Gardening

Gracii Guns

11 minutes ago, cineater said:

It will be my house tomorrow with Craig installing the HVAC.  I may go pick up trash on the road my other garden club adopted.  There's nowhere to be in this house I won't be in Craig's way.  And working on the gas makes me nervous.

I have an invasive plants in your yard class tonight.

That’s great that the “2 day” installation will begin. And yes, if your house explodes, it’s best if only Graig blows up :lol:

Sounds like a great class! Enjoy!

4 hours ago, soon said:

That’s great that the “2 day” installation will begin. And yes, if your house explodes, it’s best if only Graig blows up :lol:

Sounds like a great class! Enjoy!

His truck is broke down so it may not be until Friday.

There's a wasp in my house making me crazy bouncing off of stuff.  I've opened the back door and turned on the porch light.  Hopefully he flies out!

Interesting thing about invasives is people brought them here.  Yes nature spreads them around but people do more of that then nature.  Class went a half hour over with no time for questions.

Yeah, it's not leaving.

10 hours ago, cineater said:

His truck is broke down so it may not be until Friday.

There's a wasp in my house making me crazy bouncing off of stuff.  I've opened the back door and turned on the porch light.  Hopefully he flies out!

Interesting thing about invasives is people brought them here.  Yes nature spreads them around but people do more of that then nature.  Class went a half hour over with no time for questions.

Yeah, it's not leaving.

Your wasp is like Trump, then :lol: Hopes its gone by now and you didnt take another sting!

Sounds like a great class. I knew that dandelions were brought here to be a food stuff. Shame that they were so successful in spreading but now barely anyone eats them. Great for making beer too!

Sucks for Craig about his truck! That must bring his work to a hault? Sucks for you too. You still warm weather there? We're supposed to have warm weather today.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Your wasp is like Trump, then :lol: Hopes its gone by now and you didnt take another sting!

Sounds like a great class. I knew that dandelions were brought here to be a food stuff. Shame that they were so successful in spreading but now barely anyone eats them. Great for making beer too!

Sucks for Craig about his truck! That must bring his work to a hault? Sucks for you too. You still warm weather there? We're supposed to have warm weather today.

Still warm here.  We drop Monday.  He might borrow his sister's truck to drop his work trailer here or he might just replace his fuel pump on his driveway and then come over.  Either way, I'm heading out to pick up trash on the road.

He didn't really do invasives in your yard.  It covered more the plants out there in the wild.

20 minutes ago, cineater said:

Still warm here.  We drop Monday.  He might borrow his sister's truck to drop his work trailer here or he might just replace his fuel pump on his driveway and then come over.  Either way, I'm heading out to pick up trash on the road.

He didn't really do invasives in your yard.  It covered more the plants out there in the wild.

What a hassle for you both.

Oh, I never think of there being too many invasives in the wild. Thats neat. Does invasive in the wild always equate to it being a problem?

4 hours ago, soon said:

What a hassle for you both.

Oh, I never think of there being too many invasives in the wild. Thats neat. Does invasive in the wild always equate to it being a problem?

Big problem because they take over and choke out the native plants.  They can bring in bugs and diseases that can harm the local environment.  They may not have natural killers that keep them in check.  Our bugs may not find a use for them.

Remember Susan?  The place she would have went to vote had a poll worker test positive for covid, still go work and has now died.  https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/st-charles-county-poll-worker-covid19/63-3cce71e9-41eb-44a9-a143-10568339c71c

2 hours ago, cineater said:

Big problem because they take over and choke out the native plants.  They can bring in bugs and diseases that can harm the local environment.  They may not have natural killers that keep them in check.  Our bugs may not find a use for them.

Remember Susan?  The place she would have went to vote had a poll worker test positive for covid, still go work and has now died.  https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/st-charles-county-poll-worker-covid19/63-3cce71e9-41eb-44a9-a143-10568339c71c

Oh right. Never would have thought about if no bugs want at them all the problems that could come.

