STEVEN ADLER: "Izzy is just as heartbroken as I am that the three of them decided to leave us out and bring three strangers in–who are those people?"

15 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

'I love to play rock n' roll and I love to play for beautiful people and as far as I'm concerned the most beautiful people in the world that love to rock are in Australia.'  :vomit:

Two things you can count on with Steven: his jaw-dropping hyperbole and plugging his mother's book.  Naturally, he's brought Mum along on tour for a 'special' Q&A complete with 'no bullshit answers' from them both.  Heck, you'd think his mother was the sixth member of the band the way he touts her.

I find the guy about as sincere as a used car salesman, but I don't blame him for speaking out and harbouring resentment.

You would be bloody bitter.  You just would be.  It's his band, yet he's excluded from it.  If there ever was a remote chance of him being brought back into the fold, I'd say that chance is now dead in the water.  Axl and co. handled the whole Steven situation incredibly badly.  Sure, he's a liability, but I find it difficult to believe with their history of 'personal liabilities' that they couldn't have found some way to accommodate him.  They just couldn't be arsed, or didn't want to try finding a way, and put him in the too hard basket.  

Izzy?  Who knows with him.  I'm inclined to think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.  Izzy’s no push over and I doubt he’s ‘heartbroken’.

'I love to play rock n' roll and I love to play for beautiful people and as far as I'm concerned the most beautiful people in the world that love to rock are in Australia.'  :vomit:

Now now!!:lol:. I firmly believe outside of NA and SA Australia  GNR has the third biggest fan base. I have a gut feel we will see them here late this year after the Europe shows.

I was not sure to see him when adlers appetite play here but because he's brining his mother down and in which case im sure he will use that part of the tour to bad mouth the rest of the group (deserving or not) . I have no desire now to see him.

Edited by Sydney Fan

I think Axl should have swollowed his pride and done the AFD5 show by now.

If Axl really wanted to close the book on AFD5 and move on from that part of his past forever, they could have done it last year. Put the NITL dates back by one month so the last LA show is in November, then 2  weeks later do a 4 date show in theatres/clubs in the US just like they did for the theatre shows in 91. Charge as much for the privilidge to allow the fans to see them then close the book on AFD5 forever. Then Axl now has a chance to look into the future (if there will be one) with whatever lineup will be GNR and not have the AFD5 past following him like a shadow.

• Like 1

Nothing positive ever came from airing dirty laundry publicly in the media. 

I seriously doubt after reading this, and Adler's brother's idiot ravings that Slash, Axl and Duff are going to have a miraculous change of heart and run over each other scrambling to apologize to Adler and beg him to come be a member of GNR. :facepalm:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

He is listed as a co-writer.. His drumming on that album is iconic.. His contributions to songs like Brownstone, Jungle and Paradise City are more than noticeable and the songs wouldn't be the same without them.  He was also on an 8 song masterpiece called LIES and was involved with the creation of many of the Illusions songs.. Songs that in the end would have sounded better with him on them.

His drumming on that album has held up well compared to what a lot of drumming had become in the 80s. Over produced, terrible sounding echoey crap.

His drumming was a mix of punk, rock, metal, bluesy, groovy, funk stuff. I think people who play in bands know how they work, what makes things unique and how songs / drum parts are written. There is a real blend of style between the different sections of the songs, they still sound great today.  

I’d put my life on the fact that while Slash Izzy & Duff were jamming on acoustics, Steven was banging on pillows or pizza boxes with his sticks feeling out the song, and suggesting how many beats something should go for and how to transition between the intro/verse/bridge/solos.... 

Listen to him jam locomotive during that mates rehearsal! That’s the difference between Appetite & Illusions. Sorum was more plodding, his drum sound was shit  though in his defence on the illusions tour...

Songs like Don’t Cry sounded better with though with Steven behind the kit than the epic ballad shit they became with Sorum

Steven was a big part of the bands sound if you know what you are hearing.

Probably his greatest accomplishment in GNR was he a made the fucking cowbell sound acceptable. It was there in a cool Stones’y kinda way, and not in a Will Ferrell / reaper way... It gave them a unique quality as did all the rest of the guys with their nuances.

I guess if all you hear is the dude singing and maybe some guitar your gonna think “what the fuck, I could be a drummer it’s piss easy, he just sits there” 

It’s Like he’s the Homer of the operation. 

Well he is. But he can do one thing. Play the bollocks out of the drums.

He’s a genuine guy in he holds nothing back, he describes it in the wrong way, and with too much detail but he’s essentially an ok guy.

But he’s also a bag of spiders that’s been set loose, he’s akin to having a conversation with 18 chihuahuas....  that fucker will live until he’s 100. He’s too fucking happy. I couldn’t be around him for any longer than 90 seconds before something bad might happen. 😂 

Its obvious the guy never grew up. Cmon dude. It’s 2018...., average suburbia is doing drugs, having threesomes and drinking. Shut the fuck up and get on with it. It’s a part of life, but so is going to work and getting some shit done.

