06/12/18 - Gelsenkirchen, Germany - Veltins Arena

downzy

1 minute ago, t-p-d-a said:

it's just me or looks Axl Rose fatter with hat? in the Slither video he looks in a great shape.. but in the Don't Cry / Yesterdays Video he looks fatter.. Sorry for the word "fat" i don't know a nice word of "more weight" in english. I'm german

Say big

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

it's just me or looks Axl Rose fatter with hat? in the Slither video he looks in a great shape.. but in the Don't Cry / Yesterdays Video he looks fatter.. Sorry for the word "fat" i don't know a nice word of "more weight" in english. I'm german

Rotund. 

• Like 1

On 2018-06-13 at 7:46 AM, IncitingChaos said:

I don’t understand that last part? Are you saying Dirty Deeds should be difficult for him to sing and he can’t pull it off? Or are you saying it’s easier for him? 

i think at some point the realization hits that ACDC tracks are not in this Goldilocks  range for Axl. You’re talking about covering two singers with a setlist that spanned 6+ albums and so the understanding should be that Axl simply put in more work and got more out of himself playing with ACDC. I don’t buy into this idea that Axl’s voice is so sensitive that a note higher or lower can cause the change from mickey to classic Axl. 

But come to the wonderful vocal thread if you’d like to see or hear more comparisons! 

Listen to the chorus when he sings "dirty deeds" every second time. That line goes in pretty much the same tune as ycbm. And... there's Mickey.

On 2018-06-13 at 5:09 PM, nikothebellic said:

Well, I am not "believing", it's a fact, maybe not so famous, but Izzy Stradlin always wished that GNR remained a "club" band, and not a stadium/arena band. Also, he was always in some way an aloof member of the band as well as the most fastidious - partly he has left the band because of delays, mayhem and other brutal stuff of typical GNR in 90s. That's why Axl often reffers as "Izzy it's Izzy", as well as in 90s he mentioned something like "We wouldn't be here if Izzy was here" - because they literally would have avoided these "big gigs shit", if Izzy stayed. Probably, he was ready to participate in the reunion, but only for a bigger money stake than he was offered. He also said the same in 90's after leaving the band - about not equal loot sharing. Well, Izzy remained Izzy. And, well, with all do respect to Izzy, GNR is far from "Izzy and others". For sure, Stradlin is a crucial part of GnR story, but yet again, most of the UYI tour was made with Gilby Clark  or, for instance, Dizzy Reed was even more loyal to the band. And choosing beetween Dizzy and Izzy I would think twice as Mr. Reed is much more consistent. The thing is, if Izzy wanted to be paid as much as Duff or even Slash, well, he's out of his mind. He left by himself and demanded too much after all. So, I do not see any unfairness in this story with Izzy and reunion.  

Yes, that's the original explanation I've heard. He didn't want to tour and being a part of the giant guns n roses had become. I'm 100% sure he said it himself in the mid '90s and was the main reason he dropped the UYI tour. 

When Axl formed his new gnr the explanations why Izzy left changed among "reunion fans" to fit the picture of Axl as a band dictator and such. It was because of Axl. But one more thing I'm 100% sure Izzy said is that Slash was drowning Izzys guitar with way too high volume and lowered Izzys volume on the sly during concerts..

Axl wanted gnr to be as big as possible, and I think that's the main surface of friction between Axl and Izzy. They had totally opposite visions of the band. 

42 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Listen to the chorus when he sings "dirty deeds" every second time. That line goes in pretty much the same tune as ycbm. And... there's Mickey.

Ok, but you’re reaching here. Do you doubt he could rasp that if he wanted to? He uses rasp on the same two words 15 times in the song. YCBM people feel he physically can’t do anymore, Dirty Deeds he chooses to do that part that way. I don’t have a problem with his mickey voice, he can use it all he wants as long as there’s an understanding that he can sing it better if he needs to. 

So for example if he mickeyd everything in 2017 then showed up to Rio and just went all out sounding like 2010 Axl then that would be perfect! If he knows it’s being filmed and it’s a big show and he can perform then I’m fine with him being conservative at the other shows Bc the fans don’t seem to care.

but more on point I don’t see him using mickey on two words in a song during a chorus with multiple people singing as a detriment to the song like his mickey voice is a detriment to YCBM. 

