06/03/18 - Berlin, Germany - Olympiastadion

downzy

I'm always surprised that people who come reguarly to this board are surprised that the first few shows (and especially the first one) are bad - this is more or less a good old gnr tradition. I wouldn't have gone to this show even if i would live in berlin.

The only dissapointment I have is that it seems like that also the technical crew seems to be in auto mode and doesn't really care - I'm pretty sure that sth like this would never have happened on the first european leg and the first euro show with the original 3. Just shows that the excitement of the whole reunion thing has been faded on all sides a little bit.

I'm pretty sure that we will get some good shows in the next weeks (especially in barcelona and NL where I will go) but it's also a good thing that this tour will stop after the short nov leg - I guess it's time for everyone involved to do something fresh und new.

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

And unfounded speculation, because Axl didn't sing Black Hole Sun well the first time either, and that was clearly a song he wanted to sing. He didn't even sing Whole Lotta Rosie very well at some of the GnR shows. And most of all, he hasn't sung his own CD songs well a lot of times.

i am quoting someone who was at the show and posted on this very thread

Before playing Slither -which was a big surprise -  he [Axl] confessed that it was an experiment and perhaps a bad one and "plus today I suck". Which was a quite adequate description for his vocals.

I’m just going to be honest here. Based on people’s reviews plus the videos from YouTube plus the skipping of YCBM I have to say that was not a goodnight for Axl. 

It will likely get better and Axl just faced a rough first night. But at some point I think he needs to admit to needing help and bring back the vocal coach so he can give a $150 ticket performance versus this disasterous opening night of a tour leg. 

Worst song - This I love sounds awful 

Best song - CD sounds good! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Yeah I watched a few videos and you can hear his mic cutting in and out but as well i think he was sick coz he missed parts in alot of songs sang TIL in a lower key before slash solo and doesnt do the scream at the end of scom missed parts in civil war and wttj. Thats why i reckon they skipped YCBM.

My problem with Axl being sick is it's a boy who cried wolf situation. If the GNR camp hadn't wheeled that excuse out whenever they felt like it in the past, more people would be forgiving when it actually happens. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Before playing Slither -which was a big surprise -  he [Axl] confessed that it was an experiment and perhaps a bad one and "plus today I suck". Which was a quite adequate description for his vocals.

He said the same as the bolded when they played I Feel Good for the first time. He usually says that when they try something new.

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i think it was worse than that

axl deliberately chose to NOT sing the song the way it was recorded

instead, he chose to sing it in a completely different way that absolutely did not fit the song

not only that but he sounded like a zombie singing it, moved like a zombie, made it look like he didnt really want to be singing it at all

it was horrible to listen and to watch, and it seemed very disrespectful if you ask me

Are you implying that he has a particular hate for the song and that he deliberately sung it like shit so they will not ask him to ever sing it again? :lol:

Well, I'd believe that if it wasn't that he sung most of the songs as shit and skipped many that are regulars on the setlist.

I don't think he will sing the song the way it was recorded. Do not expect that from him. It seems to me that Axl can't cover any grunge singer or sing any song by a grunge singer. As much as he wanted to be part of that, he just can't be. 'Black Hole Sun' was also ruined by his Mickey, he never sung it cool or "the way it is". 

It seems like Axl doesn't have anyone guiding his choices, no one telling him his approach of a song he doesn't know or hasn't played before is just bad. I don't like what he did to 'Slither', no power in his vocals, no punch, a dying cat with those awful "ey"... Didn't Duff originally sing those?

Last year we went through the same cycle: hoping the song would get better and that Axl would get better but it never happened. He kept sounding like shit until last day :shrugs:

While it was executed poorly by Axl, I actually like the arrangement they have going on the chorus in Slither. If he can get some rasp going there I reckon it'll sound great. On the verses he needs to stop stuffing around and just sing them like they're meant to be sung though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -Jaro- said:

after seeing this - Slither performance was kick-ass...

Jesus fucking monkey balls. That was cringeworthy. He's sounded shit on TIL since 2011, never understood why he insists on still performing it. But this performance is a new low.

Edited by Towelie
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Jesus fucking monkey balls. That was cringeworthy. He's sounded shit on TIL since 2011, never understood why he insists on still performing it. But this performance is a new low.

really was dreadful, and I'm a defender of Axls vocals usually. Between that, a real shoddy Civil War and a terrible mess of a Nightrain, it was a real poor showing. Let's see what happens in a few days time.

