Classic Rock GN'R special mag

In a word- no. However I have purchased several Classic Rock publications over the years which recycle old photos and stories folks like Mick Wall wrote in the early 1990s. There won't be anything new in it. It's a nice collectable item for high-quality photos, but very formulaic Classic Rock. 

2 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

In a word- no. However I have purchased several Classic Rock publications over the years which recycle old photos and stories folks like Mick Wall wrote in the early 1990s. There won't be anything new in it. It's a nice collectable item for high-quality photos, but very formulaic Classic Rock. 

In their defence would Guns N' Roses agree to an interview/photoshoot? This is what other bands do, even defunct bands. Classic Rock have rather no choice reusing stuff as this band are ran like Area 51. Slash used to be interviewed in that magazine every second issue until he was brainzapped by Rose and the Lebeis crew. Izzy also did an 'very interesting' interview in that magazine about ten years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

In their defence would Guns N' Roses agree to an interview/photoshoot? This is what other bands do, even defunct bands. Classic Rock have rather no choice reusing stuff as this band are ran like Area 51. Slash used to be interviewed in that magazine every second issue until he was brainzapped by Rose and the Lebeis crew. Izzy also did an 'very interesting' interview in that magazine about ten years ago.

Absolutely not, I was just saying that Blake's probably read and seen all the content elsewhere. I didn't want Blake going above and beyond getting their hands on it in case they would be disappointed. 

I stopped reading it when they replaced Slash as their darling with Joe Bonamassa. I did get a free St Jude album on the front of it once, which is still one of my absolute favourite albums. 

• Thanks 1

CR and Metal Hammer here in the UK are still my go-to mags for proper meat and potatoes articles and discovering new bands, but I was also willing to give this a go anyway. Since it's sold out I suppose I'll be looking at close to 20 quid for it now!

On another note Classic Rock did co-release Marc Canter's Reckless Road in a larger coffee table book size, which I so luckily managed to snag a free copy of at the London screening of that in the end horrible latest GN'R doc by that guy, what's his name? Damn, that was a turkey in the end! ;-D

6 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

yeah i got it, it's just a collection of old interviews/pics neatly presented in a magazine. Nice little pressie to put on your Christmas list @Blake Sabbath

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's no substitute for reading a newspaper or magazine. The amount and quality of information in them is so much superior to that found online....not to mention the reliability and accountability aspects formed by ISPO and suchlike. 

Also (and this may just be a personal thing) you consume and retain things you read in them so much more. No distractions maybe? You scroll through stuff online- reading a paper or magazine makes you ACTUALLY read them. They also ensure you aren't only reading the news stories and articles you want and choose to (i.e. the echo chamber) and are instead being subjected to ideas and thoughts that may challenge you or stop you forming a shielded world view where the only thoughts and opinions you hear are those identical to your own. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

There's no substitute for reading a newspaper or magazine. The amount and quality of information in them is so much superior to that found online...

With all due respect allwaystired, where do you live?

I can't get a decent magazine anywhere nowadays, let alone a newspaper!  Printed news-media is dead.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

UK. 

There are a lot of great newspapers and magazines here- not just about music, about many things. 

The US newspapers I've seen are pretty limited I have to say, but I wondered whether that was just the ones I'd personally seen......

I used to love reading the daily newspaper, but that was probably 10 years ago!  The USA printed new business is long gone...sad.

My kids don't even know the pleasure of quiet morning time with a paper...now I'm just sounding like an old man! :facepalm:

21 hours ago, allwaystired said:

There's no substitute for reading a newspaper or magazine. The amount and quality of information in them is so much superior to that found online....not to mention the reliability and accountability aspects formed by ISPO and suchlike. 

Also (and this may just be a personal thing) you consume and retain things you read in them so much more. No distractions maybe? You scroll through stuff online- reading a paper or magazine makes you ACTUALLY read them. They also ensure you aren't only reading the news stories and articles you want and choose to (i.e. the echo chamber) and are instead being subjected to ideas and thoughts that may challenge you or stop you forming a shielded world view where the only thoughts and opinions you hear are those identical to your own. 

Thats absurd. I have The Guardian, New York Post, New Yrok Times, Sky News and BBC news all as apps on my phone. Constantly updated,  with videos and most of all free and  a shit tone more content than in a paper. 

32 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

I have a Guardian App etc. No need to pay for a newspaper when its free on my phone and supplemented  with videos etc. 

Well, I'm old school. Mobile phones do my head in. I keep mine usually switched off in my pocket. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well, I'm old school. Mobile phones do my head in. I keep mine usually switched off in my pocket. 

I use mine for work, news, internet, camera. 

Are they really still called MOBILE phones too? I mean who in this day and age still has one hardwired to the wall? To me its just phone. 

3 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

I use mine for work, news, internet, camera. 

Are they really still called MOBILE phones too? I mean who in this day and age still has one hardwired to the wall? To me its just phone. 

I have a normal phone also. I do not use that either haha. I follow the Greta Garbo school of social interaction. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, Izzymacbeth said:

I still can't believe magazines still exist post internet. I haven't bought a newspaper or mag since smartphones. 

I still get ET magazine. I like reading books and magazines made of actual paper. lol

I did get the Rolling Stone magazine special on GNR. Nothing new in it, but had some cool pictures of the band.

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I still get ET magazine. I like reading books and magazines made of actual paper. lol

I did get the Rolling Stone magazine special on GNR. Nothing new in it, but had some cool pictures of the band.

Agree! I have some ebooks but prefer books and mags in paper. Just how I like it is all..also got that RS mag. Wonderful pics! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

You like to romanticize the past.

Maybe so but I still prefer a newspaper or a magazine when I am travelling. They are so much more aesthetically pleasing and easier to read than a mobile phone, which I'm not very capable of using irrespective and tend to give me headaches. Besides, a newspaper is what? 50 or 60 pence? And then you just leave the thing on the train or somewhere when you're finished. 

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Maybe so but I still prefer a newspaper or a magazine when I am travelling. They are so much more aesthetically pleasing and easier to read than a mobile phone, which I'm not very capable of using irrespective and tend to give me headaches. Besides, a newspaper is what? 50 or 60 pence? And then you just leave the thing on the train or somewhere when you're finished. 

I've gotta say, I much prefer to read a proper paper given the choice. Used to get The Guardian and The Observer on a weekend but it seems to be overrun with vegans these days. Maybe it always was and I'm just less tolerant. Quite like The Telegraph supplement on a Saturday and Sunday.

Print media is improving. I've been saying this for a long time. You do have to do your research a bit more, but there is likely something out there to suit your interests and preference of quality. Magazines are probably getting more expensive, on average. But paying £5-£10 for an issue in print is a choice of investment in time as well as money. If you really like a magazine, show some loyalty and subscribe. You will always get a discount on the cover price, and it does keep people (like myself) in work. 

My two favourite discoveries of the past few years are Suitcase (for travel) https://suitcasemag.com and Noble Rot (food and wine) https://noblerot.co.uk/magazine