreaking about what she's doing.

Not true that women hold ALL KINDS of jobs, neither playing in a band is something regular and common for women but if you want to know why she's being highlighted now it is because everybody knows GN'R is a bunch of mysoginist men, with songs/lyrics that were full of mysoginit messages, videos and a couple of the band members accussed of rape, domestic violence and abortion induction, so in a band that used to be like that, a band of all men, it is obviously a novelty that Melissa gets to be recognized as a band member.

No, she's not like Tracy and Roberta. They weren't onstage for the whole show, neither the female horn section. And none of them was ever allowed to touch GN'R material and re-arrange it to perform a solo show, so I guess it makes sense that the evolution in the band is highlighted.

I wouldn't call it groundbreaking but for the GN'R world, it certainly it is a wind of change-

Edited by killuridols

On 11/9/2017 at 5:54 PM, Tom-Ass said:

The fact that she is in her thirties but acts like a 13 year old? Her annoying tweets.. The way she acts on stage.. You name it.. Besides all that I am sure she is really nice. 

If they wanted immature and annoying they should have brought Adler back.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Not true that women hold ALL KINDS of jobs, neither playing in a band is something regular and common for women

Maybe not over there in Afghanistan. In America it shouldn't be cause for wonder and amazement, especially since it's happened before even in GNR.

No, she's not like Tracy and Roberta. They weren't onstage for the whole show, neither the female horn section.

To me her role seems just as minimal, if not more so. I barely notice she's there.

And none of them was ever allowed to touch GN'R material and re-arrange it to perform a solo show, so I guess it makes sense that the evolution in the band is highlighted.

How do you know they weren't allowed to do that? Is it even up to GNR to decide what people play during their solo shows?

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Leaving aside pecuniary incentives, an equally valid question as 'why would gnr include a woman', is, 'why would a woman want to be in gnr?'

I believe it wasn´t a question of gender. They lost Pitman just before the tour began, she was there, she was able to do the job so they hired her. I don´t think they were philosophizing too much about the fact that she was a woman.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Derick said:

I believe it wasn´t a question of gender. They lost Pitman just before the tour began, she was there, she was able to do the job so they hired her. I don´t think they were philosophizing too much about the fact that she was a woman.

Exactly. Like so many things over the years, I'm certain the fan base put WAY more thought into this than GN'R did

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

Maybe not over there in Afghanistan. In America it shouldn't be cause for wonder and amazement, especially since it's happened before even in GNR.

I have no idea about Afghanistan but I live in America, in Argentina, and I am pretty sure there's still a lot of jobs that women are not allowed to do or are not sought after for them. I don't think in the USA women are working in construction in masses, like you suggest "any" job, or it does not look to me that you have a quite significant amount of women piloting a plane.

In the music business, yes, there are plenty of solo female artists and some all female bands. In mixed gender bands? Not that much.

To me her role seems just as minimal, if not more so. I barely notice she's there.

Your limited perception of things going on  onstage cannot be generalized.

Not saying her presence is huge or her role is outstanding but she is there the whole show, does chorus and plays an instrument. So she does the job of 2 choir girls and 3 horn people.

How do you know they weren't allowed to do that? Is it even up to GNR to decide what people play during their solo shows?

I am talking about the Sorry/If The World mashup. She mentioned getting permission from Axl to play around with it.