Gardening

Gracii Guns

Here we go.  The creek project is starting the first, second week of October and is scheduled to be done in 30 days.  They are moving our cement amendment bins but will put them back.  They are mostly empty so no big deal.  They only plants I need to save are my canna bulbs and my stashed containers I have over there.  Our monarch waystation is going to get ground into the dirt but Judy is going to dig out a few plants she wants to save.  The rest may come back.  If not we get those for free from the monarch people and they are easily replaced.  Hopefully they are gone by then.  I'm arranging for a monarch rescue of any cocoons on the plants.

Went to the meeting tonight.  I once again have the gardens fully staffed!  One of the 3 sections I'm giving up, I got one taker and it's the one that needs the most attention.  Pretty sure I'm keeping around the greenhouse.  She just kept saying you take care of all of this. :lol:

Edited by cineater

15 hours ago, cineater said:

I'm looking at other gardens to see what I want to do in the Butterfly garden.  I'll send you a picture of what it looks like today and what I'm going for from another garden.  But I'm also looking at my beds.  They could use some work but they do stand out.  They really are not much trouble.  I may just stop talking about they need a new lead. :lol:

I'm sick of scraping.  Just going to knock off the lose shit, run the block sander over it and paint it.  I'm going for the weathered look. :lol:  Give it a name and it works.

I know people's first reaction to a new idea is no.  It's out there.  I'll just let it settle, maybe it with present itself again.

I did plant my new hydrangea bushes and put cages around them so they don't get stomped on if Brian does the fence.  Five years from now they may be something.

Simone did go to the vet this morning.  Vet reports she looks good but they gave her another shot to make sure it goes away.  And Paul has changed his mind and we are doing cider.  I had just booked that day with my mother.

The butterfly garden is bigger than I was picturing. I like the look you are going for! Youve got your work cut out for you!

A "weathered look." That works :lol: Its like how my cooking is "Rustic." lol

Im jealous that you are still gardening. lol

I hope thats the end of this issue for Simone! DId Lily go into hiding at the sight of the travel case again?

13 hours ago, cineater said:

Here we go.  The creek project is starting the first, second week of October and is scheduled to be done in 30 days.  They are moving our cement amendment bins but will put them back.  They are mostly empty so no big deal.  They only plants I need to save are my canna bulbs and my stashed containers I have over there.  Our monarch waystation is going to get ground into the dirt but Judy is going to dig out a few plants she wants to save.  The rest may come back.  If not we get those for free from the monarch people and they are easily replaced.  Hopefully they are gone by then.  I'm arranging for a monarch rescue of any cocoons on the plants.

Went to the meeting tonight.  I once again have the gardens fully staffed!  One of the 3 sections I'm giving up, I got one taker and it's the one that needs the most attention.  Pretty sure I'm keeping around the greenhouse.  She just kept saying you take care of all of this. :lol:

Thats great news that the creek project is going down! Tell me more about this monarch stuff? Whats a monarch waystation? You can reattach the cocoons elsewhere?

Fully staffed! :headbang: So you stayed on as lead? Or is that one of the things you gave up?

A monarch waystation is a garden of plants, mostly milkweed, that monarchs like to eat in all stages of their life.

I am currently the lead over all the gardens, the lead over the miniature garden and lead on two sides of the building.  About six beds depending on how you count them.

Lily was making this really weird noise and running around the house crying.  Freaked me out.  And then she puked on the carpet and she was fine.  Was never so happen to have a cat puke on my carpet. :lol:

1 hour ago, cineater said:

A monarch waystation is a garden of plants, mostly milkweed, that monarchs like to eat in all stages of their life.

I am currently the lead over all the gardens, the lead over the miniature garden and lead on two sides of the building.  About six beds depending on how you count them.

Lily was making this really weird noise and running around the house crying.  Freaked me out.  And then she puked on the carpet and she was fine.  Was never so happen to have a cat puke on my carpet. :lol:

Cool - a waystation! I want to make one!

Youve still got a very full plate!!

Lily, no! I hope she just needed something she ate to get out. Yikes cat puke on the carpet though! Lol

i think I’m starting to get there with upping my solar game. The beginner rigs are all DC power and USB. Meaning they can’t power most appliances that plug into our AC sockets. That’s what I have now.

