Gardening

Gracii Guns

17 hours ago, cineater said:

You are not getting out of it that easy, you are a gardener!  Try again.

I wasn't impressed with the high tech cleaning stuff or the associated cost.  I like my battery powered toothbrush the best.  The oral surgeon wants a consult first and he can't do that until the third week in November.

I got my biggest bed down.  I found another exit hole the groundhog had made in the back of the bed.  It's hot out there today.  Don't think we will take the shade cloth off the greenhouse today.  Marsha's husband is having car trouble and she went to work with a headache.

I'll salvage what I can and start over.

I mostly use a battery powered toothbrush too, but I guess youve tried those whitening things with the blue light? I hope you tooth wont give you too much grief until then!

Its kinda neat to think that when you do a transplant, that just below the whole you dig is a chubby lil ground hog just doing its thing. :lol:

14 hours ago, cineater said:

We did manage to get the shade cloth off the greenhouse.  Marsha was feeling better.

Nice. Marshas not retired?

My dill germinated!!

Marsha works part time at Macy's.  She's too young to retire.  Tomorrow we clean up the greenhouse.  All the tables have to come out and get bleach watered.  Any spilled dirt gets vacuumed up and the whole place gets straighten up.  It's a big job and involves a bunch of people.

Somebody recommended pickled dilled green beans.  Thought that might be something you would like.

We got hot yesterday.  The temperature is going to drop big time today after lunch and rain some more.  The creek project got one day of work this week and they haven't been back.  If that little bit of rain stopped work, this is going to take forever.

Waiting on the heating guy.  Hoping it's an easy fix and not a replace the thing.

26 minutes ago, cineater said:

Marsha works part time at Macy's.  She's too young to retire.  Tomorrow we clean up the greenhouse.  All the tables have to come out and get bleach watered.  Any spilled dirt gets vacuumed up and the whole place gets straighten up.  It's a big job and involves a bunch of people.

Somebody recommended pickled dilled green beans.  Thought that might be something you would like.

We got hot yesterday.  The temperature is going to drop big time today after lunch and rain some more.  The creek project got one day of work this week and they haven't been back.  If that little bit of rain stopped work, this is going to take forever.

Waiting on the heating guy.  Hoping it's an easy fix and not a replace the thing.

Sounds like a huge job to get the greenhouse cleaned up! And I imagine you’re still having limited numbers in at a time?

Dill pickled green beans does sound great! Thanks

Im glad you have hot weather when your heaters not working. Makes you wonder about these construction workers sometimes, doesn’t it? Lol

1 hour ago, soon said:

Sounds like a huge job to get the greenhouse cleaned up! And I imagine you’re still having limited numbers in at a time?

Dill pickled green beans does sound great! Thanks

Im glad you have hot weather when your heaters not working. Makes you wonder about these construction workers sometimes, doesn’t it? Lol

The repair guy got it working but he says it's running hot and may stop working any day.  He said with the price Craig is giving me he would pull the trigger and do it.  I have to say Craig's price is far less that what I was expecting.  I don't have to sell pot. :lol:  So I'm getting a new AC and heater.  My repair guy says Craig does good work.

We are still limited on numbers to work on the greenhouse.  Will is coming which I don't think is good as he's a transplant person.  But it's up to him to judge his risk.

52 minutes ago, cineater said:

The repair guy got it working but he says it's running hot and may stop working any day.  He said with the price Craig is giving me he would pull the trigger and do it.  I have to say Craig's price is far less that what I was expecting.  I don't have to sell pot. :lol:  So I'm getting a new AC and heater.  My repair guy says Craig does good work.

We are still limited on numbers to work on the greenhouse.  Will is coming which I don't think is good as he's a transplant person.  But it's up to him to judge his risk.

Good news about not having to sell pot! :lol: Im glad you are getting a good price.

I hope its safe for everyone. I literally have no plan to put my garden down, lol. But those snow storms are creeping closer and closer from the north.

