Noel Gallagher Takes a Swipe at the GNR Reunion

That's barely taking a swipe at them. The problem nowadays is that when a famous person says something about another band or artist, it immediately makes headlines at some dubious news websites. Same thing kept happening to Billy Corgan. He's never been very diplomatic and always gives his opinion on other artists, but it immediately goes viral... so now he has decided to not say anything about other artists anymore because he is tired of all the backlash he gets through social media every time he gives his opinion.

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

It’s more undignified to choose to be a support act in your 50s because that’s the only way you can still play in the stadiums you secretly miss but it’s all bantz.

Out of likes, spot on👍

43 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

Nobody would talk about him and his new music if he doesn't throw sh*t toward other artists

Yes,agreed👍

• Like 1

If Noel (or Liam for that matter) wanted to ever play in stadia again, all he has to do is reunite and he'd be immediately back at Wembley or the Olympic Stadium again. That tour would be infinitely bigger than Guns N' Roses. I am taking him at his word then when he states he is content with smaller venues. 

32 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

anyone who calls playing to 50k fans night in and night out undignified comes off as being jealous whether they really are or not. keep playing your 500 fan amphitheatres buddy lol i mean you didnt see axl bashing U2 when he was playing bowling alleys did you?

He is actually playing much larger venues: the 02 London (20,000), the Hydro Glasgow (13,000) and Manchester Arena (21,000), etc. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If Noel (or Liam for that matter) wanted to ever play in stadia again, all he has to do is reunite and he'd be immediately back at Wembley or the Olympic Stadium again. That tour would be infinitely bigger than Guns N' Roses. I am taking him at his word then when he states he is content with smaller venues. 

But only in the UK, not worldwide

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You know I always wondered why your opinion differed from the rest of the forum all the time, but now I get it... It's all just a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense... You had your moments - the reasoning that has its worth... but this?

You serious? Seriously? GNR is about to overtake Stones and Coldplay on the highest grossing tour next year and earn that No.2 position. Who knows - maybe even U2. 

And now you're telling me that Oasis would be infinitely  bigger than Guns N' Roses? Hahaha... Who you kidding mate? Oasis even in their heyday only could sell out stadiums in England or UK. All overseas dates were half sold out arenas. So you're telling me that they would overtake U2 by being infinitely  bigger than GNR?

Lol....

Get a grip with reality... you're losing it.

My advice? More fresh air... Perhaps even a GNR concert or two...

1 hour ago, scooby845 said:

You know I always wondered why your opinion differed from the rest of the forum all the time, but now I get it... It's all just a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense... You had your moments - the reasoning that has its worth... but this?

You serious? Seriously? GNR is about to overtake Stones and Coldplay on the highest grossing tour next year and earn that No.2 position. Who knows - maybe even U2. 

And now you're telling me that Oasis would be infinitely  bigger than Guns N' Roses? Hahaha... Who you kidding mate? Oasis even in their heyday only could sell out stadiums in England or UK. All overseas dates were half sold out arenas. So you're telling me that they would overtake U2 by being infinitely  bigger than GNR?

Lol....

Get a grip with reality... you're losing it.

My advice? More fresh air... Perhaps even a GNR concert or two...

Doesn't invalidate my point that a Gallagher reunite would inevitable propel Noel back to stadia, thus his decision to not play in stadia is either one of choice, as stated in the interview, or because his relationship with Liam is beyond repair - not because of some weakening of commercial standing. Robert Plant, refusing to reunite with Zeppelin, finds stadium ''greatest hits'' rock crass also so Noel is not the only one possessing this viewpoint.

Oasis would have Wembley Stadium, Slane Castle (huge in Ireland) etc etc handed to them on a plate if they ever reunited - the amount of money needn't be mentioned.

Also, Noel is playing arena in the United Kingdom/Ireland as a solo artist, not Oasis. A fair comparison can only be made between Noel and the High Flying Birds with Slash and Duff's solo careers, not Guns N' Roses. You also underrate Oasis's international clout; they were actually quite big in South America and continental Europe.

PS

I'm not actually much of a fan of Oasis but the lack of objectivity and temper tantrums here whenever someone else from the music world actually dares to criticise Guns N' Roses is childish in the extreme.