Benny has struck again! :nervous::wow:

1 hour ago, cineater said:

I did get the trash picked up.  Took me two hours.  Found a frying pan. :lol:

Stopped by to talk with leslie's team.  Helped her to move these big rocks.  I hear her say drop and my hand is in the way.  Saved by my ring but it cut into my finger!

A frying pan? :lol:

Oh no, Cin! I'm glad it wasn't worse, but that's really disconcerting!

My timer has decided to work again!! I just cooked a large batch of two ground beef sauces. Meh. Off my coking game as bad as my gardening game. But my bread is turning out better each time!

This weekend I begin 'project way more shelving' which will begin in the grow room. Ive got a new larger solar fan, I think I mentioned. So that will be part of the new infrastructure. A few smaller solar powered fans should help further prevent mould in the grow room. And the shelf will also be where items that are being solar charged can all sit, near the window where the panels are.

... Who am I kidding, Beaker will claim it as yet another spot to lounge :lol:

1 hour ago, soon said:

Oh right. Never would have thought about if no bugs want at them all the problems that could come.

Benny has struck again! :nervous::wow:

A frying pan? :lol:

Oh no, Cin! I'm glad it wasn't worse, but that's really disconcerting!

My timer has decided to work again!! I just cooked a large batch of two ground beef sauces. Meh. Off my coking game as bad as my gardening game. But my bread is turning out better each time!

This weekend I begin 'project way more shelving' which will begin in the grow room. Ive got a new larger solar fan, I think I mentioned. So that will be part of the new infrastructure. A few smaller solar powered fans should help further prevent mould in the grow room. And the shelf will also be where items that are being solar charged can all sit, near the window where the panels are.

... Who am I kidding, Beaker will claim it as yet another spot to lounge :lol:

You sound all powered up!  I'm plotting when I'm going to put my Christmas lights up.  More amazon deliveries today.  Little early for me to be starting Christmas shopping.

Of course I found the frying pan when I got to the end and had to carry it a mile back to the car.  Probably should have invited the rest of the group to help me but I wasn't sure what day I wanted to do it.

You cook way better than I do.  All that bread is making my mouth water.

I have Extension Counsel tonight.  No, Craig has not cut down the tree yet.  About the only thing I have to say.

You sound all powered up!  I'm plotting when I'm going to put my Christmas lights up.  More amazon deliveries today.  Little early for me to be starting Christmas shopping.

Of course I found the frying pan when I got to the end and had to carry it a mile back to the car.  Probably should have invited the rest of the group to help me but I wasn't sure what day I wanted to do it.

You cook way better than I do.  All that bread is making my mouth water.

I have Extension Counsel tonight.  No, Craig has not cut down the tree yet.  About the only thing I have to say.

Good idea to start Christmas shopping early. I have ways to go for power, but its cool already!

I hope that the Extension Council isnt too painful

How are your cuttings?

1 hour ago, soon said:

Good idea to start Christmas shopping early. I have ways to go for power, but its cool already!

I hope that the Extension Council isnt too painful

How are your cuttings?

Caleb's saw came in early.  He's going to open it just to make sure nothing's broke.  :lol:  He always tries to act so cool about gifts.  Glad he's excited about it.

Council went good.  Apparently Ron called in and wants to leave us something in his will.  He was new this year, an old farmer.  His cancer came back and he told us a few months ago he doesn't have long.  Nice guy.

The 72 cuttings of Joseph Coat?  They are drinking up their water, means they have roots.  Haven't lost anybody yet.  This could be a problem. :lol:

11 hours ago, cineater said:

Caleb's saw came in early.  He's going to open it just to make sure nothing's broke.  :lol:  He always tries to act so cool about gifts.  Glad he's excited about it.

Council went good.  Apparently Ron called in and wants to leave us something in his will.  He was new this year, an old farmer.  His cancer came back and he told us a few months ago he doesn't have long.  Nice guy.

The 72 cuttings of Joseph Coat?  They are drinking up their water, means they have roots.  Haven't lost anybody yet.  This could be a problem. :lol:

Its wise for him to inspect it asap :lol: Very cool - Im happy that youre all happy.

