Appetite for Distortion Ep. 54 - Roberta Freeman

43 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

I get it, I know many GNR fans don't like what he does, and I respect all of you and your opinions. We are a super passionate bunch. And honestly it's not my preferred style (the clickbait), and he knows that (and will probably read this...hi Brett).

I will say that since my London Hudson interview where he took the Chinese Democracy comments out of context in the headline (which are no longer there), his treatment of my interviews have been great. We spoke. Nothing taken out of context or misleading. He has always given me credit and links to my episodes, which I cannot say for all outlets...including some GNR sites which really has pissed me off. Without him transcribing my interviews, other sites like Blabbermouth and Ultimate Classic Rock probably would not have noticed me. So I have thank him and give him credit for taking the time to listen/transcribe. Especially on the Alan Niven interview, including the words from Alan "this is just a hypothetical" when referring to Izzy's feelings. That could have easily been a chance for him to make it really negative.

After his print interview with D'arcy from the Pumpkins, I reached out curiously why he didn't do it in podcast form. We spoke at length after that and I learned a lot more about him as a person. There will be a time when he comes on my show to address all of this.

I just want all of you to know that nothing changes on my end. The respect and honesty I give to my guests and all of you. I am just excited to have more eyes on my show which hopefully will lead to bigger and better guests for all of us to enjoy. I've been very lucky and overwhelmed with what I've been able to do thus far, but I have bigger goals. To keep doing the podcast, which I do for free, I'd love to gain sponsorship. That will only come if my audience continues to grow. His platform will help with that. And his plan of growing a AN podcast network could be very exciting for all rock fans. Believe it or not, like him or not, he does have some very cool ideas for the future.

I get your point, and if it's a good business arrangement for you then that's obviously a good thing. I don't even mind the super click bait type headlines, it's the quotes from the forum that bugged me. I have read some alright write ups on AN though, so it's not all good or bad.

I do however question why we're patting anyone on the back for correctly quoting someone? I mean, I know it's not always the norm with media outlets, but it is the job of a journalist to supply the correct context and quotation; and when we're talking about a clearly recorded 1-3hr long interview, there's not an awful lot of room for error.

Anyway!!! It was great to hear from Roberta, I always sing her harmonies and solo when I see GNR playing Heavens door :P Interesting interview! :) 

• GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I get your point, and if it's a good business arrangement for you then that's obviously a good thing. I don't even mind the super click bait type headlines, it's the quotes from the forum that bugged me. I have read some alright write ups on AN though, so it's not all good or bad.

I do however question why we're patting anyone on the back for correctly quoting someone? I mean, I know it's not always the norm with media outlets, but it is the job of a journalist to supply the correct context and quotation; and when we're talking about a clearly recorded 1-3hr long interview, there's not an awful lot of room for error.

Anyway!!! It was great to hear from Roberta, I always sing her harmonies and solo when I see GNR playing Heavens door :P Interesting interview! :) 

I have to agree. I work as a journalist myself and find that bratt is a disgrace for journalism with the way he is executing his work.

Just now, Carmenjello said:

I have to agree. I work as a journalist myself and find that bratt is a disgrace for journalism with the way he is executing his work.

My BA is in Broadcast Journalism. Unfortunately in 2018 journalism as we once knew it is very few and far in-between.

To clarify what I am "doing," AN is only featuring my podcast on their page and will continue to create articles for me, putting more eyes on it. I'm still doing my own thing and my episodes will continue to be posted on iHeart/iTunes/Spreaker/SoundCloud/Stitcher and my social media.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

I get it, I know many GNR fans don't like what he does, and I respect all of you and your opinions. We are a super passionate bunch. And honestly it's not my preferred style (the clickbait), and he knows that (and will probably read this...hi Brett).

I will say that since my London Hudson interview where he took the Chinese Democracy comments out of context in the headline (which are no longer there), his treatment of my interviews have been great. We spoke. Nothing taken out of context or misleading. He has always given me credit and links to my episodes, which I cannot say for all outlets...including some GNR sites which really has pissed me off. Without him transcribing my interviews, other sites like Blabbermouth and Ultimate Classic Rock probably would not have noticed me. So I have thank him and give him credit for taking the time to listen/transcribe. Especially on the Alan Niven interview, including the words from Alan "this is just a hypothetical" when referring to Izzy's feelings. That could have easily been a chance for him to make it really negative.

After his print interview with D'arcy from the Pumpkins, I reached out curiously why he didn't do it in podcast form. We spoke at length after that and I learned a lot more about him as a person. There will be a time when he comes on my show to address all of this.

I just want all of you to know that nothing changes on my end. The respect and honesty I give to my guests and all of you. I am just excited to have more eyes on my show which hopefully will lead to bigger and better guests for all of us to enjoy. I've been very lucky and overwhelmed with what I've been able to do thus far, but I have bigger goals. To keep doing the podcast, which I do for free, I'd love to gain sponsorship. That will only come if my audience continues to grow. His platform will help with that. And his plan of growing a AN podcast network could be very exciting for all rock fans. Believe it or not, like him or not, he does have some very cool ideas for the future.

I feel so much respect for what you've said here. I am one of those very few people who supports Brett with what he does and coming from Communications myself, I understand many of the decisions he's made.

