Iron Maiden - Legacy Of The Beast World Tour 2018-2021

Powerage5

Nice one!! Looking forward to this. Even some of the song titles have me getting excited :lol:

A question for the Maiden heads here, does anyone know how limited the 10” clear vinyl of “the reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg” is?
I’ve seen 500 copies mentioned for the US, but what is the worldwide total on this?

Maybe some of you kind folk know.

6 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Nice one!! Looking forward to this. Even some of the song titles have me getting excited :lol:

A question for the Maiden heads here, does anyone know how limited the 10” clear vinyl of “the reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg” is?
I’ve seen 500 copies mentioned for the US, but what is the worldwide total on this?

Maybe some of you kind folk know.

The US pressing was limited to 500, don't think a number was ever attached to the EU/UK pressing. Regardless, neither of them fetch a particularly large amount of money. 

On the topic of the new album - I'm really excited for this one, despite not being blown away by The Writing On The Wall. Everything about this album release cycle sort of breaks the mold for how Maiden normally do things, so this all feels a little different. First off, they've never released and album in the middle of a tour cycle. Second, They've never dropped a single before announcing the album - usually the lead single comes 4-6 weeks after the album has been announced. The song titles are atypical of Maiden's usual fare other than a couple, and the songwriting credits are curious; a short track cowritten by Janick, and particularly the album closing with three 10+ minute Steve solo compositions - I have a hunch that this may end up being a musical trilogy. It's not often Maiden has an opening track as the title track (The only other examples are Caught Somewhere In Time and Satellite 15...The Final Frontier, which are both de facto title tracks, not exact title tracks). Even the album title is out of the ordinary - Maiden album titles usually have a bit of grandiosity to them, this one is short and to the point (The only other one-word titles are Killers and Powerslave). And the descriptions in the press release have me excited - mentions of very complex songs and songs that don't necessarily sound like Maiden are big positives in my book. I'm a massive fan of the prog direction Maiden has taken since Brave New World, and TBOS largely felt like a step back towards normalcy for the most part (I do however think it's the best post-reunion album). I'm hoping this one picks back up where The Final Frontier left off, in a sense. 

• Like 1

Why are the new Iron Maiden albums just Eddie in a black Background? They'd look so much better with a proper setting. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED tBoS and I'm stoked for the new one but these covers need that vintage touch that got our imagination going!

12 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Dance of Death cover had a setting.
You don't listen to the covers anyway :shrugs:

Yeah. One album had a crappy cover so let’s make all the album covers be eddie in a black background. 

You don’t listen to the cover but the cover adds to the listening experience, especially when the album has a theme. Just look at Sleep’s Dopesmoker, Rush’s Hemispheres or Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. No, scrap that - look at Powerslave, Number of the Beast and Somewhere in Time.

19 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Yeah. One album had a crappy cover so let’s make all the album covers be eddie in a black background. 

You don’t listen to the cover but the cover adds to the listening experience, especially when the album has a theme. Just look at Sleep’s Dopesmoker, Rush’s Hemispheres or Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. No, scrap that - look at Powerslave, Number of the Beast and Somewhere in Time.

The thing with all those is, they have covers that were designed during the records/vinyl era, there was a lot more real estate to design the cover and have more elements at play. That's been lost now, it was lost when cassettes became the primary sales format, and the same with cds. It's different designing a cover for vinyl than for smaller formats and have it still work visually. 
How do people consume music now? itunes, apple music, spotify, tidal? Now you just see a tiny square on your screen, the image needs to still be legible and looking at the Senjutsu cover reduced to spotify size, it still says Iron Maiden and you can see Eddie and the album title. You put a highly detailed background behind that, you're not gonna see anything when scrolling on a phone screen. I think that's the reasoning behind the Book Of Souls cover and this one.

• GNFNR 1

Just now, moreblack said:

The thing with all those is, they have covers that were designed during the records/vinyl era, there was a lot more real estate to design the cover and have more elements at play. That's been lost now, it was lost when cassettes became the primary sales format, and the same with cds. It's different designing a cover for vinyl than for smaller formats and have it still work visually. 
How do people consume music now? itunes, apple music, spotify, tidal? Now you just see a tiny square on your screen, the image needs to still be legible and looking at the Senjutsu cover reduced to spotify size, it still says Iron Maiden and you can see Eddie and the album title. You put a highly detailed background behind that, you're not gonna see anything when scrolling on a phone screen. I think that's the reasoning behind the Book Of Souls cover and this one.

Bingo. That's probably it. Metallica did it with Hardwired, the tendency is simple, recognizable covers that work well in small screens. They could have made a cool vinyl edition, maybe. I mean... look at this fanmade version:

kkp7lhjq8jc71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Bingo. That's probably it. Metallica did it with Hardwired, the tendency is simple, recognizable covers that work well in small screens. They could have made a cool vinyl edition, maybe. I mean... look at this fanmade version:

kkp7lhjq8jc71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

He forgot the Japanese seal behind Eddie's head. Looks good otherwise when it's bigger. But at a spotify size, the band name gets kinda lost and reducing the size of the album title really makes it hard to read. I bet whatever designs were proposed, were tested in various sizes, but anything they considered for a final, had to work on a phone screen.

AMOLAD and Final Frontier covers were tight but I see the point about back to back albums with the black background. So be it. I'm mad pumped about this.

