Izzy Stradlin' Leaves GnR: A Retrospective (Vintage Quotes 1991-2017)

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Izzy leaving the band has always been clear, I want to know why he isn't part of this so-called reunion in any shape or form. Money can't be the only reason.

An Axl and Slash powerplay would be my guess for why he walked. Just like in 1991. As Slash says multiple times in the above quotes, Izzy doesn't like being dictated to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

M: I felt like I couldn't hear your guitar in the final mix of the "Illusions".

I: Yeah, what happened there? (laughs) They took two years to finish the two records, and at the end I don't even feel like listening to the final product. Not at all! In fact I listened to the records only after the concert at Wembley in August 91, and I freaked out: "Where the hell is my fucking guitar?" It's gone! From there I lost the little interest I had left in the G N' R enterprise. This and the stadium tour!

It seems that the assertion that Izzy doesn't like playing in big stadiums is valid, since he cites that as one of the two final factors that made him lose any interest in GNR.

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

An Axl and Slash powerplay would be my guess for why he walked. Just like in 1991. As Slash says multiple times in the above quotes, Izzy doesn't like being dictated to.

Could be. But I don't understand why he hasn't even made a guest appearance... I'm sure he knows that many fans around the world are waiting to see the AFD lineup on stage together one more time after 28 years. Money and everything else aside, it shouldn't be too difficult to pull that off, even if it is for one song. 

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Could be. But I don't understand why he hasn't even made a guest appearance... I'm sure he knows that many fans around the world are waiting to see the AFD lineup on stage together one more time after 28 years. Money and everything else aside, it shouldn't be too difficult to pull that off, even if it is for one song. 

If you were offered a spot...and pissed about the money you wouldn’t play a guest spot out of principle unless you got terribly overpaid for doing so.

I'm glad that he made guest appearances during the tour in 2006. I'm still listening to that Nightrain live performance at the Download Festival frequently.

Thanks for the collection @RONIN! Great post as always

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

31 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

This band is/was an absolute brainfuck.

One minute they love each other, the next they're back to hating on each other.

I'm glad that stuff is over and that Axl/Slash/Duff all get along.

We like to say Axl is crazy but in the end of the day they were/are all nuts to some level. But who isnt these days?

3 minutes ago, default_ said:

We like to say Axl is crazy but in the end of the day they were/are all nuts to some level. But who isnt these days?

I agree.
I've always said that ... the people in this band (and who have been on GNR) are as strange and dysfunctional as their fans.

I barely followed Guns around the time Izzy left and I didn't really know that much about his contributions. So when he left I was kinda like "Oh whatever, this Gilby guy seems alright". It wasn't until years later that I looked into it and found out what a big deal Izzy really was/is.

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

One thing that always got me is the back and forth and changing of stories as the teller saw fit.

For example it was never a secret Slash had trouble with Izzy being in the band at different points but later Slash made it all like he never felt that way. Izzy even made claims that from day one Slash didn't want him there. Sure they became close at other points but the fact still remains and crept into interviews over the years. 

I think Izzy leaving was a culmination of many things. I think Slash was just as involved as Axl in running the band and decisions being made where later it was mostly shoved on Axl as being the dictator. Many interviews over the years have shown this.

I do believe Axl was genuinely hurt by Izzy leaving and still cares about Izzy.

I belive Izzy being sober and his juggling being on the road and surrounded by all he was avoiding played a huge role.

I also believe because of his being sober he was avoiding many band functions that Axl Slash and others felt he wasn't putting in the same effort.

I feel it was hard for him and don't blame him at all for the decisions he made. I think at the time he felt it was the best decision for him.

What I also believe is that Axl had a valid point in that he was surrounded by junkies overdosing. He needed to protect the band as a whole. Of course his constant lateness didn't go over well with many. 

There's a very telling part where Izzy says he was on the phone with Axl and how Axl was basically saying he was in charge and he also admits Axl was trying to make it good for him as well. He quit the next day. This was in the conversation about the contract. He never went into detail about what Axl offered him there making it good for him as well.

To me it came down to Izzy being sober and being disillusioned with the rock star life and the drugs. He wanted to maintain his sobriety and distanced himself from his band members. Slash and Axl felt he wasn't putting in the work they were. Izzy showed up as needed and likely not more than that. I imagine Izzy felt a disconnect from some of the band as they were getting high and partying while he was sober.

All sides were valid there. Izzys was just more personal. 

Izzy became worried about lawsuits and that fear pushed him to watch money more. He didn't feel the video's should be that expensive. He wanted bare bones when Axl wanted the total vision played out on certain songs. The trilogy as deemed back then told a story and he likely wanted that to reflect in the videos. 

Again both valid points. One side just cost more.

Personally I wouldn't expect less than what we got for videos like November Rain. Those videos are iconic still today. 

I could never see that songs video any other way. The video magnified the song. Don't Cry is the same way. It also was likely a sort of way for Axl to express himself which he needed to do.

Many fans act like all GnR fans don't like UYI but it's actually quite the opposite. The majority like Appetite and the UYI era.

Just as some of the band members disliked the ballads but they are ranked as their top songs. Even people who don't like or know who GnR really is can sing along to most of those ballads.

Axl's vision paid off. Much like Slash claimed to dislike SCoM but people just couldn't get enough of his guitar in it. Personally I think his dislike was rooted in the fact that he played the part originally frustrated with Axl saying the original version was missing something. Axl however liked it and so it stayed. I could be wrong. My opinion.

As a fan rather I understand Izzy's reasons, he left. He negotiated his buyout from the partnership. 

As far as Niven. I honestly see him as many saw Goldstein.  Only he was an Izzy man where as Goldstein was an Axl man.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I barely followed Guns around the time Izzy left and I didn't really know that much about his contributions. So when he left I was kinda like "Oh whatever, this Gilby guy seems alright". It wasn't until years later that I looked into it and found out what a big deal Izzy really was/is.

Reminds me of my daughter. She became a fan of ChiDem. She loves all the albums though.

November Rain inspired her to learn violin and composing. She always tells me how inspiring musically that song and Axl's creative genious is.

She asked me about the Izzy stuff too back when he posted his equal loot comment as she saw a news article. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

yep

if there is any big three at all in GNR then it has got to be izzy, axl and slash

(in no particular order)

remove one and...

"yeah, we're fucked"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tsinindy said:

If you were offered a spot...and pissed about the money you wouldn’t play a guest spot out of principle unless you got terribly overpaid for doing so.

They could do it for the fans for like 5 minutes, but I guess egos don't work that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

There is no big three in GnR, however you put it. They were five and they wrote songs together. I wouldn’t wanna miss Duff’s bass, neither Steven’s drumming. It is those 5 or it’s not Guns n Roses. :shrugs:

True, but they were the main songwriters, and that's probably what he meant. When it comes down to songwriting, Duff probably came right behind Slash, Izzy and Axl.

Edited by EvanG