But I’m settling in on some options with inverters to get AC currents to appropriate wattage. I need the simple “plug and play” designs to start. So I can afford an AC rig that can run 7 hours at full charge. I could power my daisy chain of grow lights! Or switch between my computer, stereo and tv as needed for the day! Or have one charge power all my kitchen gadgets for well over a week - maybe even a month of use!!

yay!!

Are you working on your butterfly shaped garden?

You're going to need all that solar power if you decide to homestead someday.

We were rescuing the Monarch Waystation.  Six of us showed up and we got all the plants out.  Sent you a picture of the group being stored behind the greenhouse.  Hopefully we can get them back in the ground before the freeze.

Did I mention this?  Oh yeah, that's mine!

American_Beauty_Tshirt_1_800x.jpg?v=1599

50 minutes ago, cineater said:

You're going to need all that solar power if you decide to homestead someday.

We were rescuing the Monarch Waystation.  Six of us showed up and we got all the plants out.  Sent you a picture of the group being stored behind the greenhouse.  Hopefully we can get them back in the ground before the freeze.

Did I mention this?  Oh yeah, that's mine!

American_Beauty_Tshirt_1_800x.jpg?v=1599

Love the shirt!! Vintage look. Is that the one you pre ordered - I thought that other one looked different, for some reason?

I sure hope to get to homestead, off grid, one day! Power an electric car and everything! Turns out its really fun building a sustainable future :headbang:

Nice, glad you got the waystation seen too!

The climbing beans have strangled the echanecea. Actually the beans are so tangled into everything that I think all the garden might come out with one strong pull! :lol:

Damn I vacuumed up the little frog.  He lived.  I also almost scraped him to.  The scraping is done!  I'll start painting tomorrow.  Worked my ass off today.  I'm filthy and pretty sure I stink. :lol:

That's a new shirt I ordered last night.  Treating myself.  Love the stone wash on that shirt.

Saved many of the purple cones today.  That bed is going to end up a little relocated.  After the heavy machinery drives over it we have have to get the heavy duty auger to drill the holes to replant.

Since Susan has moved to her folks I don't hear from her all day long.

Let me just have this chuckle for the moment.

The Republican next door keeps telling me covid will go away after the election.  He calls me tonight all freaked out.  He's being sent home from work because of contact tracing and has to quarantine for two weeks.  Just got real!

Don't hate on him because he's republican.  Nice guy, follows politics closely and I respect his opinion although I don't always agree.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, cineater said:

Damn I vacuumed up the little frog.  He lived.  I also almost scraped him to.  The scraping is done!  I'll start painting tomorrow.  Worked my ass off today.  I'm filthy and pretty sure I stink. :lol:

That's a new shirt I ordered last night.  Treating myself.  Love the stone wash on that shirt.

Saved many of the purple cones today.  That bed is going to end up a little relocated.  After the heavy machinery drives over it we have have to get the heavy duty auger to drill the holes to replant.

Since Susan has moved to her folks I don't hear from her all day long.

No more scraping! Yay! You need to turn the pressure washer onto yourself after all that work :lol:

Well deserved treat - I like the stone wash too!

Planting with an auger is so bad ass!!

Have you talked to Susan at all? How are things?

12 hours ago, cineater said:

Let me just have this chuckle for the moment.

The Republican next door keeps telling me covid will go away after the election.  He calls me tonight all freaked out.  He's being sent home from work because of contact tracing and has to quarantine for two weeks.  Just got real!

Don't hate on him because he's republican.  Nice guy, follows politics closely and I respect his opinion although I don't always agree.

HAHAHA! Well... I mean you dont hear too many non-republicans saying the virus will just go away after the election! :lol:

Is he gonna be calling you to visit him at his window? lol

My buddys out picking up my package from the post office - I think its my new cowboy hat!! Too bad its early fall, but Im still gonna wear it... even inside lol

Send me a picture of that hat!

We're all pretty sure the guy lied about getting exposed to get off his job.  Boeing panics at exposure and sends everybody home for two weeks.  He was only around the guy for 10 minutes and didn't even talk to him.

We are getting wind gusts today.  Think I can still paint.  I'm anxious to get started but my other garden club has a meeting I have to go to first this morning.  I'm looking at all my bushes and thinking they need to come down at least by half.  Remind me this winter I want to do that.  I think we are going to get Caleb's plants tomorrow.  I don't think he wants any of these native flowers I've been collecting for him.  I'll just put them in my side project.