33 minutes ago, soon said:

Good news about not having to sell pot! :lol: Im glad you are getting a good price.

I hope its safe for everyone. I literally have no plan to put my garden down, lol. But those snow storms are creeping closer and closer from the north.

How much snow do you normally get? 

My sister in Michigan is digging up all her bulbs for the winter.  What she does to winterize her garden is far more then I would ever want too.  I mow it down and throw leaf mulch on it. :lol:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cineater said:

How much snow do you normally get? 

My sister in Michigan is digging up all her bulbs for the winter.  What she does to winterize her garden is far more then I would ever want too.  I mow it down and throw leaf mulch on it. :lol:

We usually have snow on the ground nonstop from December-March. By February there could be nearly 3ft of snow accumulated. This year its possible snow arrives earlier. Sometimes we get a dusting of snow in October, other times Im still gardening non-hardy plants in October.

I havent heard of people diggin up bulbs for winter here. We usually plant them in late fall. BUt maybe I only know some plants like tulips.

Your method is sound. And Im jealous! :lol:

1 hour ago, soon said:

We usually have snow on the ground nonstop from December-March. By February there could be nearly 3ft of snow accumulated. This year its possible snow arrives earlier. Sometimes we get a dusting of snow in October, other times Im still gardening non-hardy plants in October.

I havent heard of people diggin up bulbs for winter here. We usually plant them in late fall. BUt maybe I only know some plants like tulips.

Your method is sound. And Im jealous! :lol:

I'm a lazy gardener. :lol:

I have to bring the potheads home tomorrow.  They took down the cold frames where I use to over winter them.  I don't want the clay pots to get wet, freeze and crack.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cineater said:

I'm a lazy gardener. :lol:

I have to bring the potheads home tomorrow.  They took down the cold frames where I use to over winter them.  I don't want the clay pots to get wet, freeze and crack.

Working smart, not hard isn’t laziness. You’re a very active gardener!

Homeless pot heads whom we don’t want to turn to crack. :lol:

At least the few mustard micros I got were more flavourful.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, cineater said:

I made the right decision there.  The heater started coding again.  I can start it manually but it's done.   Put a positive spin on it, at least it went out now instead of the dead of winter or middle of a heat wave in the summer.

Crackheads.  :lol:

Ahhh, love it :lol:

Yeah, at least its during moderate weather.

It weird, as much as Im very removed from gardening, the fall leaves and weather makes me want to ferment veggies!

3 hours ago, soon said:

Ahhh, love it :lol:

Yeah, at least its during moderate weather.

It weird, as much as Im very removed from gardening, the fall leaves and weather makes me want to ferment veggies!

My cuttings aren't doing well.  The leaves are dying but I think some of them took root and a few might be getting new leaves.  The stems look strong.

13 hours ago, cineater said:

My cuttings aren't doing well.  The leaves are dying but I think some of them took root and a few might be getting new leaves.  The stems look strong.

Oh that sucks. Maybe Im just bad luck for your plants too! I hope most will pull through.

I got a touch of mold last round so now I need to clean it well... which it wouldnt have required yet otherwise. Fun times. Oh, and Beaker took down half of my dill seedlings :facepalm::lol:

This Dead true crime podcast is strangely compelling.

Oh and I forgot to mention. Yesterday at the garden, I come across a guy with his shirt off, using our hose to have a bath in one of the beds! :lol: And not just any bed, my grumpy gossipy friend. I text her. She gets back all like "Oh thats fine. I think he lives behind the shed."

Okay, so the women who had a problem with me simply because I had a health issue sees the guy contaminating her soil in a much better light than she does me! :lol: Its got back to me that she talks a strip about all aspects of 'me' - but the man from behind the shed can do no wrong?!?! :rofl-lol: Lord love a duck! :lol:

Edited by soon

At least she finds you interesting.  :lol:  I hope he's not planning on living there all winter.

