Smashing Pumpkins Reunion?

soon

• 1 month later...

The album came out today. Man, he has really lost the plot since the band broke up. There are a small handful of songs I genuinely like from Zeitgeist, Oceana, and Monuments but the post reunion material has been vm overall very weak. I don’t blame Chamberlain or Iha, of course

I've listened to most of them already through the Thirty Three podcast that has been premiering a new song every week.
It's pretty hit or miss like most of his songs post-2000. That being said, I haven't listened enough to give much of an opinion.
I still think he can write great songs, though. His solo album ''Ogilala'' from a few years ago has some really good songs on it in my opinion.

Edited by EvanG

4 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

‘Hooray!’ almost falls into so bad it’s good territory. I can’t help but admire how it literally turns into clown music at the end but ultimately it’s just so bad.

It's not his finest moment, but out of the 33 tracks, I'm picking there's gonna be four/five bangers, hopefully 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just now, rocknroll41 said:

Because they probably were. I know Rubin technically produced the 2018 album, but I bet he didn’t really do anything.

Oh yeah. That one sounds less “Billy fucking around with a laptop and small midi controller” than the others. Songs weren’t memorable, though

• Like 1

The best songs of the NuPumpkins era imo were Tarantula, SuperChrist, Tiberius and Being Beige.

The best songs of the reunion era are Solara, Ghosts, Cyr, Beguiled, Empires and Steps In Time.

This new release should’ve just been one album, though. The triple thing was a mistake. Similarly, the last release should’ve just been a single album instead of a double. Corgan barely pulled off the double album thing with Mellon Collie and has been trying to duplicate that success ever since, but it never works (“concepts” be damned).

Edited by rocknroll41

I will give it a go,

IMO, best songs of NU-Smashing Pumpkins era: Tarantula, Doomsday Clock, 7 Shades Of Black, (Come On) Let's Go, Freak, Owata, Tiberius, One and All (We Are) (such an awesome riff!), Drum + Fife, Anti-Hero.

Best songs reunion era: Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts), With Sympathy, Travels, Empires.

I've barely listened to Cyr and Atum so far. If I had, I would have maybe included more songs from those records. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Ah, I was hoping they would keep it to two guitars again now Jeff is gone. For a lot of the new stuff they don’t need three guitars anyway and the old stuff maybe does but they made it work live with two guitars for a long time. Plus, I love Billy’s lead playing, I don’t want to see anyone else taking over half of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...