06/24/18 - Mannheim, Germany - Maimarktgelände

downzy

2 hours ago, Billly B said:

I believe that parts of Slither were written for GNR if I remember  correctly. Slash had the riffs to the song in place and Axl rejected it because it was too Appetite for Destruction. Yes the song was finished with/ for Scott.

I think its more UYI. In my opinion the chorus reminds me of the chorus on civil war. 

Oh, I have a weak memory that Axl actually on the contrary said HE wanted a more AFD like album after UYIs when he appeared here on this forum years ago, or maby in his "official letter"? But can be wrong.

2 hours ago, God of Thunder said:

There is a pretty good review about the Mannheim Show in Germany`s biggest quality newspaper  that I think is pretty much spot on and could have been written by the forum users:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/pop/guns-n-roses-in-mannheim-die-maschine-laeuft-und-laeuft-15658542.html

The Machine runs and runs and runs

They pretty much state that GnR are not the most dangerous band in the world anymore, but aged (well) and play their set like a well oiled machine while fulfilling all possible cheesy cliches of Rock. However they are entitled to all those cliches because they invented them :) 

Best parts:

"There is a lot of value for money, no doubt. The band runs like a clockwork nowadays. All the hits, on time, without any escapades. That is not quite art, but it is craftmansship on its highest level. Rose is in very good shape this evening, no comparison to other commercially succesful stadium rockers of that era - such as Bon Jovi who can hardly sing his songs anymore and leaves all the high passages to his new guitarist Phil X and his band. Rose instead still gets all the high notes, although his stamina lacks a little bit in the last 20 minutes.  However that would have happened to any mid twenties guy as well after 3.5 hours on a  stage this size.  Despite a big starting mistake in the Soundgarden cover "Black Hole Sun" Rose is miles better than 10 or 15 years ago. Overall the band plays right on point - no comparison to the heavily criticized first German concert in Berlin a few weeks ago."

"For all those that follow the band for the past years and decades the surprise moments .... are missing. The songs remain exactly the same, only rearranged in details. Slash delivers - as common now for decades - his Instrumental from the Godfather, Sweet Child of Mine follows. At the end Paradise City, Pyros, Fireworks, golden rain. The band pulls all rockstar registers, playing the expected and exactly that what the fans want."

"What stays is a mixed picture: on one hand GnR celebrate - by the standards of this genre - a fantastic show - on the other hand they now solely administer their grand heritage; lastly to make their myth after years of silence between Axl and Slash into solid money again. One could hardly say anything against that, the running tour already belongs to the commercially most succesful tours of all times. But the question remains open, if one can expect - except for marketing and craftmanship - something artistic. Is the sole provision of a service sufficient?"

" A lot of fans are upset on the internet that the band squeezed everything from their legendary name but does not announce anything new. With knowledge of the years long fights and the difficult character of Axl Rose one can hardly believe that new material is coming - also considering that the musicians on stage interact little with each other. Are they going for a beer together after the shows? Hard to imagine, rather they speed away in separate limousines in separate hotel rooms. Would a joint studio session even be thinkable? At least it can be wished for that they interpret their old music in a new way to shake the most conservative hard rock fans to the core. Most likely those may not want that, but conservatives are like that..."

" What remains till eternity is the glorious musical simplicity of a band that does not need to stay away from any clichees, as they invented all of them. .....In so far it is a unique position in rockstar heaven to perform a cover version from Pink Floyd`s "Wish you were here", where Slash and Fortus duel each other musically. Where the hell do you get that? These are ideas of school bands, in music university you would be laughed at. But: Guns n Roses can do that.

"Whatever, would Slash most likely answer: The things that this man - that of course did not get rid of sunglasses or top hat for 3.5 hours - delivers, is more than guitar playing. It is the esseence in itself of being a rockstar.......Even if rock music should be dead one day, Slash will still be standing in the fires of hell and cooly play the guitar solo of " Don`t cry" to its end, throwing the Gibson into the fire and then picking up the double neck guitar an exhausted roadie hands him. Just because of this, the fans are coming. Today and most likely also in the future."

What great and deep review!!! Great journalist!!👏

5 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I think its more UYI. In my opinion the chorus reminds me of the chorus on civil war. 

Oh, I have a weak memory that Axl actually on the contrary said HE wanted a more AFD like album after UYIs when he appeared here on this forum years ago, or maby in his "official letter"? But can be wrong.

He said he eventually decided that in order for the band to move forward he was willing to make a more AFD styled album, putting his more ambitious album idea on the shelf.

He initially didn't want to make that type of record and that's why the snakepit record was rejected... That and the material wasn't strong enough at that time (in his or Duff's opinion) and they wanted to rewrite/rearrange parts but were apparently shot down... As Slash considered it almost finished piece that just needed vocals. 