37 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My problem with Axl being sick is it's a boy who cried wolf situation. If the GNR camp hadn't wheeled that excuse out whenever they felt like it in the past, more people would be forgiving when it actually happens. 

He didn't seem ill the day before the show. But just for the sake of argument lets say he was sick. His health is his respossibility. If he knows he can catch a cold rather easy. Well it's him who has to make sure that nothing bad happens.

7 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I really have to ask the question, whats takos background and how does she afford to tour with the band. Is she a trust fund kid but then she looks close to 40-45 of age......thought she maybe a poster here....not bagging her as if i coukd id like to tour with the band taking their pictures to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Padme said:

He didn't seem ill the day before the show. But just for the sake of argument lets say he was sick. His health is his respossibility. If he knows he can catch a cold rather easy. Well it's him who has to make sure that nothing bad happens.

Well, you can't help getting sick, not sure what you expect him to do if he really was sick.

BUT as @RussTCB said above, if he didn't have a habit of being woefully underprepared for the first show of a tour then maybe fans and keyboard warriors such as ourselves would cut him a bit of slack. I'm sceptical that he was sick at all, he just doesn't bother to practise in his down time and he keeps coming back worse than ever. This performance makes Rock In Rio 2011 look okay. The older he gets, the worse its going to be if he doesn't practise. I take singing lessons myself and if I go two weeks without singing sometimes I can try and sing something and it just ain't working. My throat closes up and it sounds forced and constricted. If I practise 4-5 a week I sound fine and hit the notes with ease. It isn't rocket science, the vocal folds are a muscle and if you don't use it, you lose it.

Just a reminder of how TIL sounded in 2010. I've seen so many ropey performances from Axl of this song now, I've started to dread watching it. I checked this out earlier just to remind myself of what it sounded like when he put in the effort. Compare this to any TIL from 2014-2018 and it's like night and day:

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

this show that Axl know when he not sing good, and he not listen just his yes-men like you said in you post.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Look on the bright side guys, at this rate at the 2023 Not In This Lifetime tour’s 18th leg’s horrendous start Axl might finally realize he needs to prepare or get a vocal coach!

I wonder if we will see the 20th anniversary of NITL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, God of Thunder said:

My take from Berlin (FOS 1; Duff side):

The show started really early at around 7:20 in order to meet the e 10 pm curfew (which is ridiculous). The first couple of songs were really bad soundwise, one could hardly hear Axl, whole lines one would hear nothing. Mid show it got better and towards the end it was very bad again. Almost like his mic was not even on at times. Before playing Slither -which was a big surprise -  he confessed that it was an experiment and perhaps a bad one and "plus today I suck". Which was a quite adequate description for his vocals. After November Rain, he complained "that was an interesting experience, like playing underwater...you know what that sounds like!?" So also troubles with his in ear monitors. My take is that he was too lazy to practice and a really bad day for the sound engineer and the bad acoustics in the stadium. But it was definetely not Axl`s day - there is no way of making excuses here - when Duff sang he sounded much better and clearer than Axl. Never heard them play "Wichita Lineman" before, so that was kind of a nice surprise.

Audience was actually quite alright, there several small moshpits on our side. Overall I think most people enjoyed the show, as Slash, Richard and Duff were saving the day. Most reviews here were also quite good; all mentioning the bad sound and that Axl had some troubles, but all in all they agree it was an enjoyable show. Except the German "Bild" Zeitung, they gave a really bad review - mainly about Axl. Personally I think it was not as bad as they wrote it.

Think it will improve as the tour goes on.

The "SPIEGEL" killed yesterdays show as well. I was there, FOS 1 Duff side too, good sound, but a lot of "holes" in Axls voice. Audience was okay, i had fun and 2,5h are long enough for a concert. I never liked Coma ;)

46 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well, you can't help getting sick, not sure what you expect him to do if he really was sick.

There are doctors and there is medication. Does he bring a doctor to the tours? Maybe he should. I think the habit problem is his life style. Not showing up a rehearsal may add fuel to the fire. But they play the same set list anyway. It was just one song he really needed to spend time rehearsing. He probably did it.

• Like 1