Thoughts on Double Talkin Jive

I always loved this song a lot but I think the album version is really weak. 91 live versions were ok. 92 and 93 versions were fantastic, Slashs solos were mind blown at times. 16/17 is consistently good but I don't think Slashs cleaner tone and being lower in the mix works as well on that song. 

Anybody got any thoughts? Favourite versions? 

• Like 1

I agree, the album version isn't that good compared to live versions. The mix on the album version is just not right. the live version though - one of my favourite parts in the set, time for Slash to really shine on a nice fast rocker. Favourites would be Argentina 92, Tokyo 92 is good too. 

A few interesting points about the live versions: they often played a riff section of Metallica's 'Welcome Home (Sanitarium)' during the intro. There are also some versions where they play a bit of Led Zeppelin 'Communication Breakdown'. (I've been trying to find the videos for that, post it up if you remember which one/s it is.)

The outro on the album version sounds almost identical to Pink Floyd's 'Spanish Piece'. The whole outro solo Slash does live is played in something called 'Phrygian mode' so I've been told by guitarists. Gives it that Latin feel.

The NITL version have been interesting, Slash's intro is updated, he starts off with an interesting sort of 50s rock n roll type riff near the beginning, that's the only way i can describe it, if you know what I'm sayin...

(Home fuck?) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Izzy on lead guitar on the album.

Wow really? Did he use Slashs rig? Cause that's Slashs tone..and I don't think I've ever heard Izzy play lead with any scale other than basic rock n roll pentatonic style stuff.

On a side note: does anyone know why Axl sang lead vocals instead of Izzy even when Izzy was in the band in 1991? That's my biggest gripe with the song, no Izzy live version (it's live better I agree)

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Wow really? Did he use Slashs rig? Cause that's Slashs tone..and I don't think I've ever heard Izzy play lead with any scale other than basic rock n roll pentatonic style stuff.

On a side note: does anyone know why Axl sang lead vocals instead of Izzy even when Izzy was in the band in 1991? That's my biggest gripe with the song, no Izzy live version (it's live better I agree)

This has been debated many times before on here.

My opinion is that it was Izzy using Slash's set up. It "sounds" like Slash, similar to the intro to Back Off Bitch, but more because of the tone. If you listen to the album version closely the playing is very average / understated for Slash compared to every other Slash solo on the album (and every live version of the song) and the speed is slow / sloppy which is why I think it is Izzy (which is also what the booklet says). It's an Izzy song as well so makes sense.

The counter argument is "it sounds like Slash because it is Slash, and the booklet is wrong" but I personally don't believe that.

Let's put it like this - if it is Slash he missed a trick and must have been having an off day that day.

I guess we'll never know for sure, unless someone can hit up Mike Clink on twitter or something.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

This has been debated many times before on here.

My opinion is that it was Izzy using Slash's set up. It "sounds" like Slash, similar to the intro to Back Off Bitch, but more because of the tone. If you listen to the album version closely the playing is very average / understated for Slash compared to every other Slash solo on the album (and every live version of the song) and the speed is slow / sloppy which is why I think it is Izzy (which is also what the booklet says). It's an Izzy song as well so makes sense.

The counter argument is "it sounds like Slash because it is Slash, and the booklet is wrong" but I personally don't believe that.

Let's put it like this - if it is Slash he missed a trick and must have been having an off day that day.

I guess we'll never know for sure, unless someone can hit up Mike Clink on twitter or something.

That's great if yes. I only knew Izzy played the intro to BOB. And he does not play on Civil War at all right?

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I know the answer to that having performed the song live myself, the main riff and the vocals are pretty tough to do at the same time without fucking it up. Its a fucker. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That's great if yes. I only knew Izzy played the intro to BOB. And he does not play on Civil War at all right?

Nope, Izzy doesn't play on Civil War, The Garden, Shotgun Blues or Locomotive. Those are the songs Slash doubled up on rhythm for on the record with the exception of Shotgun Blues as Axl played the left channel rhythm guitar on that. 

42 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Nope, Izzy doesn't play on Civil War, The Garden, Shotgun Blues or Locomotive. Those are the songs Slash doubled up on rhythm for on the record with the exception of Shotgun Blues as Axl played the left channel rhythm guitar on that. 

I find it weird he didn't play on CW but he did on Estranged. Like there's no rhyme or reason behind it

2 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Some of the UYI crediting is out of whack. There's a good possibility Izzy was involved with Locomotive since Slash jammed it out in Izzy's house iirc. 

Also, how does Izzy not play on CW but he plays the song live in Farm Aid when Illusions is being written/recorded. How does Adler have enough workable takes to make the album but not Izzy? Like someone else said, it's like there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Edited by RONIN

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm with you.  Izzy was singing along almost as loud here for the first verse anyway

3 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Loved the live versions from 93. Some brilliant guitar work from Slash and Gilby, check out Argentina 93....

Agreed.. I do love the Tokyo 92 versions but those 93 versions were beasts.   I think this is the first of the two Argentina 93 shows.. Slash incorporates a little "Oh Well" and "Train Kept A Rollin" into the intro.  Agree with most that it is a better live song than the album track..

This intro is shorter and two the punch but hits the mark in every way.. Top notch

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I find it weird he didn't play on CW but he did on Estranged. Like there's no rhyme or reason behind it

He was there when they recorded Estranged and his parts on it are great.

Civil War was recorded for a compilation album a long time before the Illusions sessions when Izzy was in Europe getting sober which is why Steven drums on it and Izzy isn't there. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth