06/06/18 - Odense, Denmark - Dyrskuepladsen

downzy

14 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Sound check, rehearsal, and vocal exercising/training are 3 different things, you’re confusing them. Also, he was there yesterday afaik. 
Anyway, the fact whether or not he comes to a sound check does not affect his vocal performance very much – that depends (among other things, of course) on him exercising, which is done in privacy (he’s also talked about warm-ups etc). You don’t seriously think that having sung 3 songs on an empty stage a few hours before a show can significantly change his vocal performance for the night, do you? 

No I dont. You're right. I just think that after such a ( let's put it bluntly ) weak performance on Sunday he should be soundchecking with the guys. Maybe I was a bit too negative, but am worried bout my gig in july that's all. And that's why that post was so harsh i guess. Anyway we'll see if he improved for today :)

3 hours ago, THELINESMAN said:

...GNR songs are some of the hardest songs to sing ever. 

I'm a vocalist (amateur) but i don't think GNR Songs are thr hardest. Okay some Chinese Stuff but overall it's really simple

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

I'm a vocalist (amateur) but i don't think GNR Songs are thr hardest. Okay some Chinese Stuff but overall it's really simple

I am too! But I can literally only get through like one or two songs (Jungle and YCBM) with the same amount of volume and rasp as Axl before I lose my voice/start cracking/shaking. Am I doing something wrong? I only practise once a week. I always thought you have to practice like at least every other day to build muscle so your voice can hold notes in songs like YCBM with such amount of rasp without faltering. I can sing them clean no problem, it's the power/volume with rasp that is hard. 

Just now, THELINESMAN said:

I am too! But I can literally only get through like one or two songs (Jungle and YCBM) with the same amount of volume and rasp as Axl before I lose my voice/start cracking/shaking. Am I doing something wrong? I only practise once a week. I always thought you have to practice like at least every other day to build muscle so your voice can hold notes in songs like YCBM with such amount of rasp without faltering. I can sing them clean no problem, it's the power/volume with rasp that is hard. 

I cannot reach the sound of that rasp, so I sing them clean

• Like 1

4 hours ago, THELINESMAN said:

Axl's vocals sounded like he had a cold/sore throat in Berlin, like at the Bridge School Benefit concert. That combined with not being able to hear himself properly/shouting to try and hear himself contributed to the over distortion resulting in cracks/dropping high notes. If he still has a cold he won't be much better tonight. But hopefully by Download cold/throat problems will have gone and he will be on top form again with something to prove. That's the kindest interpretation. The worst is that he either hasn't rehearsed for a while so his vocal muscles aren't used to hitting those high notes any more or he has worn his voice out with the epic power vocals he used in AC/DC and needs a good rest. I hope it's just a cold and that tonight he will kick ass! Either way, GNR songs are some of the hardest songs to sing ever. 

I bolded out a bit you said...How long is a "good rest"...I mean over 6 months seems a long time! At least long enough of a rest to give ONE good show on your return, so it's not that...Axl was very tired by the end of last November but he still would of given a far better performance that he did in Germany, after playing a whole year of shows...
It's all about preparation and warm ups...

Edited by colonizedmind

32 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

The most important thing is to prepare. Breathing exercises and easy singing exercises. Sing the scales up and down. Start every day with a simple song. KOHD or Patience.

To use rasp like Axl Rose it's sience. That's hard to explain. The voice must not be hard pressed. Sing "Ahhh" and press the palate closer step by step. I'm not a singing teacher and I was not at any of them. Hard to explain

I started singing in 2004 and I only started singing in 2010 with a scratchy voice and rasp. I don't sound like Axl Rose, my voice is like more Bret Michaels
. That's nature.. you can't copy Axl Rose 1:1.

One thing that Axl Rose makes a good singer in 1986 - 1987. He was in a choir and you can hear awesome high notes in Marquee '87 with a perfect use of rasp. Later he used more pressed rasp and that damaged his voice in 1988

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

I'm not even an amateur vocalist (more of a "nobodys home lets go for it") and I also find most of them are easy to sing.

I find Aerosmith songs for example much harder, where many say they are the easiest to sing.

EDIT: I also use my own version of "rasp" which doesn't work every day, just on some. Weird. When it's not working it's more like Berlin Axl lol

Edited by TheGeneral

2 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

I'm not even an amateur vocalist (more of a "nobodys home lets go for it") and I also find most of them are easy to sing.

I find Aerosmith songs for example much harder, where many say they are the easiest to sing.

Upload some of your singing 😊 

• Haha 1