Smashing Pumpkins Reunion?

soon

6 minutes ago, soon said:

WTF: the count down ran out and then just disappeared.  Theres no new info

Click on refresh... it's exactly what we expected... tour starting in July with the Jeff lineup. I feel kinda bad for the guys... they even tracked down the original girls from the Siamese Dream album cover, and now this whole deal with D'arcy is giving this ''reunion'' a bitter taste.

23 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I thought she looked fine.

Me too, apart from the terrible plastic surgery, of course.

Edited by EvanG
can't type

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Click on refresh... it's exactly what we expected... tour starting in July with the Jeff lineup. I feel kinda bad for the guys... they even tracked down the original girls from the Siamese Dream album cover, and now this whole deal with D'arcy is giving this ''reunion'' a bitter taste.

Oh, right, thanks! lol at my computer savvy!.

Ugh.

This must be what D'arcy meant when she said they 'remade Today video with out her'  I hope at least.  

Do we think the other bassist is involved but not listed to keep it at least a 4 piece for nostalgic purposes?

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Do we think the other bassist is involved but not listed to keep it at least a 4 piece for nostalgic purposes?

Yeah, I think so... that Jack Bates guy is just going to be a touring musician. I respect Billy's loyalty towards Jeff, but who is waiting for the Smashing Pumpkins to be a three guitar piece band live? I'm not.

Edited by EvanG
  • GNFNR 1

The tour notably coincides with the 30th anniversary of the Smashing Pumpkins' formation. During the tour, the band will exclusively play songs off their first five albums: 1991's Gish, 1993's Siamese Dream, 1995's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, 1998's Adore and 2000's Machina.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/smashing-pumpkins-reunion-tour-w516780

4 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Feels as though this has had as much impact as a fart in the wind. An arena tour? I applaud them for being ambitious at least, but this may not go well.

Agreed.  And if the D'ary texts/ interview represent an accurate accounting, it says that Billy left her out of much of the process to ensure that the Arena tour would be viable.  Id argue that in not finding a way to include D'arcy he ensured that arenas may not be viable.

• Like 1

Have they announced any opening acts yet? Maybe if they get good openers that would help.

booking an arena tour before all four original members were completely locked in is probably the stupidest business move Corgan had ever made. Even dumber than the wrestling thing.

with that being said, I'll still go to a show.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Have they announced any opening acts yet? Maybe if they get good openers that would help.

booking an arena tour before all four original members were completely locked in is probably the stupidest business move Corgan had ever made. Even dumber than the wrestling thing.

with that being said, I'll still go to a show.

Yup, my thoughts. Funny enough, he did an arena tour in 2012 with ZERO other members (Chamberlain was gone, again). He purposely had the show configured so none of the arenas would have the upper bowl and much of the lower bowls for sale. So a "sell out" crowd would still only be like 5,000 people... in an arena! It is all just an ego trip with Corgan. 

The "Smashing Pumpkins" brand has been out touring consistently since 2007. You can say the same about GNR during 2001-2014, but GNR is much bigger and has two super stars in the band for casual fans so Slash coming back was always going to be a huge deal no matter what. Corgan blew his wad with a "reunion" in 2007 with Chamberlain and another chick playing D'arcy's guitar and an asian guitarist that wasn't James. Nothing wrong with another girl or asian guy, of course, but its clear it was all calculated to fool the fan. Either way, to the casual fan there has been a Smashing Pumpkins lineup touring semi consistently, sometimes with Chamberlain. Does adding Iha really warrant this mammoth arena trek? No, probably not. If it was all of them I would say it would help, but I don't see this being a rousing success considering the cheapest seats at my city's show are $50 before fees. 