He clearly can’t do that. He’s like a child. Slash, Duff & Izzy could get their shit done. Not Steven. I doubt that will ever change.

But his contribution to the bands sound is there on any number of songs in any number of ways to be heard. 

• Like 1

Adler should seriously stop mentioning 'The Four Agreements' in interviews from now on. He isn't really adhering to them in any imaginable way :(

The Four Agreements are: 

1. Be Impeccable with your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don’t Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

• Like 1

I laughed the other day. A fb group am a admit on is doing a interview with adler for his upcoming Australian tour. This what his manger sent to us :lol:

jjj_zps6u7bkhoi.png

Edited by Gibbo
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

How do you know what he said in person? And why does it take balls? He is just saying he was heartbroken..

I wrote I THINK. I don't KNOW anything.

Steven just seems like the kind of guy who would be nice to your face pretending there's no problem and then he'll speak his mind behind your back. I could imagine he doesn't want to confront Axl in person because he knows Slash and Duff will have Axls back and it will only ruin things for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

AFD is a classic album and that time period is mythical, leave it alone.

Exactly. I guess some of these people want to return to their teenage years. But Appetite was 30 yrs ago, the guys aren’t in their 20s any more, it’s 2018, and it just wouldn’t sound or look the same, even if Axl rasped most of it. 

Not to mention that once this happened (as a one-off thing), people would want to see it again, rendering it a much more difficult situation for Frank, Richard etc. – they would get to the same position again like in 2001/02, where they were more like "tolerated" hired guns other than anything else. 

As Steven said, I do believe once the 5 of them got into one studio again, the magic could happen indeed, but they won’t create another Appetite anyway, and playing just this one record live would seriously be just that "nostalgia act" like Pitman said. 
Move on. The past won’t repeat itself. Be glad for the holy Axl-Slash-Duff trinity... and for god’s sake, stop whining.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 4

Generally speaking, life’s not fair. That applies to GnR and everything else. So as much as I love Steven and Izzy , I can understand how NITL came to be the way it is. 

P.S. : If Izzy dropped a classic rock n roll album out of the sky I’d be pretty satisfied 

Edited by Get In the Ring Motherfker
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Exactly. I guess some of these people want to return to their teenage years. But Appetite was 30 yrs ago, the guys aren’t in their 20s any more, it’s 2018, and it just wouldn’t sound or look the same, even if Axl rasped most of it. 

Not to mention that once this happened (as a one-off thing), people would want to see it again, rendering it a much more difficult situation for Frank, Richard etc. – they would get to the same position again like in 2001/02, where they were more like "tolerated" hired guns other than anything else. 

As Steven said, I do believe once the 5 of them got into one studio again, the magic could happen indeed, but they won’t create another Appetite anyway, and playing just this one record live would seriously be just that "nostalgia act" like Pitman said. 
Move on. The past won’t repeat itself. Be glad for the holy Axl-Slash-Duff trinity... and for god’s sake, stop whining.

The issue is not another AFD. Axl, Slash, and Duff are not making any new album. In fact Slash will join Conspirators again. And Axl might join AC/DC. So Axl and Slash are willing to work with other people who have nothing to do with GN'R. Axl/DC will be some kind of nostalgia as well. But they reject the idea of working with Izzy and Adler? Maybe Axl and Slash have good reasons to do things the way they do it. I would like to know why. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjPv5SPGjHs3P5l4Lt4k4

And don't forget quite a few people very much associated with Slash and Duff have lambasted Rose/Nugnr, including this by Weiland,

"Get in the ring. Go to the gym, motherfucker, or if you prefer, get a new wig, motherfucker. I think I'll resist the urge to 'stoop' to your level. Oh shit, here it comes, you fat, botox-faced, wig-wearin' fuck! O.K., I feel better now.

"Don’t think for a second we don't know where those words came from. Your unoriginal, uncreative little mind — the same mind that had to rely on its bandmates to write melodies and lyrics. Who's the fraud now, bitch?

"Damn, I couldn't imagine people writing for me. How many albums have you put out, man, and how long did it take the current configuration of this so-called 'band' to make this album? How long? And without the only guys that validated the name.

"How dare you! Shame on you! How dare you call our bass player 'spineless?' We toured our album over a year and a half. How many shows have you played over the last ten years? Oh, that's right — you bailed out on your long-awaited comeback tour, leaving your remaining fans feeling, shall we say, a trifle miffed?! I won't even list what I've accomplished because I don't need to. What we're talking about here is a frightened little man who once thought he was king, but unfortunately this king without his court is nothing but a memory of the asshole he once was."

This by Ozzy,

The fire started long ago
The flames burned out, still embers glow
So charred and black
There's nothing left to burn, to burn

We had the same dream
Lived life to extreme
A loaded gun jammed by a rose

The thorns are knots around your head
Your ego cursed you till you bled
You cannot crucify the dead
To me you're dead, yeah