#RipNetNeutrality

AxlRoseCDII

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

Not true. It's  not so much that they'll actively fuck the little guys over. What will most likely happen is that they will create a pricing structure for sites and the guys who can pay more get the best service. 

You mean for websites? 

Just now, Dazey said:

Yep. :)

Most "Little guys" use hosting services like Go Daddy, etc.  I would think Go Daddy would be able to negotiate faster service on behalf of their clients, no? 

IDK, would be pretty shitty if these ISP's try to do that...and the fact that a lot of small business owners are Republican....would really bite Republicans in the ass come election time.

I would recommend anyone less concerned about this change should read the book The Master Switch by Tim Wu.

It essentially chronicles the history of various telecommunication services and reveals what happens when government doesn't do its job and puts corporate profits over the public good.  

Killing net neutrality is akin to seeing the internet as a private commodity versus a public good.  It's not just a matter of how this affects price, but how one corporations can divert customers to its own content over that of its competitors.  There is a long history of communication companies throttling consumer choice and freedom from telephones to films to cable television.  It would be one thing if the industry was competitive with many players.  But take a look around, there aren't that many internet providers and the industry shows signs of increase concentration.  Whereas in the 90s anyone could start an ISP business, getting into that game nowadays is akin to starting a car company.  

This needs a legislative fix to resolve.  Leaving it up to the FCC seems like a unstable choice considering partisan control will switch many times over.  

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

What is it?  I mean in laymans terms, everytime i google it it brings up some long fuckin' thing.

Basically, service providers can choose which websites have faster speeds. For example, Comcast could block Netflix speeds on purpose and Verizon could slow down your access to the AT&T website and pay incredulous amounts of money for fast speeds on their own websites.

Imagine if every trucking company had to pay to build their own freeways.

This has been a pretty big topic (deservingly so) across a few message boards I've been on and the general consensus is that this could be an issue for 2 maybe 3 years....but eventually, competitors will begin to offer "unlimited no throttling " packages for about the same cost as our current services...once that happens, others will fall in suit in order to be competetive....5G may even speed up the process....

• 2 weeks later...

They want to control the internet the exact same way they control the rest of the media. The internet is the last place freelance journalism is existing today. I'm pretty sure they want to consolidate more control over online activity to control, monitor and censor, as well as banking off of fees. 

Thank Viacom.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 1:56 AM, Bassist4 said:

THIS ISNT A REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT THING ITS THE GOVERNMENT TRYING TO CONTROL US

Your awake. Thank you

On 12/15/2017 at 7:29 AM, Kasanova King said:

Oh it is.  Whether you agree with or not, for whatever reason....if this backfires and internet prices increase and services become worse, Republicans will be blamed.  

What amazes me is that Net Neutrality had bi-partisan support a few years ago....but this just goes to show that lobbies got involved, greased the right palms (Republicans).... to now make it a partisan issue.  If anyone has any doubt how much influence certain lobbies have in this country, this is pretty good evidence. 

It's called the blame game. Reps and Dems are two wings of the same bird.