Tea & Coffee

Sosso

3 hours ago, classicrawker said:

What job did you interview for? Hope they offered you a cup of tea......I have tried  dozens of Earl Grey blends and for me the Taylor's has the perfect balance of tea and bergamot flavour. Really good stuff

It was a design job. They certainly did offer me a cuppa- I stuck with water though. Probably why they didn't offer me the job! 

1 hour ago, classicrawker said:

Not sure it is healthy to feed young children...it can disrupt sleep, cause anxiety in those who are prediposed impact appetite etc.....

Yeah, that's the American in you speaking. I was drinking tea from pretty much as soon as I was able to hold the cup and I've pretty much had 5-6 cups a day ever since.

My Grandma also used to give me a gin and tonic every night before bed from about 7 or 8 years old though so maybe that dealt with the anxiety. :lol:  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Yeah, that's the American in you speaking. I was drinking tea from pretty much as soon as I was able to hold the cup and I've pretty much had 5-6 cups a day ever since.

My Grandma also used to give me a gin and tonic every night before bed from about 7 or 8 years old though so maybe that dealt with the anxiety. :lol:  

Same here as my Grandmother took care of while my parents both worked and I drank tea since birth basically. She used to feed me tea with a spoon before I could hold a cup but that being said I still don't think it is a good idea to feed young children caffeine IMHO........

1 minute ago, classicrawker said:

Same here as my Grandmother took care of while my parents both worked and I drank tea since birth basically. She used to feed me tea with a spoon before I could hold a cup but that being said I still don't think it is a good idea to feed young children caffeine IMHO........

How about gin? :lol:

There's actually very little caffeine in tea anyway. Or rather there is a lot but it doesn't actually end up in the final drink in the way it does with coffee.

On January 22, 2018 at 10:40 AM, James Bond said:

Fresh ground black coffee is a real delight, but in the world of convenience I typically just but whatever is on sale. If I'm out and getting a coffee obviously being Canadian there's a Tim Hortons everywhere but I actually prefer the taste of McDonalds coffee. More flavour, especially black.

I know McDonalds changed their coffee a few years ago.  I thought the old stuff was dreadful.  I haven't tried the newer stuff.  I try not to eat fast food, is it worth the risk of succumbing to temptation to go in and get their coffee?

20 minutes ago, soon said:

I know McDonalds changed their coffee a few years ago.  I thought the old stuff was dreadful.  I haven't tried the newer stuff.  I try not to eat fast food, is it worth the risk of succumbing to temptation to go in and get their coffee?

I would rather go to Dunkin Donuts. Their coffee is very enjoyable too. 

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

I would rather go to Dunkin Donuts. Their coffee is very enjoyable too. 

Dunkin Donuts are going extinct in these parts.  The few remaining are falling apart, under-staffed and often dont have nearly all their baked goods on offer.  

On 1/21/2018 at 5:01 PM, Sosso said:

I haven't saw a thread about that topic yet.

My favourite tea blends are Earl Grey, Orange, Citrus, Chun Mee and Lung Ching.

I like to drink espresso and coffee from vietnam. I wanna try Kona blend soon.

How do you like to drink your tea and/or coffee?

Big fan of coffee and tea. They're the whisky among non-alcoholic drinks really. 

Tea - surprise me. I love really black Yunnon tea. It's very earthy in flavour. I also love Chai Spice. I'm not sure about the English word for it, but one local tea store has the best Rooibos tea I've ever had. It's called "Niet te pruimen". Great mixture of cinamon, prunes, rosepetals, papaya and heaven knows what else. But I try a lot anyway. There's an old church nearby that houses a tea company. They get a lot of herbs from their own garden and you can go there for high tea or lunch. Their tea card has over 250 types of tea which are all for sale in their store. There's even a small museum. Great scones too... I'm getting hungry now. 

As far as coffee goes, I can't say I'm as much of an experienced connoisseur. I love it simple. A good espresso. I know I like Konga from Etheopia and Manhelding from Sumatra. But I wouldn't really know how they compare to a lot of others. I just know I like these bags at the local coffee shop. And despite this being The Netherlands I mean an actual COFFEE shop. Anyway - anything is better than the hateful sludge that drips out of our coffee machines at work. And to think I work in IT.....

Google Maps screenshot of the tea place, I mean, how nice does this look? 

8eQhLbL.jpg 

Edited by username

On 1/21/2018 at 6:46 PM, The Real McCoy said:

I’m a coffee addict, however. At least 3 cups a day.

At one point I eaily drank 10 cups a day at work alone. And that was before we got the horrible sludge machines we have now. I cut back to a max of 3 a day and I feel a lot better. Now I can easily skip coffee for a day without getting a serious headache. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Does that really happen with coffee? A sort of addictive withdrawal symptom? I have never drunk enough of the stuff to fully know.

I am vaguely aware of some guy who used to get the shakes apparently if he did not have a gargantuan amount of coffee.

I was noticably moody, had headaches and had very little energy when I hadn't had my coffee at that time. I imagine it's worse when you do it for a longer periode of time. 

I find it interesting that coffee is perhaps the most common Fair Trade product.  I think the way coffee helps people connect socially gives way to thoughts about connecting with the producers.  Most cafes have at least a fair trade option if not all fair trade.  The description of "Fair Trade, Organic, Shade Grown" is so ubiquitous that I use "shade grown" as a short hand with friends if someone is a little too crunchy granola; they're "shade grown."  But it is basically saying "good for producers, healthier for you, better for the planet."  And I dont see the widespread demand for other products to be those things.  In fact the consumers at the Fair Trade cafes dont seem to think about the fact that the sugar they pour into their coffee isn't fair trade half the time!  Not to mention the mugs, furniture or chocolate on the pastry's isn't fair trade.  Something about the ways coffee brings people together seems to encourage this communal impulse of good will and social responsibility.  Im sure its similar with tea, I just dont know the tea world as much.

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Do all of you guys dunk your biscuits in your tea/coffee? That's UK biscuits not those roll things that you Americans eat.:P

Are these UK biscuit?

JlhqCEDh.jpg

If so, I would dip in a coffee but only ever come across them old folks homes.  Maybe due to the Wars displacing people, but a lot of English culture stuff is more common among older folks around here. Also old people grew up with the Union Jack as their flag until (i think) the 60's.  My Gramma used to order these blue octagon tins of English Biscuits now that I think of it, but I never saw what was inside.

I kinda wanna get some now.  They look good!

• Like 1