Smashing Pumpkins Reunion?

soon

They are going to release a 33-song sequel to Mellon Collie and Machina after releasing Cyr, the new double album that will come out next month. I'm guessing that will be more rocking again after their little synth-pop adventure. And if that's not enough, after that they will release Shiny volume 3, yet another new record. So we are basically getting three new records, with two of them being double albums. It's crazy how productive they are. 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/smashing-pumpkins-announce-mellon-collie-and-the-infinite-sadness-sequel-album-2795111?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=smashing-pumpkins-announce-mellon-collie-and-the-infinite-sadness-sequel-album&fbclid=IwAR0Gh6GhJ9WSEJrrLV4DygA9w3Mi_BdgDlHj4lA0-8xSLBJAVat4kf5eyw4

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

There is a 60%-70%  chance most of that never materializes 

Yeah exactly. Billy talks a big game but a lot of it never comes to fruition. There have been many “canceled” Pumpkins albums to bee the years. The guy changes his mind a lot.

He’s probably just saying all this after The five advanced tracks from Cyr got so poorly received.

I didn't know this. But I do know that they have always been very prolific. They released more than 110 songs in 5 years time in the second half of the 90's. In the last couple of years Billy released two solo records with in total almost 30 songs and a Smashing Pumpkins record. Now with most of the original line-up in place, I don't see why this couldn't happen. They've had a lot of time this pandemic and most of it has already been recorded.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

Even Billy looks like hes saying "What the fuck??" I made that exact same expression :lol:

I think it's an alright song, still too much synth-pop for my taste and probably not something I'll end up listening to, but it's less forgettable than some of the songs they have been releasing these past few weeks. And there's some good eye candy in the video : )

• GNFNR 1

31 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I struggle a bit with his vocal style these days. It's almost like he's whispering. He sings so softly into the mic, then they just turn it up in the mix. No power in the vocals anymore.

Yeah he sounds nothing like he did on Mellon Collie. The fire in his belly is gone. Damn shame :/

12 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I struggle a bit with his vocal style these days. It's almost like he's whispering. He sings so softly into the mic, then they just turn it up in the mix. No power in the vocals anymore.

I don't know when exactly, but he learned how to sing in tune. In the 90's and 00's he would sing out of tune more often than not during live performances. He did a few live performances for his solo records in recent years and it was just his vocals and guitar or piano, and he pulled it off without singing out of tune for almost the entire shows. He was never able to do that before. That being said, I miss his 90's voice because he could still scream and there was way more power to it, something raw. Now he sings almost like a pop singer. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to listening to all 20 new songs. There are some good songs on it, but as I've said before, I'm not really into synth pop. 

Both Jimmy and Billy have mentioned in recent interviews that the sequel to Mellon Collie, that they are already working on, will be more rocking again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New album is rough. I say that as someone who likes synth pop and wave. The songs aren't bad, but there are way too many. A 5 track synth EP with the best songs would have been enough imo. They all completely blend together with there being so many. Horrendous underuse of the reunited band. Cyr is my my favorite song if the lot

It would have been better with ten songs because most of the songs don't sound very different from each other and 20 songs that sound the same is a bit too much. A double record like Mellon Collie worked because there were so many different flavours on it.

As for underuse of the reunited band, there's more guitar on it than most people think as you can see in the clip, and even though it's not my cup of tea, I think it's cool that they're not doing what is expected of them. The person really taking a huge step back is Jimmy because you can't have crazy drumming on a synth record, but I bet that he will get his moments in the spotlight again on the next records. And he's been the most vocal in interviews on how excited he is that the band made this different sounding record.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 1:52 PM, EvanG said:

It would have been better with ten songs because most of the songs don't sound very different from each other and 20 songs that sound the same is a bit too much. A double record like Mellon Collie worked because there were so many different flavours on it.

As for underuse of the reunited band, there's more guitar on it than most people think as you can see in the clip, and even though it's not my cup of tea, I think it's cool that they're not doing what is expected of them. The person really taking a huge step back is Jimmy because you can't have crazy drumming on a synth record, but I bet that he will get his moments in the spotlight again on the next records. And he's been the most vocal in interviews on how excited he is that the band made this different sounding record.

I didn't realize they are using guitar synths. Neat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to have another go at Cyr yesterday... my word is it hard work. I lasted maybe 6 or 7 songs. The key problem is there is so little variety or dynamics. Every song is c. 4 mins long, has a meandering verse, forgetful chorus, all at the same volume, and nothing else. Melon Colie had short songs, long songs, heavy, soft, loud, quiet - fantastic variety and dynamism both within and between songs. That's totally missing here. As standalone tunes on a random playlist - Cyr would be okay. As a full 80 minute album, nope.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/23/2020 at 10:04 AM, EvanG said:

They are going to release a 33-song sequel to Mellon Collie and Machina after releasing Cyr, the new double album that will come out next month. I'm guessing that will be more rocking again after their little synth-pop adventure. And if that's not enough, after that they will release Shiny volume 3, yet another new record. So we are basically getting three new records, with two of them being double albums. It's crazy how productive they are. 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/smashing-pumpkins-announce-mellon-collie-and-the-infinite-sadness-sequel-album-2795111?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=smashing-pumpkins-announce-mellon-collie-and-the-infinite-sadness-sequel-album&fbclid=IwAR0Gh6GhJ9WSEJrrLV4DygA9w3Mi_BdgDlHj4lA0-8xSLBJAVat4kf5eyw4

Bump

Well, this got announced today and the first song is lame