Some stuff I have not liked but they are minimal things/errors... Lol, if some people would really know how a whole journalistic corporation works, they'd think of Brett as an "angel" :lol:

Websites and podcasts are so hard to keep up, maintain, make them popular... in this world of social media and fast things, websites are really old school now :unsure:

There's nothing wrong with joining forces and helping each other. It is a jungle out there and you guys have to be prepared. Also, I prefer people like you, working hard, self-managing yourselves than the ones who complain and have never started a biz or project of their own, but are quick to criticize when others do it.

Don't give up guys!! Long live the alternative journalism! :headbang:

• GNFNR 1

Really enjoyed listening to Roberta talk about her life, she sounds as if she would be great person to hang out with. Intresting it was only Axl who wanted the backing singers but it was Slash who set it up, makes you wonder how much the others compromised just to appease him. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 2:31 PM, killuridols said:

I feel so much respect for what you've said here. I am one of those very few people who supports Brett with what he does and coming from Communications myself, I understand many of the decisions he's made.

Some stuff I have not liked but they are minimal things/errors... Lol, if some people would really know how a whole journalistic corporation works, they'd think of Brett as an "angel" :lol:

Websites and podcasts are so hard to keep up, maintain, make them popular... in this world of social media and fast things, websites are really old school now :unsure:

There's nothing wrong with joining forces and helping each other. It is a jungle out there and you guys have to be prepared. Also, I prefer people like you, working hard, self-managing yourselves than the ones who complain and have never started a biz or project of their own, but are quick to criticize when others do it.

Don't give up guys!! Long live the alternative journalism! :headbang:

I agree IMO it is only a matter of time before Brandon becomes the go to guy for the Big Guns when they are ready to talk. I am absolutely amazed at his ability to pull off these interviews without sounding cliche-ish or as an overventhused fan boy. 

I like Eddie Trunk but anyone who knows what went down in 2006 knows Eddie has been milking that Axl interview since. He was never that big a guns fan as you’d think. Now he’s suddenly everyone in Guns and their side projects associates(Myles, Todd, bumblefoot etc) best friend. Hey good for him everything fell into place for him. He happened to be at the right place at the right time in 06 on air hanging with Baz and Axl being in town

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I agree IMO it is only a matter of time before Brandon becomes the go to guy for the Big Guns when they are ready to talk. I am absolutely amazed at his ability to pull off these interviews without sounding cliche-ish or as an overventhused fan boy. 

I like Eddie Trunk but anyone who knows what went down in 2006 knows Eddie has been milking that Axl interview since. He was never that big a guns fan as you’d think. Now he’s suddenly everyone in Guns and their side projects associates(Myles, Todd, bumblefoot etc) best friend. Hey good for him everything fell into place for him. He happened to be at the right place at the right time in 06 on air hanging with Baz and Axl being in town

That's very flattering. I should be so lucky if that happens, I've been grateful for who's been willing to talk to me this far. Jeff Rouse interview today!

Edited by Gambit83
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Brandon is very professional and I love his style. The podcast is professionally produced. He respects the timing, the interviews really flow.

I think Eddie Trunk belongs to a different generation. Radio days. And no, he's not a GN'R superfan, he is just a rock journalist. I respect his work. He's come a long way.

But I feel Brandon is a breeze of fresh air, he's a podcast guy, Internet era. I really hope this project sets the road for him to discover new horizons and find his place in big media.

Axl really does have a style of talking to non-mainstream channels when he wants to say something publicly. I mean, not in the 90s but in recent years he chose this forum to talk to, a magazine like Revolver in 2014 and the China Exchange event to be interviewed in 2016, just to name some examples. So I guess the possibility is there. It's just a matter of time.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

Brandon is very professional and I love his style. The podcast is professionally produced. He respects the timing, the interviews really flow.

I think Eddie Trunk belongs to a different generation. Radio days. And no, he's not a GN'R superfan, he is just a rock journalist. I respect his work. He's come a long way.

But I feel Brandon is a breeze of fresh air, he's a podcast guy, Internet era. I really hope this project sets the road for him to discover new horizons and find his place in big media.

Axl really does have a style of talking to non-mainstream channels when he wants to say something publicly. I mean, not in the 90s but in recent years he chose this forum to talk to, a magazine like Revolver in 2014 and the China Exchange event to be interviewed in 2016, just to name some examples. So I guess the possibility is there. It's just a matter of time.

Thank you sincerely. I've done FM radio on a handful of stations in my career and that has helped shape my style in a podcast approach. I'd listen to Eddie Trunk and wonder what I would do if I ever had a platform like his, never thinking it would be via a GNR podcast. I'm grateful GNR has the fan base it does that allows me to do something like this and not feel like I'm talking to the wind. It's week to week believe it or not, so who knows where this will go. Seem to be contacted by new listeners all the time from different countries, keeps me going. 

Hopefully one day Axl buys a radio station and I can be his Program Director :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• downzy unpinned this topic

They were all very talented, and she seems like a great person-she sings on Gilby's solo record, I think-she does a great job. That said, I was never a fan when the band added backup singers and the horn section. It seemed like there were 15 people out there during Paradise City at the end.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ericstacey said:

They were all very talented, and she seems like a great person-she sings on Gilby's solo record, I think-she does a great job. That said, I was never a fan when the band added backup singers and the horn section. It seemed like there were 15 people out there during Paradise City at the end.

There were more tambourine players than guitarists on stage