@Powerage5 - you think there's any chance at all they convert the 2022 dates to Senjutsu shows, or finish those out and then do a totally separate tour in late 2022 or '23?

10 hours ago, Mansin Humanity said:

AMOLAD and Final Frontier covers were tight but I see the point about back to back albums with the black background. So be it. I'm mad pumped about this.

@Powerage5 - you think there's any chance at all they convert the 2022 dates to Senjutsu shows, or finish those out and then do a totally separate tour in late 2022 or '23?

Little to none if you ask me. LOTB only just got pushed back to 2022 a couple months ago. I very much think that's a strong indicator that the tour will remain largely the same as the first two legs, or at least the plans originally laid for 2020 if anything were supposed to change. Add on the fact that the tour poster is the same as the 2021 tour poster that was included in some editions of Nights Of The Dead which still strongly references a number of songs in the LOTB setlist, it all seems to indicate it's still in line with the rest of the LOTB tour. I could see some song off Senjutsu getting added for next year if there is a song that fits any of the stage set themes in the LOTB show, but that remains to be seen.

Of course I could be completely wrong - we are very much in uncharted territory for Maiden with releasing a new album during a tour cycle. 

• Like 1

Also at Kerrang interview Bruce mentioned an idea of "playing complete album live"...

Also, all those rescheduling is still in the air since situation related to concerts  is changing every day and noone knows what is going to be next week...

• GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

Also at Kerrang interview Bruce mentioned an idea of "playing complete album live"...

Also, all those rescheduling is still in the air since situation related to concerts  is changing every day and noone knows what is going to be next week...

Last time they did this with a new album was eith AMOLAD, right?

11 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Last time they did this with a new album was eith AMOLAD, right?

The only time, yes. I would take that with an extreme grain of salt though. I very much doubt the band has figured out the setlist for the new album tour a year in advance, more likely it's Bruce just getting over-excited about the new material. Would love if they go that route again though, the AMOLAD tour was incredible. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

The only time, yes. I would take that with an extreme grain of salt though. I very much doubt the band has figured out the setlist for the new album tour a year in advance, more likely it's Bruce just getting over-excited about the new material. Would love if they go that route again though, the AMOLAD tour was incredible. 

I was at the Dublin gig on this tour. It was great for me to hear that album in full. They’d played Dublin the year before on the “Eddie rips up the world” tour so got the warhorses on that tour. 

It wasn’t so great for my brother who was seeing Maiden for the first time! They played 5-6 oldies at the end of the MOLAD material, so he was happy enough, but an entire new album is hard for a casual fan turning up to the gig. 
(He had been forewarned) 

Maiden are one of those bands who it’s great to be a fan of. The tour cycles since a brave new world have been a dream. Old material, new material, they tour and play it all. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I was at the Dublin gig on this tour. It was great for me to hear that album in full. They’d played Dublin the year before on the “Eddie rips up the world” tour so got the warhorses on that tour. 

It wasn’t so great for my brother who was seeing Maiden for the first time! They played 5-6 oldies at the end of the MOLAD material, so he was happy enough, but an entire new album is hard for a casual fan turning up to the gig. 
(He had been forewarned) 

Maiden are one of those bands who it’s great to be a fan of. The tour cycles since a brave new world have been a dream. Old material, new material, they tour and play it all. 

It really is amazing to me the way some hardcore Maiden fans bitch about how stale the setlists are. Yes, there are a number of songs that are in heavy rotation between tours. But, there are relatively few you're guaranteed to hear. The only song that has been played on every tour since BNW is Iron Maiden. Fear Of The Dark and Number Of The Beast have both been dropped once. The Trooper and Hallowed have both been dropped twice. Then you've got Wrathchild, Run To The Hills, Aces High, 2 Minutes To Midnight, The Evil That Men Do, and The Wicker Man in regular rotation, as well as a few historically lesser-played songs like Revelations, Wasted Years, The Clairvoyant, and Blood Brothers lumped into the same category. Beyond that - it's all songs that haven't been played on more than one or two tours. It's not fait to expect the setlists to be entirely geared towards hardcore fans, and I think generally speaking the band has done a very good job of balancing big hits with deep cuts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

I'm always up for something less played, and I got Sign Of The Cross, For The Greater Good Of God, Icarus, Clansman, last time around. It was dope.

LOTB was the best setlist I've seen them do I think. It was well-rounded - lots of hits, lots of deep cuts, everybody wins. Not to mention throwing in a song like Icarus pleases both the casuals and the diehards; it's a big hit, but it hadn't been played since 1986. I've got friends who have seen Maiden over 200 or 300 times - one has seen them an estimated 500 times (He's lost count) who had never seen Icarus live, that's saying something. I got four songs I'd never seen them do live before (Where Eagles Dare, Clansman, Sign Of The Cross, and Icarus) so I was really happy personally also. Add on a stellar stage show, that tour was really something. 

• Like 1

Only time I got to see Maiden live was back in 2013, in Rock in Rio, during the Maiden England Tour. Great setlist, focusing on my all-time Maiden album, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. However, I do feel sad they left out Hallowed Be Thy Name. It's my all-time favorite Maiden song. 

I don't really care about setlist anymore - I saw Maiden England and LOTB so I saw 2 of their best setlists they ever played IMO...

Anything further I'll enjoy, it's Maiden after all... if it's setlist of 16 repetitions of Iron Maiden i will enjoy it...

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...