Noel Gallagher Takes a Swipe at the GNR Reunion

36 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I don't care for Oasis music with the exception that I think Wonderwall is one of the best songs ever written.  I can't think of a single Guns song that comes close to it.

I'm a huge Oasis fan and Wonderwall is a song I never listen to lol. Don't Look Back In Anger is IMO what you just wrote. Estranged comes close to it though. Shared #1 maybe? But then there's also Stop Crying Your Heart out and SCOM.

@soon @Top-Hatted One the many people who don't get Oasis probably never listened to their albums in full. I prefer the deep cuts (just like GNR) such as Hung In A Bad Place, Headshrinker, Gas Panic, Round Are Way, The Masterplan, Columbia, Married With Children and the list just goes on forever..but I gotta say they did have very good singles too such as All Around The World, Lyla, Go Let It Out. Oasis and GNR are just 2 of the best rock bands to ever come out. If you're a GNR fan and never heard these songs I suggest you check them.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm a huge Oasis fan and Wonderwall is a song I never listen to lol. Don't Look Back In Anger is IMO what you just wrote. Estranged comes close to it though. Shared #1 maybe? But then there's also Stop Crying Your Heart out and SCOM.

The many people who don't get Oasis probably never listened to their albums in full. I prefer the deep cuts (just like GNR) such as Hung In A Bad Place, Headshrinker, Gas Panic, Round Are Way, The Masterplan, Columbia, Married With Children and the list just goes on forever..but I gotta say they did have very good singles too such as All Around The World, Lyla, Go Let It Out. Oasis and GNR are just 2 of the best rock bands to ever come out.

Totally agree. Gas Panic is incredibly underrated. AFD & Definitely Maybe share the rawness & hunger of a band desperate to make it and yet full of arrogance/belief in their ability. Both epics. Two of the very best debut albums ever.

Columbia, Live Forever & Bring it on Down are right up there with anything on AFD.

At times, Noel's head is firmly wedged up his own arse - although much is tongue in cheek and his dry humour is lost on many. He's still hilarious for the most part, but epically hypocritical at times. Time and money does change people.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The many people who don't get Oasis probably never listened to their albums in full. I prefer the deep cuts (just like GNR) such as Hung In A Bad Place, Headshrinker, Gas Panic, Round Are Way, The Masterplan, Columbia, Married With Children and the list just goes on forever..but I gotta say they did have very good singles too such as All Around The World, Lyla, Go Let It Out. Oasis and GNR are just 2 of the best rock bands to ever come out.

Like I said, Oasis definitely had it. Same as GNR - reckless, era defining, monumental. But somehow they never achieved the GNR height of uniqueness. If you look at progression of It's So Easy - SCOM - COMA - November Rain - Civil War - Breakdown - Estranged ... you get the idea... Needles to say, I adore Oasis but they remained stuck in the Britpop era. I am not saying their music ages - not at all - but it certainly isn't as fresh and time-defying as GNR's. I can associate Oasis to the 90's, AFD to a lesser extent, but Illusions? They are levitating in the air - just a masterpiece! Undefineable! 

On another note - to be brutally honest - Oasis had only two GREAT albums (first two) and Masterplan (since it's a compilation many don't count it). The other are highly generic. Same as GNR - but GNR definitely overshadow Oasis' achievements.

And... speaking of Axl's voice ability.... phhh... Liam doesn't come even close. Same with Slash>Noel. 

Of course you can add to the argument the popularity and touring success where GNR blows them out of the water...

Thanks for the interview. I enjoyed it, as well as the linked Liam one (" But I do find them a bit Queen-y.” :lol:)

To me it's the opposite of what Noel says about playing in stadiums. I think it's more undignifying for young bands that have some artistic merit and/or edge in their music. Stadium shows are too massive, too impersonal and rely on loudness (also I personally resent music being performed in places made for sports events). In this sense, they are more suitable for bands that are past their creative prime and offer pure entertainment (or for bands that have always been like that, e.g. Kiss).

Having said that, I'd love an Oasis reunion.

44 minutes ago, soon said:

I never understood the UK sub culture "baggy" or is it "baggies?"  Whats that all about and were Oasis 'baggy?'

I think it was a label invented by the music press for bands of the "Manchester scene" in the late 80s which combined rock/pop elements with the club dance subculture (The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Charlatans etc.) because they wore baggy clothes. I guess it was considered a more inclusive term, since not all bands with those musical elements/looks were from Manchester.

I don't think Oasis fall in that category, as they led the next wave of British bands that were labeled as Britpop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scooby845 said:

What's the Story (Morning Glory) is tons better than Definitely Maybe.... Don't you think so?

I don't :D It's amazing but just lacks something that Definitely Maybe has.

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Id love an Oasis reunion but I saw Noel in a small theater years ago and it was excellent. Guess Im content with that

You should see Liam on his tour too. He's doing different Oasis stuff than Noel (Supersonic, Slide Away, Morning Glory, RnR Star, Some Might Say, Be Here Now...) and he kinda got his voice back. His shows are much louder and more rnr than Noel's

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

First time I heard (was it either) Dont Look Back In Anger or Champaign Supernova on the radio, I turned it on mid guitar solo.  I was so starved for new Guns music that I thought it was definitely Slash and that I was hearing a new Guns single.  I like those two tracks but not too many others.  Love his attitude and sense of humour though and I think thats all thats going on here.  Maybe even whip up some press for the forthcoming Oasis reunion tour?

I never understood the UK sub culture "baggy" or is it "baggies?"  Whats that all about and were Oasis 'baggy?'

"Definityle maybe" is british humour? Maybe? 😑😒

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

The sheer outrage on the Facebook groups as a result of this is frankly hilarious.

Actual grown adults managing to be wound up by Noel.

Gnr fans?i see this as brit humour, not sure,just Noel know...😒

It's just the way Noel is. I don't think he was intentionally having a dig, nor do I think he was trying to wind anyone up. 

If you ever listen to him on any topic, it's just him. 

It can grate you, but once you see it enough times you just realise that's him. Some of the stuff he's said about Liam over the years lol he has no filter. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

Noel is a well known gobshite yet they're working themselves into a shoot.

Yes,he is very sarcastic, not all know .

1 hour ago, Tadsy said:

It's just the way Noel is. I don't think he was intentionally having a dig, nor do I think he was trying to wind anyone up. 

If you ever listen to him on any topic, it's just him. 

It can grate you, but once you see it enough times you just realise that's him. Some of the stuff he's said about Liam over the years lol he has no filter. 

Agree

I think I read somewhere that either Owen Morris or McGee or Mark Coyle made Noel cut the solo in Live Forever because he thought it sounded a bit too Slash.... 

From 94-96 that band released 2 brilliant albums, the singles had B sides better than most bands albums and they were killer live. Seeing them live on Both tours and in between we're amazing gigs. Epic indoors and outdoors. 

(Better than Guns in Slane '92) 😕

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If gnr fans are irate about this they're idiots. Noel (or the other one) once said, quoting from memory, ''the rolling stones only ever released two decent albums''. This is Gallagher comedy. We should all be accustomed to it by now. 

And yet they praise The Verve all the time...