Sent you pictures of the greenhouse clean up.  It only took 3 hours with 8 people.  Everything gets wiped down and sprayed with bleach water.  The tables come out for cleaning and so we can get to the floor.  The wind wasn't blowing so it wasn't seriously cold.  You end up putting your hands in the water buckets because the groundwater is still warm and it warms up your hands.

The heater kept running during the night.  Just a few more days.  Craig says it will take him two days to do all the work.

52 minutes ago, cineater said:

At least she finds you interesting.  :lol:  I hope he's not planning on living there all winter.

Sent you pictures of the greenhouse clean up.  It only took 3 hours with 8 people.  Everything gets wiped down and sprayed with bleach water.  The tables come out for cleaning and so we can get to the floor.  The wind wasn't blowing so it wasn't seriously cold.  You end up putting your hands in the water buckets because the groundwater is still warm and it warms up your hands.

The heater kept running during the night.  Just a few more days.  Craig says it will take him two days to do all the work.

Haha well thats something at least, isnt it! lol. I have seen other men sleeping there under soaking wet cotton blankets in the rain.

What a job! Those tables look heavy? Y'all worked fast! Sounds like its time for a hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Hope it makes it until its replaced!

My homemade hot sauce is tasting even better by the day!

1 hour ago, soon said:

Haha well thats something at least, isnt it! lol. I have seen other men sleeping there under soaking wet cotton blankets in the rain.

What a job! Those tables look heavy? Y'all worked fast! Sounds like its time for a hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Hope it makes it until its replaced!

My homemade hot sauce is tasting even better by the day!

I bet it is as the flavors get into it.

I hit big on the donations.  Got a bunch of new burlap bags and some nice bushel baskets.  Sent you a picture of what I did with those.  :lol:  Perfect to store the potheads in for over the winter.  Little carrying handles and everything. The baskets are in perfect shape, if only I was a crafty person.  I'm going to need to do some pothead repairs.

The tables are heavy.  We've begun replacing the wooden legs with fiberglass legs which makes them a lot lighter.  And while cleaning somebody broke a light bulb that has mercury in it.  Marsha ordered the greenhouse evacuated for 15 minutes.  No idea why we do that but I can take a coffee break.

50 minutes ago, cineater said:

I bet it is as the flavors get into it.

I hit big on the donations.  Got a bunch of new burlap bags and some nice bushel baskets.  Sent you a picture of what I did with those.  :lol:  Perfect to store the potheads in for over the winter.  Little carrying handles and everything. The baskets are in perfect shape, if only I was a crafty person.  I'm going to need to do some pothead repairs.

The tables are heavy.  We've begun replacing the wooden legs with fiberglass legs which makes them a lot lighter.  And while cleaning somebody broke a light bulb that has mercury in it.  Marsha ordered the greenhouse evacuated for 15 minutes.  No idea why we do that but I can take a coffee break.

Homes for Potheads! :lol: Id work for that charity! Cool that you got so many goodies. Looks like a hipster farm stand. I love your cat poster too! :headbang:

Mercury is bad, but I dont know how bad? Were you near it?

1 hour ago, soon said:

Homes for Potheads! :lol: Id work for that charity! Cool that you got so many goodies. Looks like a hipster farm stand. I love your cat poster too! :headbang:

Mercury is bad, but I dont know how bad? Were you near it?

Aren't those bushel baskets cute?  They can't get too wet, too often.  I have posters in my garage, lol.

I was almost out the back door when it happen.  I always get the hand washing.  Water barrels, tubs, trash cans, all the little shit.  I just toss it out the back door and take the hose to it.

Little boy is back.  He likes to lick his lips to tell me he's hungry.  He let me get in two pets.

Alex found out what we are up to.  We're taking all of our money out of his sight, lol.  He kept seeing what we had in our account with them and plotting ways to get some.  He's now saying if we do that, we can't use their tax exempt letter.  Oh yeah we can, other groups do it and we have a bunch of copies of that letter.  There's another umbrella we come under and we can always get our own tax exempt letter.  They still haven't issued the new rules.  My push back with asking them what's the support they have to give us and going over his head to get the Extension Council aware of what he's been pulling has to have him mad as hell.  I don't think there's going to be any more work on new, more restrictive rules coming down.  He's so pissed off, he doesn't even talk to Marsha and me any more.