Thats really special that Ron wants t leave you all something. He must have really been enjoying his time there.

Thats a lot of healthy plants on the way! You should start using my gardening techniques and then you wont have so many to care for :lol:

1 hour ago, soon said:

Its wise for him to inspect it asap :lol: Very cool - Im happy that youre all happy.

Thats really special that Ron wants t leave you all something. He must have really been enjoying his time there.

Thats a lot of healthy plants on the way! You should start using my gardening techniques and then you wont have so many to care for :lol:

My driveway was completely covered in leaves!  There's still more up there.  I'm going to mom's today but I'll get to them soon.

I'm worried.  My lights are half full.  I want to grow for the plant sale, for my beds and people keep asking me to grow for them.  I need more growing space and more lights.

24 minutes ago, cineater said:

My driveway was completely covered in leaves!  There's still more up there.  I'm going to mom's today but I'll get to them soon.

I'm worried.  My lights are half full.  I want to grow for the plant sale, for my beds and people keep asking me to grow for them.  I need more growing space and more lights.

Yay leaves - hope you can get to them before they blow away! Have a nice time with your Mom!

Yes, more lights. Always more lights!! I have a new vision for my grow room. Plus Im thinking that the micros simply cant coexist with the potted seedlings. Because the seedlings almost always have at least a bit of mould. And it seems to spread to micro (is my theory). So 'grow room' is becoming 'grow home' :headbang:

But thats so much work for you! Your not retired again!

6 hours ago, soon said:

Yay leaves - hope you can get to them before they blow away! Have a nice time with your Mom!

Yes, more lights. Always more lights!! I have a new vision for my grow room. Plus Im thinking that the micros simply cant coexist with the potted seedlings. Because the seedlings almost always have at least a bit of mould. And it seems to spread to micro (is my theory). So 'grow room' is becoming 'grow home' :headbang:

But thats so much work for you! Your not retired again!

You're going to put them in separate rooms?

I can never go to mom's and not work.  :lol:  We cleaned up her yard and planted some daffodil bulbs.  Then we went to lunch.  Always have to have food.

I'm at the end of the street.  I get bonus leaves that blow down the street into my yard.  There's no way out once they hit my yard. 

You're going to put them in separate rooms?

I can never go to mom's and not work.  :lol:  We cleaned up her yard and planted some daffodil bulbs.  Then we went to lunch.  Always have to have food.

I'm at the end of the street.  I get bonus leaves that blow down the street into my yard.  There's no way out once they hit my yard. 

Yeah, I’m gonna try the micros in a different t room. We’ll see if it helps. The orta is well made and well reviewed so it can’t be getting moldy on its own (is my theory). It’s gonna be a mad house! :lol:

I bet your Mom loves a nice long visit. I bet all the help don’t hurt neither :lol: A meal out sounds so great! What did ya have?

You are in prime leaf mulching property :headbang:

My nettle is still tiny and it’s a slow grower. But as of today some seem to be really starting to thrive. 

1 hour ago, soon said:

Yeah, I’m gonna try the micros in a different t room. We’ll see if it helps. The orta is well made and well reviewed so it can’t be getting moldy on its own (is my theory). It’s gonna be a mad house! :lol:

I bet your Mom loves a nice long visit. I bet all the help don’t hurt neither :lol: A meal out sounds so great! What did ya have?

You are in prime leaf mulching property :headbang:

My nettle is still tiny and it’s a slow grower. But as of today some seem to be really starting to thrive. 

Okay, let's back up.  Are you using fresh soil?  When is the last time you washed your watering equipment?  Scrubbed it with soap?  Are you using a spray bottle to water until they have some bigger roots?  Is the bottom of that soil soaking wet?  Moisture is usually what causes mold.

I didn't have what I wanted.  Really wasn't hungry and this tooth is bothering me.  Mom did like the idea of coming over to Karen's Christmas night.  Karen has to work Christmas Eve when mom does her party and mom usually doesn't do anything on Christmas day so we're getting together then.