46 minutes ago, cineater said:

Send me a picture of that hat!

We're all pretty sure the guy lied about getting exposed to get off his job.  Boeing panics at exposure and sends everybody home for two weeks.  He was only around the guy for 10 minutes and didn't even talk to him.

We are getting wind gusts today.  Think I can still paint.  I'm anxious to get started but my other garden club has a meeting I have to go to first this morning.  I'm looking at all my bushes and thinking they need to come down at least by half.  Remind me this winter I want to do that.  I think we are going to get Caleb's plants tomorrow.  I don't think he wants any of these native flowers I've been collecting for him.  I'll just put them in my side project.

I will - cant wait!!

It takes less then 10 minutes to catch the virus. You stay away from him, Cin!! :) 

Caleb isnt going with any natives? tisk tisk.

Hope your garden club meeting is fun!

Never heard of the pods with liquid inside.

Not sure if I like that garden club.  The one girl has all these weird projects on sustainability she wants to do.  She was hurt when I started not liking these compost containers you have in your house.  She wants to sell them.  Not another fucking kitchen gadget nobody uses! I'm looking at their gold star memorial planting and thinking that looks like shit.  Offered up some plants but the girl in charge wants to do it by seed.

I am a slob painter. :lol:  I had paint all over my equipment, my arms and in my hair.  The stand looks good but I need a second coat in some spots.  I'll finish it up tomorrow.  Not sure if I will do the back fence this year but I should.  Maybe next weekend.

Mike hasn't went for his test yet.

When I brought in this spider plant it was healthy.  Look up tonight and it's yellow everywhere.  Put it in the sink for a good soaking.  Come back and there are ants all over the sink.  I check my hanging baskets for bird nests, never think they will have bugs.  It's back outside on the grass.  I'm soaking the soil so the ants will crawl out.  They were carrying eggs so it must be a big nest.

Edited by cineater

14 hours ago, cineater said:

Never heard of the pods with liquid inside.

I had it wrong, they are green and have a silk inside. I think they are the seed pods. Not sure if its on all types of milk weed. (Id been confusing them with those things that grow in ponds with the fury brown pods looking like corn dogs on top). A farmer here sells pickled milk pods and also a sticky bbq sauce 'hot wings' milk pods.

Not sure if I like that garden club.  The one girl has all these weird projects on sustainability she wants to do.  She was hurt when I started not liking these compost containers you have in your house.  She wants to sell them.  Not another fucking kitchen gadget nobody uses! I'm looking at their gold star memorial planting and thinking that looks like shit.  Offered up some plants but the girl in charge wants to do it by seed.

Im sorry to hear this. Since youd enjoyed you get togethers with a few of them I thought you were likeing it more.

My worm farm will be a compost container in my house. What composting is she talking about?

I am a slob painter. :lol:  I had paint all over my equipment, my arms and in my hair.  The stand looks good but I need a second coat in some spots.  I'll finish it up tomorrow.  Not sure if I will do the back fence this year but I should.  Maybe next weekend.

Were you in the picture you sent, but I couldnt see you because you were painted too?? :lol:

Its looking so good!

When I brought in this spider plant it was healthy.  Look up tonight and it's yellow everywhere.  Put it in the sink for a good soaking.  Come back and there are ants all over the sink.  I check my hanging baskets for bird nests, never think they will have bugs.  It's back outside on the grass.  I'm soaking the soil so the ants will crawl out.  They were carrying eggs so it must be a big nest.

Im having de ja vu and Im pretty sure you made fun of me for not soaking my potted plants when I brought them in! lol

But youve got so much going on lately.

Glad you caught them!

Sent you a pic of my new cowboy hat! Was wearing it while in pajamas last night :lol:

• Haha 1

I like your hat.  And yes I was telling you to soak those outside containers before coming in.  So far the rest of them haven't given me any trouble.

Have to get back on the painting.  We are getting the kids' plants today and I'll probably hanging around for putting them in.  And I have to go over and let my friend's dogs out a couple times a day.  They are running up to Iowa to dig some plants out of their dead friend's yard before the house is sold.  A little memory thing.