13 hours ago, cineater said:

Aren't those bushel baskets cute?  They can't get too wet, too often.  I have posters in my garage, lol.

I was almost out the back door when it happen.  I always get the hand washing.  Water barrels, tubs, trash cans, all the little shit.  I just toss it out the back door and take the hose to it.

Little boy is back.  He likes to lick his lips to tell me he's hungry.  He let me get in two pets.

Alex found out what we are up to.  We're taking all of our money out of his sight, lol.  He kept seeing what we had in our account with them and plotting ways to get some.  He's now saying if we do that, we can't use their tax exempt letter.  Oh yeah we can, other groups do it and we have a bunch of copies of that letter.  There's another umbrella we come under and we can always get our own tax exempt letter.  They still haven't issued the new rules.  My push back with asking them what's the support they have to give us and going over his head to get the Extension Council aware of what he's been pulling has to have him mad as hell.  I don't think there's going to be any more work on new, more restrictive rules coming down.  He's so pissed off, he doesn't even talk to Marsha and me any more.

Theyre so cute! You are so much cooler than me! lol

Yay Little Boy! Thats amazing that he lets you pet him! You are the oposumn whisperer!

Take that Alex! Sounds like he didnt even know what hit him (so to speak)! Good job, you two :headbang:Fucking millennials :lol:

I have a large holy basil plant dried, hanging upside down in the grow room. I intend to put some in coffee everymorning. And every morning I forget about it until Ive had my coffee.

Never heard of basil in coffee.  Why?

Little Boy is a feral cat.  Not touching the opossum.  Wild things need to be afraid of people.  I had a raccoon stop by for water last night.  Lily had threw a fit, behind the glass door, with him.  He just just looked at her. :lol:

The heater has kept running all weekend.  We are raining most of next week.  Not sure when Craig will replace everything but one dry day would be nice.  Creek project is probably coming to a grinding halt.

I'm off today to take down the plants around the greenhouse.  Invited the compost guys to join me since they want to take down the lasagna bed.  They were planning on doing it tomorrow, 100 percent chance of rain guys. 

50 minutes ago, cineater said:

Never heard of basil in coffee.  Why?

Little Boy is a feral cat.  Not touching the opossum.  Wild things need to be afraid of people.  I had a raccoon stop by for water last night.  Lily had threw a fit, behind the glass door, with him.  He just just looked at her. :lol:

The heater has kept running all weekend.  We are raining most of next week.  Not sure when Craig will replace everything but one dry day would be nice.  Creek project is probably coming to a grinding halt.

I'm off today to take down the plants around the greenhouse.  Invited the compost guys to join me since they want to take down the lasagna bed.  They were planning on doing it tomorrow, 100 percent chance of rain guys. 

Yeah, Id nver heard of basil in coffee either :lol:. Its Holy Basil which tastes a bit like dark chocolate, dried fruits and berries. Reminded me of some types of coffee. Holy Basil is a nutrient dense plant, known as an adaptogen. When I ran out of ashwaganda I started using the basil. Its really tasty!

Ooooh, cat makes more sense! lol. Youve got such a crew! Haha, poor Lily that must have been frustrating for her!

I hope you get all the work done before the rain.

Well, I cant believe Im saying it but... Im ordering more kale seeds :lol:

And as much as I hate to do it, Im finally switching seed supplier. Im still pissed about the bush beans! I'm sure Ill find other ways to support them - like the seedling sale for sure.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Yeah, Id nver heard of basil in coffee either :lol:. Its Holy Basil which tastes a bit like dark chocolate, dried fruits and berries. Reminded me of some types of coffee. Holy Basil is a nutrient dense plant, known as an adaptogen. When I ran out of ashwaganda I started using the basil. Its really tasty!

Ooooh, cat makes more sense! lol. Youve got such a crew! Haha, poor Lily that must have been frustrating for her!