Mom seemed a lot more present today.  She's been getting out of the house with friends, has holiday plans to make and has been babysitting my brother a couple times a week.  She was really starting to fade during lockdown.  

9 hours ago, cineater said:

Aw, Ron died.  One of the new master gardeners we got from the library classes.  Old farmer with a great personality.  I liked him a lot. :cry:  He told us a few months ago he was dying.

Oh, Cin, thats sad. I remember you talking well about him. One of the new ones that you got from your library classes. Im really sorry.

RIP Ron.

Okay, let's back up.  Are you using fresh soil?  When is the last time you washed your watering equipment?  Scrubbed it with soap?  Are you using a spray bottle to water until they have some bigger roots?  Is the bottom of that soil soaking wet?  Moisture is usually what causes mold.

My orta uses only fresh soil - mostly the soil that came with it. And its self watering terra cotta. And I have baked it off in the oven once already to combat mould (thats how these are sterilized).

But I often reuse soil for seedlings. This round I didnt sterlilize the plastic containers. But I even get some mould when I use my plastic, bottom watering rig too. I just sanitized that one, ahead of the cuttings.

I try to only spray the seedlings. But I have watered a few times. Since the heats just come on they are drying out faster than Im used to.

The mou.d doesnt effect the seedlings. And I remove it of course. But it kills the micors fast.

Ill try to be more careful though.

I didn't have what I wanted.  Really wasn't hungry and this tooth is bothering me.  Mom did like the idea of coming over to Karen's Christmas night.  Karen has to work Christmas Eve when mom does her party and mom usually doesn't do anything on Christmas day so we're getting together then.

Mom seemed a lot more present today.  She's been getting out of the house with friends, has holiday plans to make and has been babysitting my brother a couple times a week.  She was really starting to fade during lockdown.  

Karen is a rock star - working Christmas eve during the pandemic! So you'll be at Karens but she'll be away?

Sorry about your tooth. That sucks.The dental surgeon is seeing you this month, right?

Im glad that your mom has things to stimulate her and hold her attention.

How is your brother progressing? Is he back home?

My brother is back home and walking without a cane but he can't be left alone in case he falls.  He can't take another blow to the head.  He has trouble controlling his left hand and some brain damage.

I'll be at mom's Christmas Eve.  Usually we do Christmas morning with Karen when she has to work this shift and she goes to bed later.  Everybody at the hospital works some part of Christmas.  I have the dental surgeon on the 24th but it's only a consult.

Ron was a farmer all his life.  Probably a good guess he got cancer from working with all those chemicals.  He would have been a good edition to our group.  He would have been one of my go to people.  I'm going to skip the funeral.  He has a large family and I'm avoiding crowds.  I'm going to send the family a card.

Working at the garden this morning.  It's going to be a beautiful day here if not a little too warm.  I need to put plastic bags over my big pots that stay out all winter and check on the cottage garden.  That lead had shoulder surgery and I need to see if anything needs to be done to winterize it.

My brother is back home and walking without a cane but he can't be left alone in case he falls.  He can't take another blow to the head.  He has trouble controlling his left hand and some brain damage.

I'll be at mom's Christmas Eve.  Usually we do Christmas morning with Karen when she has to work this shift and she goes to bed later.  Everybody at the hospital works some part of Christmas.  I have the dental surgeon on the 24th but it's only a consult.

Ron was a farmer all his life.  Probably a good guess he got cancer from working with all those chemicals.  He would have been a good edition to our group.  He would have been one of my go to people.  I'm going to skip the funeral.  He has a large family and I'm avoiding crowds.  I'm going to send the family a card.

Working at the garden this morning.  It's going to be a beautiful day here if not a little too warm.  I need to put plastic bags over my big pots that stay out all winter and check on the cottage garden.  That lead had shoulder surgery and I need to see if anything needs to be done to winterize it.

I hope that your brother continues to recover. Thats so difficult for him.