Billy Corgan is a very talented musician. He has written some awesome tunes, there is no doubt about that. I have even enjoyed some post-2007 "Smashing Pumpkins" songs and thought Oceania was a cool album. Still, I think it was stupid to revive the name without the actual band just like I think it hurt Axl to call his post 2001 bands Guns N' Roses. Ultimately, it is what it is and we will see what happens. I am more inclined to see them now, because at least it is more authentic with 3/4ths of the band. I'll probably go, in fact. It is still disappointing to me none of these big bands can simply get everyone on board to do these reunions. So many have been half-assed in the past decade or so. It'd be one thing if D'arcy didn't want to do it, but she clearly does and it seems Corgan didn't even give her a real chance. Same with Izzy, Steven, Michael Anthony, Bill Ward, etc. A lot of these guys and girls were shut out because of personal issues with other members and it is a shame for the majority of fans. If Iha just rejoined, it'd be awesome, but now Corgan has obviously been cashing in on the nostalgia/reunion promotion package because this is clearly a cash grab. It comes across as disingenuous to me.

If you want to do the nostalgic, cash-grab gigantic tour that is fine with me. Just do it right, and get your full band if everyone wants to do it. That goes for GNR, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, and The Smashing Pumpkins. I still support all these bands (the 2016 GNR shows are my favorite that I've been to, ever), but I still am disappointed when things don't always work out as they should. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

It'd be one thing if D'arcy didn't want to do it, but she clearly does and it seems Corgan didn't even give her a real chance.

I don't know about that. All we have is a contradictive interview from D'arcy and a part of their text conversation, in which he seemed pretty reasonable. I'm sure there's more to it, so we shouldn't make assumptions.

If anything things the inclusion of D'Arcy would really make that much of a difference in ticket sales, regardless of arenas or clubs, you're delusional lol. 

The Pumpkins had an impact, but they're not nearly as big or notable as acts and lineups like Sabbath or GN'R.

I think the arena tour is pretty ambitious, but she wouldn't have made a difference, and anyone saying "D'Arcy or Bust" is dumb, sorry.

Also, sounds like they've got some cool ideas to add some differences or life to some classic songs. I can't wait. Fuck y'all.

4 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

but she wouldn't have made a difference

She would. She was a founding member and part of that band for over ten years, even if she didn't contribute a lot musically and creatively, she's part of the nostalgia for most people. And that's exactly what reunion tours are about... nostalgia.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

If anything things the inclusion of D'Arcy would really make that much of a difference in ticket sales, regardless of arenas or clubs, you're delusional lol. 

The Pumpkins had an impact, but they're not nearly as big or notable as acts and lineups like Sabbath or GN'R.

I think the arena tour is pretty ambitious, but she wouldn't have made a difference, and anyone saying "D'Arcy or Bust" is dumb, sorry.

Also, sounds like they've got some cool ideas to add some differences or life to some classic songs. I can't wait. Fuck y'all.

While I agree with the fact that it might not make a significant difference, the constant back and forth of "text" reporting and all that surely doesn't help. The reunion hasn't even happened yet, and anyone who cares enough to read the negative bickering articles may have some decreased enthusiasm about it all. I know I certainly feel that way. It makes it feel incomplete when they were close enough to at least be in communication. I'm sure the shows will be decent, but it does sour the experience a bit.

Only US dates announced, but I'd go see that big bald melon again just for old time's sake if they came to Japan.

Especially knowing they'll keep the setlist to the hits and not all the weird indulgent stuff Corgan has been churning out over the years.

At least he's prolific as hell....he's the anti-Axl in that regard.  But at the end of the day people are gonna want Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie stuff the most.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 1:29 PM, EvanG said:

I don't find that surprising. Billy's been touring and recording under "Smashing Pumpkins" for 10 years already, so it's not like "Smashing Pumpkins are back!" is the big selling point. And none of the original members are big stars on their own, so it's not quite Slash going back to GNR level of interest. The only selling point for me is they're playing the hits from their early albums but do casual/old fans know that?  

• Like 1

I think there are a lot of reasons why this tour might not be the biggest success. They were briefly one of the biggest bands on the planet in 1995/1996, but their popularity already started to fade by the end of the 90s, so to get back to where they left off in 2000 without even the original lineup to back it up with, is not something too many people care about, or at least not enough people to fill all those arenas.