• Like 1

I can't believe I came to this site today and discovered a thread actually comparing GN'R to a britsh pop band from the 90's. I mean, seriously? Might as well compare GN'R to Barbra Streisand. It would have just as much merit.

I worked in a music store during the 90's and the second I heard Oasis, I never wanted to hear them again. Unfortunately, there was young girl that used to include it in her playlist all the time so I was subjected to it ad nauseam. Just not my cup of tea at all. But totally different type of music than GN'R. And regardless whether you enjoy it or not, it didn't come close to making the same impact on the world music scene as GN'R/AXL/SLASH. Laughable comparison. And that Noel dude is delusional. At least his brother has some good sense. Its no wonder they don't get along.

I wouldn't even compare Oasis to fellow british band Def Leppard, who accomplished a lot more.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2

Oasis were bigger in Britain and Ireland than GN'R were. They were at the forefront of an entire musical movement (Britpop) - them and Blur. They were ubiquitous in the 1990s.  

PS

I'm saying this as an objective witness as I was never their biggest fan myself, although I do like them. My favourite Gallagher will always be Rory. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

Helene Fischer and Dieter Bohlen both sold more records in Germany than Guns. 

Nobody outside of Germany knows who the fuck they are. 

Oasis had a big impact in the UK and in Europe. Maybe a Oasis reunion would be more successful than a GNR reunion in the UK and in Ireland. I doubt they were bigger for the rest of the world.

That said... what Noel said about GNR is clearly his humor and I wouldn't take it that seriously. But I have no reasons to not believing him when he says he don't want to tour stadiums at this point of his life.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2017 at 3:22 PM, username said:

Fucks sake people, lighten up. Learn how to Gallagher.

Pretty much this....it's more than obvious his remarks were off the cuff...basically just trying to sound like a hard ass like he's always done.  

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oasis were bigger in Britain and Ireland than GN'R were. They were at the forefront of an entire musical movement (Britpop) - them and Blur. They were ubiquitous in the 1990s.  

PS

I'm saying this as an objective witness as I was never their biggest fan myself, although I do like them. My favourite Gallagher will always be Rory. 

I grew up in Ireland and saw oasis on the definitely maybe & morning glory tours, and they were massive. 250,000 people shows. Massive stadium gigs, multiple sold out arena shows. 

But that was mostly Irish/English gigs only. Much as I loved them Oasis were never the global phenomenon that Guns was. 

I do think if they reunited in the next year or two, it might be better timing than GNRs reunion, I know there were lots of factors with Guns, but it would have been a better sounding reunion in 2006 than it is 10 years later. 

If you lived it, it was a fucking great time during those britpop years. The last Hurrah for rock n roll....

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I grew up in Ireland and saw oasis on the definitely maybe & morning glory tours, and they were massive. 250,000 people shows. Massive stadium gigs, multiple sold out arena shows. 

But that was mostly Irish/English gigs only. Much as I loved them Oasis were never the global phenomenon that Guns was. 

I do think if they reunited in the next year or two, it might be better timing than GNRs reunion, I know there were lots of factors with Guns, but it would have been a better sounding reunion in 2006 than it is 10 years later. 

If you lived it, it was a fucking great time during those britpop years. The last Hurrah for rock n roll....

This is true. When the terroist bombing at ariana's gig in Manchester this year happened, how many people were asking for GNR to play in the city as part of the fundraiser?., The ONE band those in the UK wanted was for Noel and Liam to get Oasis back together. That was how much the band meant to people who lived and remembered the britpop movement. Oasis was extremely popular than GNR in the UK in the 90's but overseas not as much. They were very popular in Australia as well.

