Serious question... Does anyone know what Slash's record contract is at the moment?

I'm asking this because I honestly don't know? I do know that if he is under contract to record and release a certain amount of albums with Myles and co, that could be WHY a new guns album isn't happening at the moment. Like if Slash HAS a 3 album contract, doesn't he have to fulfill THAT obligation before recording with Guns? Sometimes these business situations are what holds thing up, but most fans don't realize that. Like could Slash be in breach of contract if he doesn't fulfill that obligation before doing a Guns album? After his divorce, I'm sure a lawsuit is the last thing he wants. 

Could this be a potential roadblock for a new Guns album? Any insight anyone might have I'd appreciate.

• Like 1

My 2 cents are that the record company whether it was 3 or 5 albums probably understood that there would have been a chance of reconciliation with guns and that maybe the third album or any albums doesnt  have a release date set by the record company. The reason why slash has released music in short time is because he loves to create and tour i dont think the record company tell him when to record. Slashs albums here in oz are distributed by sony and slash has a good professional relationship with the head of sony in oz. I dont think the record deal has an end date and im sure they would have known there would be the possibility of a reunion at some stage and the contract would have been sogned around that. 

But at the time Slash signed that contract, a Guns possibility was LITERALLY "Not in this lifetime". So I have to disagree with you that he had a "Guns provision" in his contract. Again, this is all just speculation. 

Does anyone here actually know if Slash HAS a 3 or 5 album deal in his current contract? What got me thinking about this was, when Slash guests on others music, like Michael Jackson for example, in the album liner notes it will say "Slash appears COURTESY of Geffen records." So clearly the record company HAD to sign off on those appearances, so Slash HAD to ask permission from his record company in order to do it. So it begs the question why would his current label allow him to do a Guns album while he is still under contract? The only viable scenario I see, is if Guns were to sign on Slash's current label. Which isn't Guns a free agent right now? So I could see the potential for HUGE money, they might be trying to do a bidding war behind the scenes for all we know. But again, maybe Slash needs to finish up his current contract so that HE and AXL and the Guns name are all free agents. That would ensure top dollar bidding. 

Could be possible, is all I'm saying...

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

As far as I know, Slash has his own record label, Dik Hayd, so there are no contracts. EMI takes care of the distribution and that's it.

https://rateyourmusic.com/label/dik_hayd_records/

I just looked it up, and that's not entirely true. He is on Roadrunner Records which is owned by Warner Brothers. So essentially, he is signed by Warner Brothers. The Dik Hayed thing is his equvilant to Black Frog (Axl) or Uzi Sucide (Old Guns).

3 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I just looked it up, and that's not entirely true. He is on Roadrunner Records which is owned by Warner Brothers. So essentially, he is signed by Warner Brothers. The Dik Hayed thing is his equvilant to Black Frog (Axl) or Uzi Sucide (Old Guns).

I might be wrong but as far as I know, Roadrunner Records handles the distribution in the UK (and maybe some other places) just as EMI does in the States.

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Events/en-us/slash-signs-to-roadrunner-1104.aspx

• Like 1

I would think that Slash's Dik Hayd record label is pretty similar to Metallica's Blackened records in a sense that by forming their own "independent" labels, they get to call the shots on how and when exactly they want their material (albums, live dvds, etc.) to be distributed.  Of course, depending on region, the independent record labels would partner with a label like Roadrunner and the likes as a way to easily distribute the albums to big retail chains like Target, Walmart, etc. (I would definitely include Best Buy, but I hear they are doing away with selling albums in July).

So, in essence, I think Slash is basically calling his own shots and decides that now is the time to release an album with Myles and co. and is not really obligated by any big-shot record labels to get an album out or is in any rush to get an album out.

• Like 4

Whereas in the past many artists had an imprint/vanity label within a major, Slash's label, Dik Hayd, as already mentioned is a truly independent label.  Traditionally indie labels struck up Manufacture and Distribute or Press and Distribute (M&D, P&D) Deals with majors.  In these deals, depending on the Indie Lable's clout and contract, the M&D Label had a fair bit of power in the relationship.  The M&D Label could ink in an agreement for the albums to be turned in for a release in a specific quarter for instance.

Dik Hayd does there own manufacturing and is distributed, at least in some regions, by a rather new innovation in the industry.  EMI Lable Services is a fee-service that offers Label functions, as needed, depending on the indie labels wants and needs.  Its noteworthy that EMI Label Services launched in 2010, same year as Dik Hayds first release: Slash.  All this to say, EMI Label Services does not seek to dictate to the Labels they work for the way a traditional distributor may have; Slashs Label is free to operate how they see fit.

A source close to the situation said that while EMI will still offer label-like functions, and will still sign sound recording-only or publishing-only deals, but confirmed that its emphasis will be on managing wider range of rights – as well as providing modular, one-off services to indie bands that want to keep creative control and ownership of their master tapes. For them, EMI's Label Services division charges them fees to offer label-like functions including distribution, merch, iPhone apps, or whatever other part of "the machine" an artist might need. 

https://www.wired.com/2010/06/music-revolution-forces-major-label-emi-to-evolve/

gtC9jFfh.jpg

Edited by soon

Why don't yous leave these old men alone? :lol:  They blatantly don't give a shit about putting albums out, let em make a little pension padding money for their twilight years and stop givin' em the needle.  Alright, so they spunked off their best years, alright so they didn't give you enough through yours and theirs best years, just let em off now man, its elderly abuse :lol:  Record contract, he's Slash...and thats what he's gonna live off now for the next 20 odd years of round the town mileage he's got left in him.  Same with the rest of em.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

But at the time Slash signed that contract, a Guns possibility was LITERALLY "Not in this lifetime". So I have to disagree with you that he had a "Guns provision" in his contract. Again, this is all just speculation. 

Does anyone here actually know if Slash HAS a 3 or 5 album deal in his current contract? What got me thinking about this was, when Slash guests on others music, like Michael Jackson for example, in the album liner notes it will say "Slash appears COURTESY of Geffen records." So clearly the record company HAD to sign off on those appearances, so Slash HAD to ask permission from his record company in order to do it. So it begs the question why would his current label allow him to do a Guns album while he is still under contract? The only viable scenario I see, is if Guns were to sign on Slash's current label. Which isn't Guns a free agent right now? So I could see the potential for HUGE money, they might be trying to do a bidding war behind the scenes for all we know. But again, maybe Slash needs to finish up his current contract so that HE and AXL and the Guns name are all free agents. That would ensure top dollar bidding. 

Could be possible, is all I'm saying...

Slash doesn't have a record contract. His albums are recorded and funded by himself and then licensed to record companies that want to release and sell them in whichever region.

• GNFNR 1

16 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I'm asking this because I honestly don't know? I do know that if he is under contract to record and release a certain amount of albums with Myles and co, that could be WHY a new guns album isn't happening at the moment. Like if Slash HAS a 3 album contract, doesn't he have to fulfill THAT obligation before recording with Guns? Sometimes these business situations are what holds thing up, but most fans don't realize that. Like could Slash be in breach of contract if he doesn't fulfill that obligation before doing a Guns album? After his divorce, I'm sure a lawsuit is the last thing he wants. 

Could this be a potential roadblock for a new Guns album? Any insight anyone might have I'd appreciate.

sometimes the singer doesn't wanna rehearse, write songs, much less record or release them, but most fans dont realize that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Slash don't have his own label ?