4 hours ago, God of Thunder said:

There is a pretty good review about the Mannheim Show in Germany`s biggest quality newspaper  that I think is pretty much spot on and could have been written by the forum users:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/pop/guns-n-roses-in-mannheim-die-maschine-laeuft-und-laeuft-15658542.html

The Machine runs and runs and runs

They pretty much state that GnR are not the most dangerous band in the world anymore, but aged (well) and play their set like a well oiled machine while fulfilling all possible cheesy cliches of Rock. However they are entitled to all those cliches because they invented them :) 

Best parts:

"There is a lot of value for money, no doubt. The band runs like a clockwork nowadays. All the hits, on time, without any escapades. That is not quite art, but it is craftmansship on its highest level. Rose is in very good shape this evening, no comparison to other commercially succesful stadium rockers of that era - such as Bon Jovi who can hardly sing his songs anymore and leaves all the high passages to his new guitarist Phil X and his band. Rose instead still gets all the high notes, although his stamina lacks a little bit in the last 20 minutes.  However that would have happened to any mid twenties guy as well after 3.5 hours on a  stage this size.  Despite a big starting mistake in the Soundgarden cover "Black Hole Sun" Rose is miles better than 10 or 15 years ago. Overall the band plays right on point - no comparison to the heavily criticized first German concert in Berlin a few weeks ago."

"For all those that follow the band for the past years and decades the surprise moments .... are missing. The songs remain exactly the same, only rearranged in details. Slash delivers - as common now for decades - his Instrumental from the Godfather, Sweet Child of Mine follows. At the end Paradise City, Pyros, Fireworks, golden rain. The band pulls all rockstar registers, playing the expected and exactly that what the fans want."

"What stays is a mixed picture: on one hand GnR celebrate - by the standards of this genre - a fantastic show - on the other hand they now solely administer their grand heritage; lastly to make their myth after years of silence between Axl and Slash into solid money again. One could hardly say anything against that, the running tour already belongs to the commercially most succesful tours of all times. But the question remains open, if one can expect - except for marketing and craftmanship - something artistic. Is the sole provision of a service sufficient?"

" A lot of fans are upset on the internet that the band squeezed everything from their legendary name but does not announce anything new. With knowledge of the years long fights and the difficult character of Axl Rose one can hardly believe that new material is coming - also considering that the musicians on stage interact little with each other. Are they going for a beer together after the shows? Hard to imagine, rather they speed away in separate limousines in separate hotel rooms. Would a joint studio session even be thinkable? At least it can be wished for that they interpret their old music in a new way to shake the most conservative hard rock fans to the core. Most likely those may not want that, but conservatives are like that..."

" What remains till eternity is the glorious musical simplicity of a band that does not need to stay away from any clichees, as they invented all of them. .....In so far it is a unique position in rockstar heaven to perform a cover version from Pink Floyd`s "Wish you were here", where Slash and Fortus duel each other musically. Where the hell do you get that? These are ideas of school bands, in music university you would be laughed at. But: Guns n Roses can do that.

"Whatever, would Slash most likely answer: The things that this man - that of course did not get rid of sunglasses or top hat for 3.5 hours - delivers, is more than guitar playing. It is the esseence in itself of being a rockstar.......Even if rock music should be dead one day, Slash will still be standing in the fires of hell and cooly play the guitar solo of " Don`t cry" to its end, throwing the Gibson into the fire and then picking up the double neck guitar an exhausted roadie hands him. Just because of this, the fans are coming. Today and most likely also in the future."

Some fair points. I don't think it's overly critical or anything. Quite nice actually. 

Lucky they had a good day because that reviewer had the tools sharpened if it was anything but great.

Cut the waffle, and some variation is the synopsis. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

He said he eventually decided that in order for the band to move forward he was willing to make a more AFD styled album, putting his more ambitious album idea on the shelf.

He initially didn't want to make that type of record and that's why the snakepit record was rejected... That and the material wasn't strong enough at that time (in his or Duff's opinion) and they wanted to rewrite/rearrange parts but were apparently shot down... As Slash considered it almost finished piece that just needed vocals. 

Thank you, well summarised. But I wouldn't classify the snakepit album as appatite style either. The fact alone that Axl partly rejected the snakepit material isn't a reason enough to conclude that Axl didn't want an Afd style record.

And between the lines of what we know happened, the main reason why snakepit was denied was probably because Slash shut the door for creative input from Axl and Duff.

9 hours ago, Billly B said:

I believe that parts of Slither were written for GNR if I remember  correctly. Slash had the riffs to the song in place and Axl rejected it because it was too Appetite for Destruction. Yes the song was finished with/ for Scott.

You remember wrong and read some bs somewhere: Slash confirms here what I wrote earlier and also says the band didn't even work on the song even after he wrote that riff, until he told them several times that it's really good. The only known music that ended up on Contraband from the GNR days is Fall To Pieces. The only material Axl "rejected" was the Snakepit songs, with the "Jizz Da Pit" riff being too "redneck".

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

15 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Thank you, well summarised. But I wouldn't classify the snakepit album as appatite style either. The fact alone that Axl partly rejected the snakepit material isn't a reason enough to conclude that Axl didn't want an Afd style record.

And between the lines of what we know happened, the main reason why snakepit was denied was probably because Slash shut the door for creative input from Axl and Duff.

I agree, it's a closer continuation of the funkier sides of UYI