Im so dim that I still dont graps the christmas plans... but it sounds like you are happy with it, so thats great! lol

I want your tooth taken care of! Ouch.

I bet you could be right about Ron and all those chemicals. :( Im so sorry for you loss, Cin. Its sad to have been just getting started knowing each other and getting along so well, to have it end so soon. Yeah, Id skip funeral too. These times are so trying.

Enjoy the garden - I hope its not too hot. We get some warmer weather again today. But Im feeling hella lazy so it might not make a difference to me. Very kind of you to help out.

Did Ron ever mention what types of crops he raised? Just think about how much food he supplied over his lifetime?!

4 hours ago, soon said:

I hope that your brother continues to recover. Thats so difficult for him.

Im so dim that I still dont graps the christmas plans... but it sounds like you are happy with it, so thats great! lol

I want your tooth taken care of! Ouch.

I bet you could be right about Ron and all those chemicals. :( Im so sorry for you loss, Cin. Its sad to have been just getting started knowing each other and getting along so well, to have it end so soon. Yeah, Id skip funeral too. These times are so trying.

Enjoy the garden - I hope its not too hot. We get some warmer weather again today. But Im feeling hella lazy so it might not make a difference to me. Very kind of you to help out.

Did Ron ever mention what types of crops he raised? Just think about how much food he supplied over his lifetime?!

Yeah that's just it with Ron, missed opportunity to be with somebody I was really starting to like.  He had crops and cattle.  I think his kids had pretty much taken over and he was semi retired.

The guy said the creek project may finish up on Tuesday if the weather holds.  That didn't take long.  We may be able to put the monarch way station in the ground if that happens.  Oh joy, move those 40 pots again. :lol:

Sent you a picture of the leaves waiting on the dog.  I blew them into a big pile for her to play in.  Normally I just suck them up from where they lay when they are that thick.  Hopefully she spreads them around.  I think that tree is about half way done.  I'll mulch these up with the mower and bag them for later use on my beds.  I see Dennis out there with what looks like a leaf vacuum.  Guess I better go check that out.

35 minutes ago, cineater said:

Yeah that's just it with Ron, missed opportunity to be with somebody I was really starting to like.  He had crops and cattle.  I think his kids had pretty much taken over and he was semi retired.

The guy said the creek project may finish up on Tuesday if the weather holds.  That didn't take long.  We may be able to put the monarch way station in the ground if that happens.  Oh joy, move those 40 pots again. :lol:

Sent you a picture of the leaves waiting on the dog.  I blew them into a big pile for her to play in.  Normally I just suck them up from where they lay when they are that thick.  Hopefully she spreads them around.  I think that tree is about half way done.  I'll mulch these up with the mower and bag them for later use on my beds.  I see Dennis out there with what looks like a leaf vacuum.  Guess I better go check that out.

I wish you could have had more time being friends. Thats really sad.

What - Im surprised aout the creek project. Truth be told I thought it would never get finished :lol: j/k. Thats awesome! Sucks about the pots though :lol:

Thats a genius system, using the dog to spread all those leaves! Im happy you get your leaf mulch!!

I have done nothing today. :lol:

3 hours ago, soon said:

I wish you could have had more time being friends. Thats really sad.

What - Im surprised aout the creek project. Truth be told I thought it would never get finished :lol: j/k. Thats awesome! Sucks about the pots though :lol:

Thats a genius system, using the dog to spread all those leaves! Im happy you get your leaf mulch!!

I have done nothing today. :lol:

I wasn't expecting the creek to be finished that quickly either.  Probably means more work at the gardens for me. :lol:

I took down a bunch of my plants at home.  There's not a lot of cover out there for cats.  Mine are acting a little paranoid.  Could have been the dog.  She was more interested in the cats then the leaves.  I mulched them all up after she left.  I'm sure there's more to come.  Dennis has one of those vacuums that turns your leaves into mulch.  Not a very big collection bag on it from my point of view.  Like my mower.

Well, politics just became boring.  Don't know if it's the right way to go but it's over.  Now if we can get a vaccine, it will be back to life as normal.