Smashing Pumpkins Reunion?

soon

I don't expect much from them these days, but I don't dislike this song so far after two listens ^... they're going back to their 80's sound. But seeing as the new record is going to be a double album, I'm guessing that there will be many different flavours on it.

Anyway, they released two new songs,

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't dislike the songs, but synth-pop isn't for me either. I remember Billy saying something about wanting to write heavy riffs again now that Jimmy was back in the band, so I am still hoping that there will be some more rocking stuff on the new album.

I really enjoy synth pop, and am loving its resurgence! Cyr is actually a really cool tune, in particular, and is probably one of my favorite Corgan songs since 2007. Guitar based does not necessarily mean better, and I would take these two tracks over most of "Shiny and Oh So Bright" in their recorded forms. Still, use Iha and Chamberlain! Hope they get their moments on the album. 

• 3 weeks later...

KIinda disappointed that they used this announcement as a ''countdown'' on their website, because they already mentioned that it was going to be a double record before, I was hoping for a new song.

But I agree, hopefully they will use Jimmy more than on the songs we've heard so far, and I wouldn't mind hearing a James composition, he's underrated.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm getting worried now... two new songs released, if the entire record is going to be synth-pop, I'm out...

Edit; I actually quite like Wrath so far, I'm just missing the guitars. But... I still hope this style is only one side of the record.

Edited by EvanG
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Okay, I'm getting worried now... two new songs released, if the entire record is going to be synth-pop, I'm out...

Edit; I actually quite like Wrath so far, I'm just missing the guitars. But... I still hope this style is only one side of the record.

I am not feeling these. To me they sound like a poor mans Maggie Rogers. Its not even like SP without guitars, its more like Metric without the guitars.

Yeah, heres hoping that theres more the the record.

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I am not feeling these. To me they sound like a poor mans Maggie Rogers. Its not even like SP without guitars, its more like Metric without the guitars.

Yeah, heres hoping that theres more the the record.

All the songs they have released so far are from side A, maybe side B, C and D are different in style. They have three guitarists in the band now and making songs with barely any guitars wouldn't make much sense. Then again, you never know with this band...

lyrics-900x643.jpg

• Like 1

So far all the songs sound okay. Not bad, but not great. Just okay.

And yeah the lack of guitars is puzzling.

I really liked the main singles from the last album (Solara and Ghosts). So far none of these advanced tracks have lived up to those.

But there’s still 16 songs we haven’t heard yet. So we’ll see!

I keep hoping and praying that Billy puts something good out again. I followed the pre-reunion years fairly closely and both Zeitgeist and Oceania have some solid tunes, but they're not great albums. So then I hoped James and Jimmy coming back might light a fire under Billy's ass and really get something great out of him again...and instead we're getting boneless synthpop that's not far from the stuff he was trying to do ten years ago with the Teargarden crap. Billy hasn't really evolved his style at all in a decade and it absolutely fucking baffles me that this band has three guitarists and one of the best rock drummers of the 90's in it, yet these songs have almost zero guitars and drum machines all over them. Plus the songs are just lazy as fuck, all four of these songs have maybe two sections each and Billy sounds comatose on them.

Edited by chevelle

3 hours ago, chevelle said:

I keep hoping and praying that Billy puts something good out again. I followed the pre-reunion years fairly closely and both Zeitgeist and Oceania have some solid tunes, but they're not great albums. So then I hoped James and Jimmy coming back might light a fire under Billy's ass and really get something great out of him again...and instead we're getting boneless synthpop that's not far from the stuff he was trying to do ten years ago with the Teargarden crap. Billy hasn't really evolved his style at all in a decade and it absolutely fucking baffles me that this band has three guitarists and one of the best rock drummers of the 90's in it, yet these songs have almost zero guitars and drum machines all over them. Plus the songs are just lazy as fuck, all four of these songs have maybe two sections each and Billy sounds comatose on them.

It actually sounds more like his first solo record from 2005, which was also synth-pop inspired. I don't think the songs are lazy just because they're simple, and I applaud them for doing this, even if it's not my cup of tea. But like I already mentioned, there are twenty songs, we've only heard one side so far, I bet that there's a lot more on there than synth-pop songs.

40 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

If the theory that each side of the record is a different genre, it makes zero sense for him to put out only songs from the synth portion as the kick off (not that anyone outside of the internet really cares about new SP music, anyways). 

I don't know about each side of the record being a different genre, but I doubt that it's going to be 20 synth-pop songs on there, I think there will be some more rocking stuff too. But I could be wrong. As for it making zero sense, has that ever stopped him before? Most people told him that making your third record a double record would be career suicide but he did it anyway and it became their biggest record. Then he followed that one up with an electronic/acoustic record that alienated a lot of their fans who wanted another Mellon Collie with rock songs on it. So yeah... he's never done what you'd expect or what would make the most sense.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't know about each side of the record being a different genre, but I doubt that it's going to be 20 synth-pop songs on there, I think there will be some more rocking stuff too. But I could be wrong. As for it making zero sense, has that ever stopped him before? Most people told him that making your third record a double record would be career suicide but he did it anyway and it became their biggest record. Then he followed that one up with an electronic/acoustic record that alienated a lot of their fans who wanted another Mellon Collie with rock songs on it. So yeah... he's never done what you'd expect or what would make the most sense.

The funny thing is that all the good songs from that “techno/ acoustic” album (Adore), are actually all of the b-sides (Eye, End is the Beginning, Beginning is the End, Let Me Give the World to You, Crash Car Star, etc.).

5 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The funny thing is that all the good songs from that “techno/ acoustic” album (Adore), are actually all of the b-sides (Eye, End is the Beginning, Beginning is the End, Let Me Give the World to You, Crash Car Star, etc.).

I live Ava Adore as a song too

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I like Adore, it’s a very personal record with some beautiful songs on it, but from a career point of view it wasn’t the smartest move.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 4:03 AM, Stress Fracture said:

If this is all Billy wants to do with the reunion, he could have paid D’arcy to appear in the promo shots and then keep away from the recording studio too.

I know 2020 has thrown up some difficulties for bands but damn.

Woof. After what, 8 singles already? I can definitely write this one off, this is musical Xanax.

Yeah even I, a massive fan, have to admit that the latest song was really boring.

If this is the only sound on the entire double album, than I’m not gonna bother even buying it now. :/

EDIT: did some research just now and found out that this album doesn’t even have an outside producer. Billy is producing it himself... That explains a lot...

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah even I, a massive fan, have to admit that the latest song was really boring.

If this is the only sound on the entire double album, than I’m not gonna bother even buying it now. :/

EDIT: did some research just now and found out that this album doesn’t even have an outside producer. Billy is producing it himself... That explains a lot...

Agreed. I thought it was poor and I liked Zwan.  

• Like 1

The synth stuff was cool for a few songs, but I cannot believe how out of touch Corgan is. To have an entire post reunion double album with 3 guitarists and then to completely cut guitar as a main instrument and basically cut Jimmy's drumming is absurdity

• Like 1