1.Damaged (Primal Scream) VS Don't look back in anger 2.High-Heel Sneakers (T.Tucker) VS Get Off Your High-Horse Lady 3.Feel The Pain (Real People) VS Don't Go Away 4.The Turning VS Devil Woman (Cliff Richard) VS The Turning (Alternative) 5.Get It On (T.Rex, Marc Bolan) VS Cigarettes & Alcohol 6.Hello Hello I'm Back Again (Gary Glitter) VS Hello 7.I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (New Seekers) VS Shakermaker 8.Je So' Pazzo (Pino Daniele) VS The Death Of You And Me VS Summer In The City (Lovin' Spoonful) 9.Clean Prophet (The La's) VS The Importance Of Being Idle 10.This Guy's In Love With You (Burt Bacharach) VS Half The World Away 11.How Sweet To Be An Idiot (Neil Innes) VS Whatever 12.Five To One (The Doors) VS Waiting For The Rapture 13.Tomorrow Never Knows (Beatles) VS Falling Down 14.My Sweet Lord (George Harrison) VS The Hindu Times 15.Same Size Feet (Stereophonics) VS The Hindu Times 16.Little Miss Lover (Jimi Hendrix) VS Fucking In The Bushes 17.Heart Of Gold (Neil Young) VS The Girl In The Dirty Shirt 18.Nightclubbing (Iggy Pop) VS Force Of Nature 19.My Sweet Lord (George Harrison) VS Supersonic 20.With A Little Help From My Friends (Beatles) VS She's Electric 21.Imagine (John Lennon) VS Don't Look Back In Anger 22.Carry That Weight (Beatles) VS Don't Look Back In Anger 23.Uptight - Everything's Alright (Stevie Wonder) VS Step Out 24.Freedom (Wham) VS Fade Away 25.Homesick (The Cure) VS Wonderwall

Oasis/Noel one of the biggest rip-off artists of all time. Really don't like these kind of bands that have zero own material, and do nothing but steal from other artists..

Edited by ruttu69
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, ruttu69 said:

1.Damaged (Primal Scream) VS Don't look back in anger 2.High-Heel Sneakers (T.Tucker) VS Get Off Your High-Horse Lady 3.Feel The Pain (Real People) VS Don't Go Away 4.The Turning VS Devil Woman (Cliff Richard) VS The Turning (Alternative) 5.Get It On (T.Rex, Marc Bolan) VS Cigarettes & Alcohol 6.Hello Hello I'm Back Again (Gary Glitter) VS Hello 7.I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (New Seekers) VS Shakermaker 8.Je So' Pazzo (Pino Daniele) VS The Death Of You And Me VS Summer In The City (Lovin' Spoonful) 9.Clean Prophet (The La's) VS The Importance Of Being Idle 10.This Guy's In Love With You (Burt Bacharach) VS Half The World Away 11.How Sweet To Be An Idiot (Neil Innes) VS Whatever 12.Five To One (The Doors) VS Waiting For The Rapture 13.Tomorrow Never Knows (Beatles) VS Falling Down 14.My Sweet Lord (George Harrison) VS The Hindu Times 15.Same Size Feet (Stereophonics) VS The Hindu Times 16.Little Miss Lover (Jimi Hendrix) VS Fucking In The Bushes 17.Heart Of Gold (Neil Young) VS The Girl In The Dirty Shirt 18.Nightclubbing (Iggy Pop) VS Force Of Nature 19.My Sweet Lord (George Harrison) VS Supersonic 20.With A Little Help From My Friends (Beatles) VS She's Electric 21.Imagine (John Lennon) VS Don't Look Back In Anger 22.Carry That Weight (Beatles) VS Don't Look Back In Anger 23.Uptight - Everything's Alright (Stevie Wonder) VS Step Out 24.Freedom (Wham) VS Fade Away 25.Homesick (The Cure) VS Wonderwall

Oasis/Noel one of the biggest rip-off artists of all time. Really don't like these kind of bands that have zero own material, and do nothing but steal from other artists..

Cool..but I will still listen to Led Zeppelin and other bands who have knowingly ripped off and have no less enjoyment from the songs than if they completely came up with them in their own heads. I'm basically the opposite of you, it simply makes no difference to me. If it bothers you and takes your enjoyment ouf of great songs..it just frankly sucks to be you, theres no other way to put it. Like with covers, I don't care that GNR didn't KOHD, to me all that counts is what I hear, that's what music is for, if they originally didnt write it that doesn't make a difference to me at all. Still gonna enjoy Whole Lotta Love, Stairway etc. even though they were clearly copied no less.

my 2 cents

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2