Noel Gallagher Takes a Swipe at the GNR Reunion

https://amp.businessinsider.com/best-selling-music-artists-of-all-time-2016-9

Queen and Def Leppard are on the list, but no Oasis.

It's actually quite an accomplishment how much GN'R has sold considering that most the artists above or below them have released a lot more material. Quality wins out over quantity.

BTW, Merry Xmas to everyone. Always enjoy reading and discussing things with you guys.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

Oasis is the most overrated band that ever existed, I hated that garbage and those fake poseur songs like "Champagne Supernova" that came out in the mid 90's, Oasis is just hype nonsense, GNR were an actual talented band and they did not need the "side-stage" antics to get them in the headlines. though the side stage antics in GNR were real, while with Oasis it was just garbage to keep them in the headlines, without the side stage antics Oasis would be nothing while GNR would still be on of the best bands of all time

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thunderram said:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/best-selling-music-artists-of-all-time-2016-9

Queen and Def Leppard are on the list, but no Oasis.

It's actually quite an accomplishment how much GN'R has sold considering that most the artists above or below them have released a lot more material. Quality wins out over quantity.

BTW, Merry Xmas to everyone. Always enjoy reading and discussing things with you guys.

Merry Christmas!

This list is based on US sales only though. I think it's already been pointed out that Oasis weren't so popular in NA, but were huge in Europe. A UK or all European list would be a lot different and probably half of these artists/bands wouldn't be in it. Van Halen, for example, were very big and influential in America, but never had an impact in Europe.

Also why compare Oasis to Def Leppard? They are both British bands but have nothing else in common (different genre, different time).

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Merry Christmas!

This list is based on US sales only though. I think it's already been pointed out that Oasis weren't so popular in NA, but were huge in Europe. A UK or all European list would be a lot different and probably half of these artists/bands wouldn't be in it. Van Halen, for example, were very big and influential in America, but never had an impact in Europe.

Also why compare Oasis to Def Leppard? They are both British bands but have nothing else in common (different genre, different time).

Oasis=😪😪😪

• Haha 1

I also don't understand the point of comparing GnR and Oasis in terms of sales. Yes, GnR is one of the bands that have managed to be popular and make an impact worldwide more or less, but that doesn't change the fact that an Oasis reunion would sell stadiums in certain places.

Edited by Blackstar
typo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I also don't understand the point of comparing GnR and Oasis in terms of sales. Yes, GnR is one of the bands that have managed to be popular and make an impact worldwide more or less, but that doesn't change the fact that an Oasis reunion would sell stadiums in certain places.

This began when someone stated that an Oasis reunion would be infinitely bigger than GNR's one.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2017 at 5:33 PM, Blackstar said:

I agree. That was exactly my point in comparing them to GNR. But at least Def Leppard is another U.K. band and a pop rock based one at that. Not a great comparison, but a better one than GNR.

Edited by thunderram

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Merry Christmas!

This list is based on US sales only though. I think it's already been pointed out that Oasis weren't so popular in NA, but were huge in Europe. A UK or all European list would be a lot different and probably half of these artists/bands wouldn't be in it. 

My bad, I actually didn't catch that it was US based only. I thought it was worldwide. Reading is fundamental.

• Like 1

On 24.12.2017 at 5:43 PM, DieselDaisy said:

If Noel (or Liam for that matter) wanted to ever play in stadia again, all he has to do is reunite and he'd be immediately back at Wembley or the Olympic Stadium again. That tour would be infinitely bigger than Guns N' Roses. I am taking him at his word then when he states he is content with smaller venues. 

BS. Outside the UK nobody gives a shit about them and the stadiums they could play on their own are sparse to non existant.

• Like 1

On 24.12.2017 at 11:53 PM, Sunset Boulevard said:

Americans will never understand how fucking HUGE Oasis were in Europe in the 90’s : They sold more records than Mickael Jackson here! 

And also that is BS. They were huge in hype. In the early to mid 90's spilled over from the UK through MTV, which was still broadcast from London, but to say they were huge in all of Europe is a gross overstatement. Also to say that they outsold Michael. The majority of their success was in the UK.

