Smashing Pumpkins Reunion?

soon

6 hours ago, soon said:

The Alternative Nation interview with D'arcy (her first in 20 years) is set to be released tonight or tomorrow, Valentines Day.  To me theres something thats very much in the mode of Melon Collie to that, not to mention the romantic history.

She will seal her fate with its publication, no doubt.

She did an informal radio call interview in 2009 but aside from that yeah I don't think she's talked to the press since 1998.

• Thanks 1

Just read the full text exchange. Feels to me like Billy was trying to do everything he could to slowly get her re-adjusted to performing full shows, let alone touring, in small steps, since she hasn't performed since 1999. I understand where he's coming from, but I also understand why this pissed D'Arcy off and why she felt "left out" by not being included as a full-time member from the very get-go like James and Jimmy both seem to have been. 

It's funny that Corgan compared her to Adler, when really she reminds me more of Izzy. Hasn't really played much in decades and now wants to be a part of the whole thing. Im not trying to take a stab at Izzy or D'Arcy, cause I get where they're both coming from, but that's just how I see it at least. 

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

Like I said as a fan, we still want to see you guys work this out.

I would love to, but Billy will never do it. Not in this lifetime.

You can’t say not in this lifetime! Guns N’ Roses, that was the name of their tour.

Yeah, but it really wasn’t, was it?

Yeah, no Izzy and Steven.

Love it :lol:
  • Like 2

I gotta read and listen to this interview another time through.  It sounds like Billy actually drove her crazy.  And that she's still recovering.  And maybe thats why she's doing her part to sabotage things?  Billy seems to be too, which says to her that he hasn't changes and she needs to protect herself?  I dunno.  

Really sad to hear about the miscarriage.

5 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Either way, if D’arcy is to be believed, she’s managed to talk her way out of 22% of the loot just for guest appearances. Even Izzy must be shaking his head at that.

Yeah I do have to say, why should it be an even split in this case? Billy did almost everything in that man. A 22% take seems like a good deal, but that wasn't written out either so I doubt she would have ended up with that much

Either way, he always sounds like an awful person. Her take on thinga goes along with what others say about Corgan

So according to the leaked texts it's gonna be an arena tour... Do they still even have a strong enough of a following to perform at arenas? Especially with only 3/4 of the classic line-up?

billy is gonna have to co-headline with some other 90s nostalgia act like he did with manson back in 2014/2015. 

• Like 1

Having Iha, D'Arcy, and Jimmy all back probably woulda made the arena approach work, but both Billy and D'Arcy handled this whole thing way too immaturely. 

Now that I think about it more, I think I'm starting to side with D'Arcy more so than Billy on this whole situation. Billy coulda started with small club shows, or at the very least let her come be a part of the whole arena tour and pay a little extra to have the backup bassist following them around on standby mode in case she flaked out again. 

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Having Iha, D'Arcy, and Jimmy all back probably woulda made the arena approach work, but both Billy and D'Arcy handled this whole thing way too immaturely. 

Now that I think about it more, I think I'm starting to side with D'Arcy more so than Billy on this whole situation. Billy coulda started with small club shows, or at the very least let her come be a part of the whole arena tour and pay a little extra to have the backup bassist following them around on standby mode in case she flaked out again. 

They haven't seen her play in 19 years, it's hard to give her the full time spot when you don't know what you're going to get. What if everyone thinks he's terrible and she won't step away because she thinks she's great? 

I think it's impossible for us to take a side because we only know one side of the story sorta, and we don't even know how reliable D'arcy is... and we read some messages. We will probably never know exactly how it all went down. It's just sad for both parties, and of course the fans who wanted a real reunion and probably never get one now.

Edited by EvanG

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

They haven't seen her play in 19 years, it's hard to give her the full time spot when you don't know what you're going to get. What if everyone thinks he's terrible and she won't step away because she thinks she's great? 

Yeah good point. Sometimes I forget that she hasn't played a single song live since 1999.

Apparently it's gonna be Jack Bates (son of Peter Hook), who already toured with nu-Smashing Pumpkins. I never paid attention to that tour, but apparently he's just as boring on stage as Jeff.

I think what Billy doesn't realize, or maybe he does but doesn't care, is that the orginial lineup did have great charisma on stage and that will be sorely missing with boring Jeff and Jack on stage with them.

• Like 1

In wake of all this drama, I decided to go read Smashing Pumpkins fan forums for the first, and let me tell you, nobody hates the Smashing Pumpkins more than Smashing Pumpkins fans do.

the vibe on their fan forums is so negative and sad that it makes the 2002-2014 era on these forums look like a fucking picnic by comparrison. That fan base has just given up on all hope, it seems.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 3

I've been reading the SP forum the last couple of days too, the people there are just as depressing as SP's music.... I thought this forum was bad. Anyway, apparently a disturbing picture of D'arcy has been leaked but I haven't seen it... the drama never stops in Pumpkins world.

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I've been reading the SP forum the last couple of days too, the people there are just as depressing as SP's music.... I thought this forum was bad. Anyway, apparently a disturbing picture of D'arcy has been leaked but I haven't seen it... the drama never stops in Pumpkins world.

I heard that the pic itself hasn't leaked to the public yet, but has been described by those close to her. Apparently she was attacked/ assaulted by her ex-assistant recently. Not sure if the incident is related to the band/ reunion at all.

she actually sent a recent pic of herself (most likely from before the attack) to alternative nation for the interview she just did with them. I thought she looked fine.