Smashing Pumpkins Reunion?

soon

Cool track! Jimmy is kicking ass here once again, he steals the show! Even when he's just doing that paradiddle he makes it so crips and cool. Theres some monster fills and great snare work.

Song is missing out on a great Cherub Rock or Zero guitar solo though. Why is there no guitar solo? But its really great anyways.

Edited by soon

On 8-6-2018 at 5:30 PM, soon said:

Song is missing out on a great Cherub Rock or Zero guitar solo though. Why is there no guitar solo? But its really great anyways.

The solo in Cherub Rock is one of the coolest of the 90s in my humble opinion. He hasn't played many guitar solos since 2000, which is a shame because B0lly is an awesome guitarist and always came up with creative and unique solos.

Anyway, the song isn't great but not as bad as some of the stuff B0lly has released since 2000. Chorus doesn't stand out though. 

This being the first song in 18 years that features Iha, I was expecting more. But I don't know how much Iha contributed, if he even plays on it you might barely hear him in the mix now that they have three guitar players.

Edited by EvanG
type can't

55 minutes ago, EvanG said:

The solo in Cherub Rock is one of the coolest of the 90s in my humble opinion. He hasn't played many guitar solos since 2000, which is a shame because B0lly is an awesome guitarist and always came up with creative and unique solos.

I agree 100% about Cherub Rock solo! And when I saw the live he nailed it, too.

Oh, I see. I guess I knew they went 'modern' as far as less flashy guitar, but was figuring the regrouping was a return to form. Or hoping it was at least. Yeah, thats a real loss for music.

57 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Anyway, the song isn't great but not as bad as some of the stuff B0lly has released since 2000. Chorus doesn't stand out though. 

This being the first song in 18 years that features Iha I was expecting more. But I don't know how much Iha contributed, if he even plays on it you might barely hear him in the mix now that they have three guitar players.

Im really into the verse vocal melody and the drums. But whereas the verse is stuck in my head, I couldnt even hum the chorus. But I am really loving the drums in the chorus. Jimmy is a beast in general, but I think his drums are almost making up for being a gnr fan, starved for ace drumming.

Yeah, I thought there'd be the five tracks of unique guitar parts like back in the day. Guitars seem to be more or less playing the same part.

Im happy with it and have listened to it quite a few times already, even with all the above.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Im really into the verse vocal melody and the drums. But whereas the verse is stuck in my head, I couldnt even hum the chorus. But I am really loving the drums in the chorus. Jimmy is a beast in general, but I think his drums are almost making up for being a gnr fan, starved for ace drumming.

Exactly! I've listened to it several times in the last couple of days, to see if it would grow on me and I do like the verse melody and bridge, it's catchy enough to have it stuck in my head for days now, but I have no idea how the chorus goes without listening to it. It's also a bit too Zeitgeist for me, and that really wasn't a good album. Jimmy is always a beast, by far one of the best drummers of the last 30 years.

• Like 1

That song has some of the worst production I've ever heard. Oh right, Rick Rubin did it.

The song itself is mediocre enough. Corgan has released much better without the reunited lineup. But still, I'll check out an album. Is there an album coming out at all?

3 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

That song has some of the worst production I've ever heard. Oh right, Rick Rubin did it.

The song itself is mediocre enough. Corgan has released much better without the reunited lineup. But still, I'll check out an album. Is there an album coming out at all?

Two 4 song EP's is the plan, last I heard.

Yeah, Rubin is the worst these days. I think part of Jimmys brilliance on this track is his focous on the snare. Given how this era of music is mixed, as epitomized by Rubin; the snare is the only drum given any body. Its like "eff you, Im gonna subvert this and make this super musical despite the limiting mix!" Plus it refernces back to Tonight Tonight and Cherub Rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to give this song another chance, cause I was curious about the new music video.

gotta say, the song has really grown on me now! And I like all of the funny symbolism in the video! The song sounded better when they played it on Fallon, though. I guess that can be blamed on Rubin's dated production sound. 

Looking forward to seeing them next month. Shame darcy isn't there. Hopefully the arena isn't too empty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Decided to give this song another chance, cause I was curious about the new music video.

gotta say, the song has really grown on me now! And I like all of the funny symbolism in the video! The song sounded better when they played it on Fallon, though. I guess that can be blamed on Rubin's dated production sound. 

Looking forward to seeing them next month. Shame darcy isn't there. Hopefully the arena isn't too empty.

Im still not sure what to make of the video. Theres a lot of Billy thats for sure, lol. Its cool that its artsy and to me it seems like theres a lot of 90's music video type imagery going on.

Awesome youre getting a show!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Looks like they're putting on a good show, and his voice sounds better than it has in recent years!

Agreed, they and he sound fantastic! I like the intro too, the imagery was already nostalgic when it first came out and now in this situation its just overload in the best ways!

Makes me reassess my decision to not travel to see them.

• Like 1

I've watched a lot of live clips and I agree that his voice sounds good, at least for his doing. I already noticed this during his solo shows last year, usually he sings out of tune quite a bit but now he has it under control. Too bad he can't really scream anymore though, that gave a lot of Pumpkins songs that extra edge.

It's cool seeing James up there and that is the only thing that makes this special. Seeing Jeff and Jack is bit like seeing Richard, Melissa and Frank.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

I havnt been keeping myself updated bur is Darcy part of the lineup at all?. I know there was messages between darcy and billy that got alot of media attention. Just wondered if there has been an agreement struck with adding Darcy to the lineup?.