On 12/25/2017 at 12:43 AM, DieselDaisy said:

If Noel (or Liam for that matter) wanted to ever play in stadia again, all he has to do is reunite and he'd be immediately back at Wembley or the Olympic Stadium again. That tour would be infinitely bigger than Guns N' Roses. I am taking him at his word then when he states he is content with smaller venues. 

Jeez the Planet of the Apes laughing man hasn't made an appearance at your tour comment yet?. If there was residency between both bands at Wembley and the Olympic Stadium Oasis would probably be able to milk it for longer though.

Edited by Silverburst80

17 hours ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

GnR forum "every time anyone" says something positive about Axl and or GnR.....

didwejustbecomebestfriends.gif?w=300&h=1

GnR forum "every time anyone" says something negitive about Axl or GnR....

I-hate-you.gif

Sure as the fucking.......

giphy.gif

Yep. But the key reason for that is that the banner at the top of the site, as well as the URL, is specific to GNR. ;) Odds are most people are here because they actually love the band a lot. :headbang:

You'll never find me at an Oasis site. People there might be awesome, but I'd never know it cause I wouldn't bother to go there in the first place.

Edited by thunderram

On 26-12-2017 at 11:38 AM, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

GnR forum "every time anyone" says something positive about Axl and or GnR.....

didwejustbecomebestfriends.gif?w=300&h=1

GnR forum "every time anyone" says something negitive about Axl or GnR....

I-hate-you.gif

Are you kidding me? I've never been on a band's forum where people are so negative about the band. You should visit some other band's forum, their fans worship the shit out of the band, while the people here are often criticizing GnR, and rightfully so, but it's not like people here are positive about everything GnR related.

• Like 4

I stopped following Oasis after Definitely Maybe and What's the Story Morning Glory, did they ever do anything on par with those albums again? My impression was that Oasis was a UK phenomenon - not a global one. 

Liam and Noel (especially Liam) are clearly fans of the redhead based on past interviews. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

In the UK, an Oasis reunion would definitely be a bigger deal than GN'R. Worldwide, obviously not.

Is this because the GnR reunion came 12-15 years too late or is Oasis just a bigger band in the UK in general? 

On 12/25/2017 at 7:24 AM, Sydney Fan said:

When the terroist bombing at ariana's gig in Manchester this year happened, how many people were asking for GNR to play in the city as part of the fundraiser?

What?

That's a daft comparison. Manchester is Oasis's hometown, its where their biggest fan base and support is. The people of Manchester wanted "their" band back, in that time of sorrow. Why on earth would they be clamouring for GnR to play?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Is this because the GnR reunion came 12-15 years too late or is Oasis just a bigger band in the UK in general? 

They're just bigger in the UK in general really. Oasis were like The Beatles and Stones rolled into one for an entire generation in the UK, they were fucking HUGE throughout the 90's-mid 00's, playing the likes of Knebworth etc. No one could touch them. If they reunited they would sell out stadiums up and down the UK and Ireland in an instant. GN'R are massive in the UK don't get me wrong but Oasis is a different kind of thing.

• Like 1

As far as how fast a show would sell out for a one-off - the list would be Take That (w Robbie), Oasis, One Direction, even though that split was still recent. 

I'm on the fence as far as a Smiths or Cocteau Twins reunion. Kate Bush could easily sell Wembley Stadium out, but she'd never play a venue that big. Cliff Richard or Elton John doing a final concert at Wembley would also sell out in seconds. 

Now if you threw in Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Genesis (Peter Gabriel & Steve Hackett included) for a one-off, servers would crash worldwide. 

3 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

As far as how fast a show would sell out for a one-off - the list would be Take That (w Robbie), Oasis, One Direction, even though that split was still recent. 

I'm on the fence as far as a Smiths or Cocteau Twins reunion. Kate Bush could easily sell Wembley Stadium out, but she'd never play a venue that big. Cliff Richard or Elton John doing a final concert at Wembley would also sell out in seconds. 

Now if you threw in Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Genesis (Peter Gabriel & Steve Hackett included) for a one-off, servers would crash worldwide. 

I'm not from the UK, but I think a Smiths reunion would be equally huge as an Oasis one.

Cocteau Twins? That's a surprise. I wouldn't think of them being considered in a discussion like this.

• Like 1