I should mention the worm farm to her.  I think what she is talking about is just a fancy coffee can for collecting kitchen waste to take out to the compost bin.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

I like your hat.  And yes I was telling you to soak those outside containers before coming in.  So far the rest of them haven't given me any trouble.

Have to get back on the painting.  We are getting the kids' plants today and I'll probably hanging around for putting them in.  And I have to go over and let my friend's dogs out a couple times a day.  They are running up to Iowa to dig some plants out of their dead friend's yard before the house is sold.  A little memory thing.

I should mention the worm farm to her.  I think what she is talking about is just a fancy coffee can for collecting kitchen waste to take out to the compost bin.

Thanks, Im happy with it too!

I hope you have a nice day with the kids. Thats neat your friend will have those plant memorials.

I hope worm farms will become a common household item. People should remember that the worms can be used for fishing as well!

Ive got a tracking number for my Orta! Its already in the country!

7 hours ago, cineater said:

That's great!

Done painting.  The second coat always goes faster.  Just as I was getting ready to paint the shelf Lily jumped to the top of the stand. :lol:  We'll see if I have cat paw prints on my paint job.

Haha, Lily! Paw prints could be a cool look! :lol:

Im not feeling well, so Ive just been snoozing. But now Im starting some bread and baking chocolate chip cookies.

How was plant shopping?

No cat paw prints but Lily's black whiskers on one side of her face are white. :lol:

We got the plants and some cool ones too.  All planted up except we have to wait for the River Birch to come in.  Got a hydrangea tree, so cool.  He got his Japanese Maple.  Couple of Azaleas.  A couple of these variegated bushes that have red stems that is all you see of them in the winter.  A couple of other bushes that I can't remember the name of.  The color scheme is whites and pinks.  he didn't think it was too girly.  AND, wait for it, he got mulch!  Still says he'll get rock someday but he wants the money for a fence now.

One more day of kicking my own ass.  I got to mom's tomorrow to work on her yard.

Rain is just about here.  We need it bad.    

10 hours ago, cineater said:

No cat paw prints but Lily's black whiskers on one side of her face are white. :lol:

I love it! :lol: I was morning called with a swoft bite in the armpit again this morning :lol:

We got the plants and some cool ones too.  All planted up except we have to wait for the River Birch to come in.  Got a hydrangea tree, so cool.  He got his Japanese Maple.  Couple of Azaleas.  A couple of these variegated bushes that have red stems that is all you see of them in the winter.  A couple of other bushes that I can't remember the name of.  The color scheme is whites and pinks.  he didn't think it was too girly.  AND, wait for it, he got mulch!  Still says he'll get rock someday but he wants the money for a fence now.

Nice. A hydrangea tree?! Very cool! Those red stems sound neat for some colour in the winter. Uh... yeah thats girly. Whos the flower boy now? :lol: Yay mulch!

One more day of kicking my own ass.  I got to mom's tomorrow to work on her yard.

Your a good daughter. When will we find you some rest though!?

Rain is just about here.  We need it bad.    

Better late than never.

Im concerned that the remainder of my beans in the garden are stalled out. But thats nothing compared to the tomato focoused majority. Many are still tiny and green. Seem to be stalled too, with this cold weather.

Soon, Beaker and I (err rather, shortly, Beaker and I :lol:) Will have our microgreens going, worm farm, and the ability to power the grow lights with solar.

Okay, not enough hours in the day.  Change of plans.  Went to Paul's to cut up the apples.  We didn't have to cut!  Just threw them in the grinder and they were mush.  Tomorrow they are going to press them into juice but I'm going to mom's.

Soon, I'm send you some planter pictures.  Can't remember if I did that last night.

Taking my coleus cuttings now and then back to the kids for mulching.

2 hours ago, cineater said:

Okay, not enough hours in the day.  Change of plans.  Went to Paul's to cut up the apples.  We didn't have to cut!  Just threw them in the grinder and they were mush.  Tomorrow they are going to press them into juice but I'm going to mom's.

Soon, I'm send you some planter pictures.  Can't remember if I did that last night.

Taking my coleus cuttings now and then back to the kids for mulching.

Those apple juicing machines look so cool! Did he make those?! Makes easy work.

Thanks for sending the planter pics - you hadn’t yet. Looking really sharp! I like the design. They have a nice place, too. 

Im still sick and I can’t even remember if I went to the garden on my walk! Oh dear! :lol:

Have fun!!