Jack White - Boarding House Reach - Thoughts & Opinions?

RussTCB

Jack Whites third solo album, Boarding House Reach was released this past Friday to a ton of critical acclaim. 

I've only been able to listen to it straight through twice with the addition of listening to several cuts additionally on their own. 

I'm not sure what to make of the album yet which is odd for me. Usually I take a liking to his tunes and full albums immediately but this is just different enough to where I'm not sure what to think yet. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the album yet? 

I really dig it. It's obviously very different for him overall with a few tracks being sort of  "classic but modern jack" in a way.

I think the jam songs and experimental stuff are really cool. I always like his instrumental tracks (high ball stepper, battle cry, etc) so the long jams with changes in styles and tempos are super welcome to me. Seeing a lot of the tracks live last week in Nashville and LA also sort of had me prepared for the departure in style overall.

Is it up there with his last two solo efforts? No but I think it's sort of to the side of them. Years down the road, I feel it'll be that one weird album Jack made when he wanted to try something new...maybe in the way we view Satanic Majestie's Request (just less acid induced). Is it one of the Stones best albums? No but it sure has its place in their history and there's some really great tracks on there and then some others that are just as great depending on your mood.

9 hours ago, Mansin Humanity said:

I've only been able to listen to it once through (plus I've been listening to the singles since they got put out) and I'm more intrigued than anything. Historically, that means eventually I'll love it.

I'm usually that way too, not sure how it'll go with this one though.

6 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

I really dig it. It's obviously very different for him overall with a few tracks being sort of  "classic but modern jack" in a way.

I think the jam songs and experimental stuff are really cool. I always like his instrumental tracks (high ball stepper, battle cry, etc) so the long jams with changes in styles and tempos are super welcome to me. Seeing a lot of the tracks live last week in Nashville and LA also sort of had me prepared for the departure in style overall.

Is it up there with his last two solo efforts? No but I think it's sort of to the side of them. Years down the road, I feel it'll be that one weird album Jack made when he wanted to try something new...maybe in the way we view Satanic Majestie's Request (just less acid induced). Is it one of the Stones best albums? No but it sure has its place in their history and there's some really great tracks on there and then some others that are just as great depending on your mood.

I agree that it's not better than the previous but at this point I'm not sure I even view it as equal with them. I'm kind of hoping this is a phase like you're mentioning here. I absolutely love pre-Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd overall but there are some really bad ideas in that mix. The good ideas were built upon though, so that's what I'm hoping happens here. 

I've got a really busy couple of days at work but then I've got a 3+ hour drive on Wednesday so I'm going to listen to it a couple more times straight through and see what happens.

The way I see it, this is not a "songwriting" album as it is more of a "take it all in" album sonically and musically and I really like that.  It is full of jams, cool instrumentation, and it is fun sounding.  I like the departure from the norm, and I dig how daring it is because it would have been very easy just to do the same thing he has been doing the past few years

Like the posters above said, I definitely feel like this is more of just a phase for Jack that he felt like trying out

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I don't like it at all. I've listened to it a few times now and I don't feel like any song is an actual song, they all sound like a mess to me. 

I'm more with this. I get experimenting and all that jazz, more power to him for trying different things and doing whatever. A lot of interesting stuff on there. But at the end of the day I need to be able to jam to it. 

12 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I'm more with this. I get experimenting and all that jazz, more power to him for trying different things and doing whatever. A lot of interesting stuff on there. But at the end of the day I need to be able to jam to it. 

There's too many bleeps and farts on this album :lol:

• Haha 1

I hear the complaints but what's weird for me is that I'm getting the experimental stuff stuck in my head. To me, that means he's onto something overall. Again, this is after a few listens. I may go way one way or the other with it after a few more listens.

45 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I hear the complaints but what's weird for me is that I'm getting the experimental stuff stuck in my head. To me, that means he's onto something overall. Again, this is after a few listens. I may go way one way or the other with it after a few more listens.

I am with you on this one!  I don't know if I would consider this album better than his previous two solo albums, however it is totally different and weird as hell and I dig its strangeness haha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw him spur of the moment in Detroit. I dont know any of the new stuff but i dug it live. Really trippy!

I had no clue what to expect. Blunderbuss was the last solo Back I really heard so I was guessing itd be more Americana and acoustic. Nope. Straight up rock show. 

It was great, though. My first time seeing him in any capacity and I quite enjoyed it. He even brought his mom on stage forba song 

On 3/28/2018 at 5:59 PM, RussTCB said:

This is going the wrong way for me. The more I listen to the album, the less I like it :/

I totally get that, all in all even though I dig this album, Blunderbuss and Lazretto made more of a lasting impression on me and those are albums I will probably go back to more frequently

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know why he jumped off the stage in St Louis and went into the audience to speak to somebody?  A little after that someone with an emergency light went to that same area.  

I enjoyed the show.  I'm not really familiar with his music except what was on the new cd.  He played 4 songs off of it.