I hope you get all the work done before the rain.

Well, I cant believe Im saying it but... Im ordering more kale seeds :lol:

And as much as I hate to do it, Im finally switching seed supplier. Im still pissed about the bush beans! I'm sure Ill find other ways to support them - like the seedling sale for sure.

I rarely come back from the gardens smelling nice but today I smell like Thai basil.  That didn't take too long.  I got down a lot of stuff but I want to wait for the rest to die.  Only half of what you see in the to be composted pile was from me.  Sent you pictures.  All my celosia came down.  Like that plant for its colors but it does not take the cold well and was looking like shit.  I have a retaining wall and trellis that needs fixed.  Oh Craig. :lol: 

That's our amendment bins where we keep all the leaf mulch, soil and wood chips.  I was hoping they were going to take it all up and flatten down the area but they only have it halfway moved.  Looks like they are giving us white rock for the creek bank.

Everybody keeps saying the butterfly is a big bed.  Looks small to me compared to what I have been doing.

I rarely come back from the gardens smelling nice but today I smell like Thai basil.  That didn't take too long.  I got down a lot of stuff but I want to wait for the rest to die.  Only half of what you see in the to be composted pile was from me.  Sent you pictures.  All my celosia came down.  Like that plant for its colors but it does not take the cold well and was looking like shit.  I have a retaining wall and trellis that needs fixed.  Oh Craig. :lol: 

That's our amendment bins where we keep all the leaf mulch, soil and wood chips.  I was hoping they were going to take it all up and flatten down the area but they only have it halfway moved.  Looks like they are giving us white rock for the creek bank.

Everybody keeps saying the butterfly is a big bed.  Looks small to me compared to what I have been doing.

You and me are having a basil themed day! :lol: Thai basil is such a unique fragrance too.

Well "only half" of that compost bin is still a whole lot!! All those flowers! Celosia is the purple that almost resemblles a cone flower? Thanks for pics!

I love that you have such a huge operation that the amendment bins are formed by placing concrete highway dividers into a square!! :headbang:Oh white rocks will look nice too.

I'll go with medium size for the butterfly bed :lol: Its so cool that its right there as people park!! You are going to rock that next year!

3 hours ago, soon said:

You and me are having a basil themed day! :lol: Thai basil is such a unique fragrance too.

Well "only half" of that compost bin is still a whole lot!! All those flowers! Celosia is the purple that almost resemblles a cone flower? Thanks for pics!

I love that you have such a huge operation that the amendment bins are formed by placing concrete highway dividers into a square!! :headbang:Oh white rocks will look nice too.

I'll go with medium size for the butterfly bed :lol: Its so cool that its right there as people park!! You are going to rock that next year!

celosia-e1555101136568.jpg

That's celosia.  It looks very feathery.  It's part of the cockscomb family.  It gets really colorful.  It's an annual but reseeds well.  The stalks will even produce color.  Loves the sun and gets hit with the first cold snap.  It will be in the butterfly under the nano group.  They are smaller.

I've been working on the plant map for my west conference room bed.  Jan is taking it over next year.  I'm getting sentimental. :lol:  I've probably been taking care of that bed for 10 years.

You know what week it is?  That's right, Shakedown Stream on Friday!

celosia-e1555101136568.jpg

That's celosia.  It looks very feathery.  It's part of the cockscomb family.  It gets really colorful.  It's an annual but reseeds well.  The stalks will even produce color.  Loves the sun and gets hit with the first cold snap.  It will be in the butterfly under the nano group.  They are smaller.

I've been working on the plant map for my west conference room bed.  Jan is taking it over next year.  I'm getting sentimental. :lol:  I've probably been taking care of that bed for 10 years.

You know what week it is?  That's right, Shakedown Stream on Friday!

Oh cool, I like those. Nano refers to the smaller plants in a garden design?

:lol: That would be hard to give up a bed you've been taking care of for 10 years.

Shakedown Scream! :dance: