Gardening

Gracii Guns

35 minutes ago, cineater said:

It all went well and the floral decorations were nice.  All the grandma's made it so that was cool.  The families all went over to see what Caleb had done in the yard.  Except me, lol.  I've seen it.  I gushed all over Caleb to his family.  I'm stuffed with cheese cake!

Awesome! Thats great about the grammas! Sounds really nice!

Did Karen like the necklace? Or maybe she didnt open gifts there?

You get to eat as much cheese cake as you wish at your daugthers bridal shower :headbang::lol:. My pie has yet to arrive :( lol

Im really happy that the shower went so well! What were the floral decorations?

She picked out the necklace last year.  Jewelry is such a personal thing.  Best they pick it out themselves.  They had the chest I got her sitting out with a line through the cancelled covid date.  And we used the wedding cake server engraved with the old date.   Baby's breath for the floral bouquets, the fake floral was ivy and some kind of pink flower.  The balloons and paper products had the same design themed.  And then there were dream catchers.  All very Karen.  The room was big enough for some decent social distancing.

Our former neighbor texted at the last minute she was sick.  The one whose son committed suicide.  I'm sure this causing her emotional turmoil.  I hope she can make the wedding.

Hot here today.  I'm ready for rain and cooler weather.

I have grass!  Went up to check a spot I seeded at the garden and it's up about 2 inches.

Edited by cineater

14 hours ago, cineater said:

She picked out the necklace last year.  Jewelry is such a personal thing.  Best they pick it out themselves.  They had the chest I got her sitting out with a line through the cancelled covid date.  And we used the wedding cake server engraved with the old date.   Baby's breath for the floral bouquets, the fake floral was ivy and some kind of pink flower.  The balloons and paper products had the same design themed.  And then there were dream catchers.  All very Karen.  The room was big enough for some decent social distancing.

Oh thats right, I'd forgotten. Good idea to pick her own jewelry. Wow - it sounds really well put together! beautiful! And social distancing! I love it! Im really happy for you both!

Our former neighbor texted at the last minute she was sick.  The one whose son committed suicide.  I'm sure this causing her emotional turmoil.  I hope she can make the wedding.

Thats too bad. Im sure youre right. I hope she can make the wedding too.

Hot here today.  I'm ready for rain and cooler weather.

We were technically really cold yesterday, but it was also the perfect fall day so it didnt feel too bad. You would have loved it by the sounds of it.

I have grass!  Went up to check a spot I seeded at the garden and it's up about 2 inches.

Yay!! :dance:

Theres more beans ready to be harvested. I feel so utterly disconnected from my garden.

Wow, fall came in today.  A strong wind blew through, the leaves came down and the temperature dropped big time.

Nicce garden meeting with Justin, the person who is responsible for us.  Did a lot to calm us down and reassure us it's all that other guy and he has no authority over us.  Now our only worry is if the Extension will get operating money from the county and all that other stuff we should be worried about.

I'm on garden break too.  Nothing to do until the first killing frost comes in and indoor gardening hasn't taken off.

45 minutes ago, cineater said:

Wow, fall came in today.  A strong wind blew through, the leaves came down and the temperature dropped big time.

Nicce garden meeting with Justin, the person who is responsible for us.  Did a lot to calm us down and reassure us it's all that other guy and he has no authority over us.  Now our only worry is if the Extension will get operating money from the county and all that other stuff we should be worried about.

I'm on garden break too.  Nothing to do until the first killing frost comes in and indoor gardening hasn't taken off.

Amazing how fast fall can appear. Time for sweaters!

Thats great about your meeting with Justin. But yeah, lots more to get figured out.

I managed to harvest all my beans but I still wasnt 'connected' even while there.

My microgreens germinated at such different rates, that I left the lower level in when I harvested earlier, and I got a second flush!

30 minutes ago, soon said:

Got some notebooks with built in rulers for making zentangles :headbang:

Interesting.  I swear I can not draw a circle for the life of me. :lol:

That's good you are getting a second batch on the microgreens.  I sent you a link for a class on natives for Wednesday night.  It's open to the public as far as I know.

14 minutes ago, cineater said:

Interesting.  I swear I can not draw a circle for the life of me. :lol:

That's good you are getting a second batch on the microgreens.  I sent you a link for a class on natives for Wednesday night.  It's open to the public as far as I know.

I should get a protractor too! :lol:

Thanks for link - singing up now!!

meant to ask, I imagine that your pounder flower card was the first Karen saw of that? She must have loved it!

22 minutes ago, soon said:

I should get a protractor too! :lol:

Thanks for link - singing up now!!

meant to ask, I imagine that your pounder flower card was the first Karen saw of that? She must have loved it!

Mine was the first gift open and she did like the card.  People strained to look at the necklace and I think Caleb's family was impressed.

Kevin didn't say anything about the tree.  I called Craig tonight and told him to take it down (when Kevin is not around).

Edited by cineater
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cineater said:

Mine was the first gift open and she did like the card.  People strained to look at the necklace and I think Caleb's family was impressed.

Thats great, Cin! Im so happy :headbang:

Im sure everyone liked Calebs shutters too.

Its already pitch black here!

54 minutes ago, soon said:

Thats great, Cin! Im so happy :headbang:

Im sure everyone liked Calebs shutters too.

Its already pitch black here!

I know, I look out and it's black out there.  The plants outside get until Wednesday when they have to come in for good.  Hopefully tomorrow I get to finish planting all the plants I have in containers for the side project. 

We may be looking at putting the monarch waystation in a different location after construction.  If so, all that has to be approved and would put us past time to get them in the ground.  We may just bury them in some non planted berms Marsha has to protect the roots while they are in their pots over winter.

They did like his shutters and the yard

19 minutes ago, cineater said:

I know, I look out and it's black out there.  The plants outside get until Wednesday when they have to come in for good.  Hopefully tomorrow I get to finish planting all the plants I have in containers for the side project. 

We may be looking at putting the monarch waystation in a different location after construction.  If so, all that has to be approved and would put us past time to get them in the ground.  We may just bury them in some non planted berms Marsha has to protect the roots while they are in their pots over winter.

They did like his shutters and the yard

Tonight here would be perfect for your patio.

Pretty much an end to this season. I cant imagine how awesome 2021 is gonna be lol

Thats a neat idea for overwintering the waystation.

Beaker loves gardening and he loves scissors, so microgreens are suiting him just fine!

1 hour ago, soon said:

Tonight here would be perfect for your patio.

Pretty much an end to this season. I cant imagine how awesome 2021 is gonna be lol

Thats a neat idea for overwintering the waystation.

Beaker loves gardening and he loves scissors, so microgreens are suiting him just fine!

Don't get those whiskers!

Lots to look forward to next year.  But lots still to do this year.  I need to get out there and put up the Halloween lights.  Do you decorate for that?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, cineater said:

Don't get those whiskers!

Lots to look forward to next year.  But lots still to do this year.  I need to get out there and put up the Halloween lights.  Do you decorate for that?

Hes bound to lose one or two, haha

They've finally started issuing tickets to those not wearing masks on public transpo. So maybe Ill be able to have lots to garden next year.

Oh thats fun! You know, most years my place is naturally halloween decorated, err fall decorated at least. Filled with corn and drying herbs, baskets of peppers, squash, etc. But I dont decorate outside here since no on comes here. And I dont really ever decorate inside for anything. I guess one decoration is that I usually swap out a hanging tapestry for a quilt this time of year.

What decorations did you do??

I just have orange lights, skeleton flamingos and a doormat.

Sent you a Simone picture.  I'm so use to a plant being there I didn't realize it was her until she moved.  The New England Asters are in bloom, lots of purple clusters around here.  And my Montauk Daisies are blooming.  Really need to get them a new home with some more sun.

30 minutes ago, cineater said:

I just have orange lights, skeleton flamingos and a doormat.

Sent you a Simone picture.  I'm so use to a plant being there I didn't realize it was her until she moved.  The New England Asters are in bloom, lots of purple clusters around here.  And my Montauk Daisies are blooming.  Really need to get them a new home with some more sun.

Skeleton flamingos?? :wow: You have flamingos for every occasion? lol. Sounds cool!

HA, Simone! I definitely wouldnt have seen her. Shes so perfect she could be made as a decoration!

Sorry I missed the pics from the bridal shower. Oh my, the 3 generations picture!! Infectious smiles! Your daughter is stunning - Caleb is a lucky man. The room looks incredible too :headbang:Im so happy for you all! Was it sad when you were there at all, or mostly when wrapping the gift? You look so proud and happy in the pic!! Thank you for sharing.

Your flowers sound awesome. I have half a borage and a few more cones.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Skeleton flamingos?? :wow: You have flamingos for every occasion? lol. Sounds cool!

HA, Simone! I definitely wouldnt have seen her. Shes so perfect she could be made as a decoration!

Sorry I missed the pics from the bridal shower. Oh my, the 3 generations picture!! Infectious smiles! Your daughter is stunning - Caleb is a lucky man. The room looks incredible too :headbang:Im so happy for you all! Was it sad when you were there at all, or mostly when wrapping the gift? You look so proud and happy in the pic!! Thank you for sharing.

Your flowers sound awesome. I have half a borage and a few more cones.

No, not sad.  More in working this party mode.  First time I met Caleb's family.  I like them.  His mother wasn't there due to covid exposure concerns so the drama risk was gone.  Her family didn't even know where she was.  They have very little contact with her.  Caleb came in at the end.  They are a cute couple in how they interact.

Hey, I have some of the pink asters.  We don't have many of them at the gardens.

30 minutes ago, cineater said:

No, not sad.  More in working this party mode.  First time I met Caleb's family.  I like them.  His mother wasn't there due to covid exposure concerns so the drama risk was gone.  Her family didn't even know where she was.  They have very little contact with her.  Caleb came in at the end.  They are a cute couple in how they interact.

Hey, I have some of the pink asters.  We don't have many of them at the gardens.

That’s great you got to meet Caleb’s family and that you like them! Such a relief about his mom.

Oh those two :) 

Yay pink asters!

Is Mike’s decorations up?

1 hour ago, soon said:

That’s great you got to meet Caleb’s family and that you like them! Such a relief about his mom.

Oh those two :) 

Yay pink asters!

Is Mike’s decorations up?

Mike doesn't decorate for Halloween but we have the firepit on his driveway.

Glad you signed up for class.  Think of your natives as your pollinators.  You can have some.  I'm taking DJ to see a yard that uses natives in a formal setting tonight.  Her look is more wild but you gaining something from everything you see.  Did I mention she is turning her whole yard into clover?  Probably should have killed all that bermuda grass first.  Between the two of those I'm not sure who will win the battle in taking over.

41 minutes ago, cineater said:

Mike doesn't decorate for Halloween but we have the firepit on his driveway.

Glad you signed up for class.  Think of your natives as your pollinators.  You can have some.  I'm taking DJ to see a yard that uses natives in a formal setting tonight.  Her look is more wild but you gaining something from everything you see.  Did I mention she is turning her whole yard into clover?  Probably should have killed all that bermuda grass first.  Between the two of those I'm not sure who will win the battle in taking over.

Who is it working along your shared property line, digging a weed ditch or something? Thought you said that person took a break to set up their halloween stuff? Fire pit sounds fun!

Im looking forward to growing way more natives next year! This will help, even though I need to look up the ones for here. I dont think Ive seen too many formal designs using natives - sounds very cool! Clover is awesome! You two are really going for this!

Battle royale: bermuda grass v clover :lol:

That's Brian on the other side of me and he is putting up the haunted house.  The cable company still hasn't come out to remove the cable box that nobody uses anymore and is in the way.  It's been marked for a while now.

Damn it, the group we are donating a pile of wood too cancelled their pick up tomorrow.  Alex has been after us for two months to get rid of it.  I had a whole work crew set up to deal with that tomorrow.

DJ didn't really like the yard thank god.  It's really for a park type setting.  It has a big rock waterfall and a dry creek bed that runs through it.  All professionally installed and very costly.  Way more trees and shrubs, very little in the way of flowers.  DJ wants more of a meadow around her place.  She does have a third of an acre in woods but she just had all the undergrowth cleaned out and it looks so much nicer.  We may put some shrubs in there for under story color but may just leave it open too.

Natives are tricky.  They can look like a weed patch real quick.  It's best to use a limited number of types of plants in one area.  Keep them in small groupings and then repeat that grouping with a little variation a good space away from the other one if you are covering large areas.  Break them up with some hardscape or an overpowering plant.  Natives need a lot of pruning to dress them up and keep them where you want them.

