Iron Maiden - Legacy Of The Beast World Tour 2018-2021

Powerage5

• 2 weeks later...

The album is out and it sounds like trash. Nah, not the songs. But the production, I don't get it. The last album also sounded terrible. Like it's coming from a basement or something

On the other hand, the songs themselves were very enjoyable. The last 3 songs were my 3 highlights so far

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

The album is out and it sounds like trash. Nah, not the songs. But the production, I don't get it. The last album also sounded terrible. Like it's coming from a basement or something

On the other hand, the songs themselves were very enjoyable. The last 3 songs were my 3 highlights so far

Yes, sound is odd, as it was on TBOS... But I find song better than last 2 albums...

I have it on loop whole day now, so I don't know what song is 1st and what last :D

But I like Stratego,  The Time Machine and the last 3 most... They could without seaguls so it would fit on 1 CD :D

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mansin Humanity said:

where's the @Powerage5 review at

i've only listened once through but i definitely liked it - time machine, parchment, and hell on earth stood out most. obviously an album that will reward repeated listens so i have some more ahead of me.

I've been a bit busy :lol: I was on a trip down to Nashville when the album came out and I've still only managed to listen a handful of times. But here goes...

Might surprise you to hear I am not blown away by it...yet. It is growing on me, but I'm still fairly lukewarm on it. I do not consider this a bad thing though - I had similar feelings about The Book Of Souls and The Final Frontier upon release, and they've grown to be amongst my favorite Maiden albums. This album is dense, dark, and hard to digest. Even after a handful of listens, some of the songs tend to blur together. I have hardly digested the lyrics, but I like what I've managed to decipher. I do really like when I feel lukewarm about a new album - it forces me to listen more critically, and decide what I actually like about the songs. The three that have clicked with me best so far are Darkest Hour, The Writing On The Wall, and Hell On Earth.

Onto a track-by-track breakdown:

Senjutsu - This is one that's grown on me a lot since my first listen. It's big, it's quite heavy, and it's a very atypical opening track. It feels a bit power metal-ish to me - Sabaton in particular, both in terms of sound and lyrical content. If I have one real gripe about this one it's that it's a bit too long for its own good; its good but it really goes almost nowhere in its eight and a half minutes. 

Stratego - Typical single fare for Maiden. Good to have a gallop (Albeit a slower gallop) again, and its catchy. Not a fan of the guitar doubling the vocals on the verses, sounds a bit muddy. But a good track for what it is. 

The Writing On The Wall - Its like I can see into the future with this one; I thought it was okay when it was first released, and now I'm loving it. I love the whole western vibe of this one, reminds me a lot of Wheel In The Sky by Journey. I love the lyrics on the verses, they paint a vivid picture that is enhanced by the excellent music video, but the track suffers from a weak chorus. All that said, after the hype in the press release about the album being so diverse and full of new territory for Maiden, this track still stands out as the most unique. 

Lost In A Lost World - This one has yet to click with me at all. Its bland, goes nowhere, and has a weak chorus. It all just feels a little too formulaic, it has all the worst traits across Maiden's 21st century output all rolled into one track. Weakest song on the album by a large margin I think.

Days Of Future Past - It's a straight, no bullshit rocker, which Maiden doesn't do enough nowadays. Great solo from Adrian on this one. It's never going to end up one of my favorites, but it serves the album well and gives it a great shot of energy. 

The Time Machine - Another that's growing on me a lot. The intro is far too derivative and similar to The Book Of Souls, The Talisman, and The Legacy, but once it gets going it's great. This one goes in all sorts of different directions, it manages to be the proggiest track on the album while being the fourth shortest track on the album. 

Darkest Hour - I love this track, far and away the best on the album I think. It's like the lovechild of Coming Home and Wasting Love, how it sits comfortably between slow burning rocker and ballad with a big, anthemic chorus. This is the only track that completely blew me away on my first listen. The seagull bit at the end goes on for a bit too long though.

Death Of The Celts - The Clansman 2.0. It's...fine. But it's almost uncomfortable how similar the soft intro is. Once the song gets going it's better but still doesn't do anything Maiden hasn't done on any other 10 minute tracks. 

The Parchment - Another one that is growing on me, but I'm not quite there with it yet. Love the modal scale (Phrygian I think just from hearing it?), it's something that Maiden doesn't experiment with often enough. Again though, it just doesn't feel like it uses its runtime well - it doesn't feel like it needs to be a 12 minute track. 

Hell On Earth - I do really like this one already, but I haven't fully digested it yet. This track is dense - it's the antithesis of a typical Maiden epic; it's not formulaic, it goes in a lot of different directions, and it doesn't exactly tell a story. The form of this one is tough to follow, even the soft intro doesn't really follow any sort of traditional form - it's fairly open-ended by Maiden's standards. Curious to see how this one sits for me when I've fully digested it. 

So yeah, it's a decent album that I haven't fully formulated my opinions of yet. It's certainly not bad but it is definitely out there even by modern Maiden standards. I think some of the comparisons made in the press to The X Factor were apt - there's a handful of tracks here that feel like they'd be at home on that album. I think the biggest problem on this album is there is most certainly fat on nearly every track that could've been trimmed. I'm not usually one to say anything from Maiden feels bloated, with a few select exceptions (The Red And The Black, anyone?). But this album really feels bloated to me. It had no business being a double album (Especially at being a double album by less than two minutes), and that they just felt the need to follow the precedent set by TBOS. I'm not a fan of the idea being floated in the press from Bruce and Steve that they may play the album live in its entirety - that worked really well for AMOLAD, but I just do not feel this is as coherent an album, and I think even for a lot of diehard fans that would be an incredibly taxing concert. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 10:11 AM, Mansin Humanity said:

Floor tickets locked in for Newark, hell yeah brother!! Never seen Maiden in an arena, or from anywhere other than a shed lawn. Mad pumped for this.

@Powerage5 you coming or what?

I'm not doing any Maiden gigs. I have my reasons and I'll leave it at that. 

• Sad 1

Settled on Hamilton for now. Hovered over those GA tickets but I'm taking my eight year old so I thought better of at least a place to sit and got a pair of lower bowl tickets.

Ottawa being the following Saturday leaves that perfectly open as a potential second show, but I'll wait until closer to. Either way, I'm excited to finally see this tour in person. I hope they don't mix the set list up too much.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

IM played their first show since October 2019 last night in Zagreb, Croatia. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maiden/2022/arena-zagreb-zagreb-croatia-4bb7632e.html
not a massive fan of the setlist, they should’ve kept The Wicker Man and 2 Minutes at least. Also with a back catalogue like Maidens, a song like Blood Brothers shouldn’t be in the set. But nice to have some Senjustu songs in there 

On 5/24/2022 at 12:55 AM, Nicklord said:

I don't like the structure to be honest. It's new songs then deep/er cuts then hits. I get the new songs being played together due to theme but it's still a bit weird

Caused really slow start, since I dont find neither Senjutsu nor Stratego as "concert songs"... The show started wit 'Writing'...

The rest is more or less as predicted. Closing with Aces is strange but...

I liked 1st leg more, bit Bruce seems better now...

If "complete senjutsu" show comes, I'll go...

Edit: is it me or is audience younger with every tour?

Edited by -Jaro-