On 2018-06-13 at 5:09 PM, nikothebellic said:

Well, I am not "believing", it's a fact, maybe not so famous, but Izzy Stradlin always wished that GNR remained a "club" band, and not a stadium/arena band. Also, he was always in some way an aloof member of the band as well as the most fastidious - partly he has left the band because of delays, mayhem and other brutal stuff of typical GNR in 90s. That's why Axl often reffers as "Izzy it's Izzy", as well as in 90s he mentioned something like "We wouldn't be here if Izzy was here" - because they literally would have avoided these "big gigs shit", if Izzy stayed. Probably, he was ready to participate in the reunion, but only for a bigger money stake than he was offered. He also said the same in 90's after leaving the band - about not equal loot sharing. Well, Izzy remained Izzy. And, well, with all do respect to Izzy, GNR is far from "Izzy and others". For sure, Stradlin is a crucial part of GnR story, but yet again, most of the UYI tour was made with Gilby Clark  or, for instance, Dizzy Reed was even more loyal to the band. And choosing beetween Dizzy and Izzy I would think twice as Mr. Reed is much more consistent. The thing is, if Izzy wanted to be paid as much as Duff or even Slash, well, he's out of his mind. He left by himself and demanded too much after all. So, I do not see any unfairness in this story with Izzy and reunion.  

Yes, that's the original explanation I've heard. He didn't want to tour and being a part of the giant guns n roses had become. I'm 100% sure he said it himself in the mid '90s and was the main reason he dropped the UYI tour. 

When Axl formed his new gnr the explanations why Izzy left changed among "reunion fans" to fit the picture of Axl as a band dictator and such. It was because of Axl. But one more thing I'm 100% sure Izzy said is that Slash was drowning Izzys guitar with way too high volume and lowered Izzys volume on the sly during concerts..

Axl wanted gnr to be as big as possible, and I think that's the main surface of friction between Axl and Izzy. They had totally opposite visions of the band. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

but more on point I don’t see him using mickey on two words in a song during a chorus with multiple people singing as a detriment to the song like his mickey voice is a detriment to YCBM. 

I think you miss my point. Of course those two words doesn't matter for the experience. My point was that he also use Mickey with acdc, but the song only demands two words of it.

But as you said.. I agree that he CAN do more rasp. But referring to ac/dc makes your point weak of said reasons. Just listen to the sing a long part on KOHD where he sing the last "knock knock knocking on heavens doooooOoor" and start lower in tune but powerful with full rasp.. in a tune where he mostly use Mickey nowadays..

Edit

6:42 

Btw, here below we can hear him doing just small sections of Mickey

..but overall he sings yesterday way better than any 2017 version. When he start sounding good  in mid tune songs like yesterday's, we should be hopeful.

And I don't need him to sing any better than this and nor do probably 95% of the ppl attending to the actual concerts. 

Edited by shootingstar

• 1 month later...
On 14.6.2018 at 7:57 AM, TheDemocracyRose said:

Any review's from media??

It's helpful to understand German for these … :blink:

https://www.laut.de/News/Metalsplitter-Guns-N-Roses-versoehnen-Fans-13-06-2018-14817/Seite-4
Guns N' Roses versöhnen Fans

Gelsenkirchen with better sound and longer show than Berlin.

https://www.rollingstone.de/guns-nroses-gelsenkirchen-sound-1513985/

Guns N’ Roses in Gelsenkirchen: Schon wieder fluchen Fans wegen des Sounds

Sound in Gelsenkirchen is not the best, guitar too loud, vocals too low, gets better after an hour, show is great.

https://www.derwesten.de/staedte/gelsenkirchen/guns-n-roses-veltins-arena-auftritt-gelsenkirchen-konzert-not-in-this-lifetime-tour-axl-rose-slash-id214562711.html

Jürgen von Polier: Guns N' Roses in der Veltins-Arena – So war das Konzert in Gelsenkirchen

41,520 visitors in the arena, crowd throws a fit during popular songs, great Slash' solos, Axl doing fine during falsetto and low notes, band in top form, virtuoso.

https://www1.wdr.de/radio/wdr2/musik/konzerte/guns-n-roses-112.html

Cara Wolff: Guns n' Roses in Gelsenkirchen: Eine starke Rückkehr

Strong reunion, show starts exceedingly on time, band in good temper, performance of impressive easiness, each one of them is in top form, Axl hits high notes.

https://www.waz.de/kultur/musik/guns-n-roses-enttaeuscht-bei-konzert-in-gelsenkirchen-id214565789.html

Sebastian Konopka: Guns n' Roses enttäuscht in Gelsenkirchen - Warum wir kein Foto zeigen

Bad sound and mood, though sound is improved after 1 h the band does nothing to keep up the crowd's mood, every popular song is followed either by a stinker off the latest album CD, endless instrumental tootling or a dispensable cover song, Axl's voice is comparatively good, but he seems to be absent, Slash is the one responsible for visual and acoustic gestures.

[I think this review is extra negative because their photographer was not accredited for the show, which is stated as "restriction of freedom of the press". But hey, that's only my opinion.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2