12 hours ago, cineater said:

That's Brian on the other side of me and he is putting up the haunted house.  The cable company still hasn't come out to remove the cable box that nobody uses anymore and is in the way.  It's been marked for a while now.

Brian - thats right! Brian should just burn the cable box :lol:

Damn it, the group we are donating a pile of wood too cancelled their pick up tomorrow.  Alex has been after us for two months to get rid of it.  I had a whole work crew set up to deal with that tomorrow.

That sucks! Especailly when youre hooking them up.

DJ didn't really like the yard thank god.  It's really for a park type setting.  It has a big rock waterfall and a dry creek bed that runs through it.  All professionally installed and very costly.  Way more trees and shrubs, very little in the way of flowers.  DJ wants more of a meadow around her place.  She does have a third of an acre in woods but she just had all the undergrowth cleaned out and it looks so much nicer.  We may put some shrubs in there for under story color but may just leave it open too.

Natives are tricky.  They can look like a weed patch real quick.  It's best to use a limited number of types of plants in one area.  Keep them in small groupings and then repeat that grouping with a little variation a good space away from the other one if you are covering large areas.  Break them up with some hardscape or an overpowering plant.  Natives need a lot of pruning to dress them up and keep them where you want them.

Youre so good at design, Cin. You communicate it so well that you make is sound easy! Very helpful tips for design and upkeep!

Her yard is gonna be awesome! :headbang:

Worm farm is on tracking now!!!!!! Okay time to get serious about my indoor garden. Im very pleased with this whole deal - I feed my worms with my food scraps. I feed my plants with my worm poop. I eat my plants. Start over. Hopefully have castings, tea and seedlings available for sale this spring.

Im loving the orta. And to get to wear I dont need to buy greens, I would need like at least 10. Possibly far more. So that would be an investment to say the least!

Oh cool, I've been looking forward to your worm farm.

Sent you a picture of the cuttings from the Joseph Coat.  Hopefully I can get half of them to live.  Kept one plant in case I want to do more cuttings.  I left them at the greenhouse for the moment but they will have to come home with me.  I'll be in trouble if all 72 of them live. :lol:

Little more on that certification:  The Extension property is the first institutional landscape in St. Charles County to receive certification. AND you are 1 of only 29 properties to receive PLATINUM certification, out of 1,400 enrolled landscapes since the program started in 2012.

Nooo, I just been through email chains from hell.  And they just kept adding more people in.  :lol:  I can't answer one without another one coming in that hasn't seen my reply.

Edited by cineater

I forgot about class and was 15 minutes late!  Sorry you missed it.

Ran out of shampoo but I'm trying to avoid going to the store, grabbed an open bottle that had been in the spare bathroom and put it in my shower.  Because glasses are totally useless in the shower, I don't notice it's a bottle of conditioner until I've already put it in my hair.  That makes a mess.  Drip my way over to the closet to grab a second bottle, also don't realize it's conditioner until it's on my hair.  I have a slimy mess.  This will not take me down or rinse out!  Drip my ass back out to the closet and dig around until I find what I know for sure is my travel shampoo.  It was, thank you, but now I have puddles of water all over the floor.  :lol:  Not the relaxing shower I was going for.

Edited by cineater
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, cineater said:

I forgot about class and was 15 minutes late!  Sorry you missed it.

Ran out of shampoo but I'm trying to avoid going to the store, grabbed an open bottle that had been in the spare bathroom and put it in my shower.  Because glasses are totally useless in the shower, I don't notice it's a bottle of conditioner until I've already put it in my hair.  That makes a mess.  Drip my way over to the closet to grab a second bottle, also don't realize it's conditioner until it's on my hair.  I have a slimy mess.  This will not take me down or rinse out!  Drip my ass back out to the closet and dig around until I find what I know for sure is my travel shampoo.  It was, thank you, but now I have puddles of water all over the floor.  :lol:  Not the relaxing shower I was going for.

HAHAHAHAHA! Man, I needed that laugh! Thank you! :rofl-lol:

The second bottle of conditioner is just too much!! :lol: What are the odds?!? lol

I hope to hear back promptly, to be sure you havent slipped in the puddles! You should just use those Dude Wipes to be on the safe side :lol:

Well, at least you wont have any split ends! lol

I hate that I missed class. Sorry for last minute cancellation. Id been so looking forward to it, hope we can do another one soon?

Did you make it for class? Was it good?