Who would you like to produce a new GNR album with the current lineup?

Who would you like to produce a new GNR album with the current lineup?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, Derick said:

I have zero knowledge about this production thing..It´s not about creative process on the songs, right? I mean, control over what? Volume level of instruments? Sequence of songs in the album? Or something more focused on the arrangements and stuffs like that? Sorry, I'm completely lost over here!:lol:

It's the overall sound of a album. It can drastically change your perception and the mood of a song. An example off of the top of my head is "walk this way" you've got the old school recording then the later release, the instruments and over all sound had changed from the original to the 80s version. 

Imo the 80s version has that "polished" sound too it, it's much more crisp and dynamic with the range of frequencies you hear in comparison to the old one. 

Producers often give thier direction or advice on song structures, song ideas, harmonies, ect. They can be involved early on in the writing process or after the songs are written. 

Edited by Order of Nine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And here's a big point that I think is one of the biggest secrets to the success of Guns..

They didn't fall victim to the cliche 80s recording trends and techniques. They kept a great balance between clarity but never went over the top with reverb and the sterile processed sounds that the 80s were infamous for, great live feel without the obvious trappings of a "live" recording. 

That fact alone set them apart from the pack, and it proved to be one of the elements that made that early incarnation of guns a timeless band. 

Production is so crucial to how an album comes across. You can have a great song and if the production is not serving the song or the style then it can actually ruin it. 

And at the end of the day it's still subjective with production, everyone hears differently due to the fact we all have different ear canals. 

Edited by Order of Nine
Spelling
  • Like 3

And I honestly think why so many people couldn't get into Chinese is that it was so detailed, not only with different tracks but with different tones. It was not a cut and dry album where you have the same tones that are the groundwork for the entire album. Each song has a different twist with that, even with the vocals there are things going on that most people probably wouldn't even notice, or care to notice. That CD was honestly approached in a progressive rock way more then anything else. All the "nu metal" analogies are completely off the mark. I really think Axl and company did not care if they alienated any of the old school rock crowd and I think that in itself is hilarious. I'm actually very interested in hearing how the production is approached now that Slash and Duff are back since those two have such an old school method regarding the recording process. 

• Like 2

A record producer's role completely depends on the methodology, expertise and temperament of the producer selected. Their role has also morphed over time: in the beginning of recorded music their role was to simply capture the sound, however as studios increased in importance, becoming an 'instrument' in their own right, greater opportunity for creative employment opened up for record producers.  

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I voted for Clink but then remembered that the production on the UYIs kinda sucked (to be fair, it sounds like that was Axl's fault more than Clink's).

i wouldn't mind if they stuck with Caram for production and Wallace for the mixing again.

TSI sounded great though

Voted for Rubin mixed by Andy Wallace. I think Rubin is the producer who will get the best out of each member. Would be even better with Izzy and Steven involved. 

Forget Mike Clink unless unless it’s the AFD5 only recording. I’m not sure we want to hear a live style recording of Franks drumming. Mike Clink isn’t really a great producer he just in the right place at the right time and was smart enough to record a timeless band exaclty how they sounded without any tinkering.

others: Brendan O’Brien, Caram, Roy T Baker or what about Sean Beavan?

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

The best sounding record any of the GNR members were ever a part of was Libertad. It even sounds better than Appetite. Even Matt's soulless drumming sounds good with Andy Wallace mixing. Brendan O'Brien is the best and most suitable  producer for GNR there is. Him and Andy Wallace are a perfect match. 

Those who don't agree just haven't listened to Libertad as many times as I did and don't know what to focus their attention on. 

Michael Elvis Baskette !! WoF sounds Great, and he made Slash, go for the best performance !! even when Slash thought, he did the best he could. Michael got even a better performance out of him !! Also Slash his tone on WoF , is excellent 

Also his work with Alterbridge, i like very much.

Also i think Mike Clink, is not the man they are looking for. The line, that they have no saying in the arrangement for the new album, triggers me! Because thats the only way, they can record a new album.  

Edited by Robert39
  • Like 2

On 20.1.2018 at 10:03 PM, Derick said:

I have zero knowledge about this production thing..It´s not about creative process on the songs, right? I mean, control over what? Volume level of instruments? Sequence of songs in the album? Or something more focused on the arrangements and stuffs like that? Sorry, I'm completely lost over here!:lol:

Here is some insight from Rick Rubin himself: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/rick-rubin-my-life-in-21-songs-20160211

Say about him what you will, but he is exceptional.

• Thanks 1

In slashs book they wernt impressed because he wasnt very hands on. Rubin usually has half a dozen bands on the go and pops in occasionally to listen gives advice then fucks off. They obviously wanted to go with someone that can give them the time and be hands on.